PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

NoGroinNoKrav
9/06/2010 6:26am,
Oh and I finally remembered the worst part.

When I was a kid I was obsessed with rurouni kenshin (I still am but I'm not delushioned) I was so obsessed I bought a kendo book and practiced strikes with a peace of wood. I even added the gatotsu to my list of deadly moves.

After that I posted on gamefaqs fourm a topic "how to fight at close range with a sword" got myself chewed out and was upset for a little while till I looked for real martial arts.

I tried some TKD at an actually good TKD school. Though to impractical. The worst part was I was deciding between wrestling or TKD.....I chose TKD.

Before I got my yellow belt in TKD I quit and started doing Krav a few months later. Just found a local MMA school gonna check it out if I pass my license test the 15th. So yeah you guys thought I was bad when I came here you should have seen me when I was younger.

Bare graves
9/06/2010 1:29pm,
ninjutsu was good.

only took a few play fights to realise the thousand different uneffective teachniques are hard to draw upon even when rolling with a firend

battusai
9/06/2010 9:36pm,
Oh and I finally remembered the worst part.

When I was a kid I was obsessed with rurouni kenshin (I still am but I'm not delushioned) I was so obsessed I bought a kendo book and practiced strikes with a peace of wood. I even added the gatotsu to my list of deadly moves.

After that I posted on gamefaqs fourm a topic "how to fight at close range with a sword" got myself chewed out and was upset for a little while till I looked for real martial arts.

I tried some TKD at an actually good TKD school. Though to impractical. The worst part was I was deciding between wrestling or TKD.....I chose TKD.

Before I got my yellow belt in TKD I quit and started doing Krav a few months later. Just found a local MMA school gonna check it out if I pass my license test the 15th. So yeah you guys thought I was bad when I came here you should have seen me when I was younger.

I was crazy about Kenshin, too. I had a similar experience that you had, except I didn't try sword techniques, I tried that thing that Sanosuke did with his knuckles to pulverize rock. I thought it was awesome until I actually tried it on a wall. Ouch...

MuffinGod
9/16/2010 5:43pm,
I used to believe that Aikido was good.

RainBurgess
9/18/2010 1:22pm,
I use to believe that having a ground game was not important because nobody could keep me there. After fighting behind an apatment complex one day while drunk..... haha Hey I was a 17 year old kid. In my fight I had a guy named Tommy mount twice. He punched on my face until he got tired. I got my drunk ass back up and punched him in the mouth again and we went right back to the mount lol. He controlled me well and was much smaller. I started working ground after the face healed up. It was my first loss and had a major psychological toll on me at that time. At that time I had 12 years in Wushu and I also cross trained in ITF Tae Kwon Do. Back then MMA was not popular and people would dance in front of the mirrors all day. I use to be called a Dojo hopper. All I wanted to do was fight. It was rare back then to find schools that actually went full contact.

Larus marinus
9/18/2010 9:11pm,
...that all/the majority of Japanese people had an encyclopaedic knowledge of Japanese martial arts and that you could just fly out to Japan and ask a random passer-by outside the airport about 'how do find somewhere to learn <obscure and esoteric koryu art>?' and reasonably expect an informative answer and directions.

I remember reading a forum post from someone who went out to Japan on a whim, expecting something along these lines. I think that he knew what city the dojo was located in and the name of the master, but that was all - and he was surprised to discover that random Japanese people he asked had never even heard of the art, let alone the man.

daishi
9/18/2010 9:43pm,
Very true, I spoke to someone in Japan about martial arts and they said "really, you do that? That's for old people."

Iron_Stance
9/19/2010 12:45pm,
i bought into every shaolin myth there is.......oh man i was so stupid!

PDA
9/20/2010 9:13am,
Wrinkley old men who could hardly walk could kick young strong faster guys arses.

Larus marinus
9/20/2010 9:49am,
Wrinkley old men who could hardly walk could kick young strong faster guys arses.

Yeah, me too. There are loads of stories about Ueshiba along those lines. You've heard the famous one about him (in his 60s) near enough snapping Kenshiro Abbe's (then a Judo champion) arm when they first met, I guess...

EDIT: I just had a read of his Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morihei_Ueshiba#Legacy

Have a look at the list of students. Damn Seagal nuthuggers.

tao.jonez
9/21/2010 12:18pm,
I used to believe that clasping both of your hands together into one double-sized fist was an effective technique. (gable-grip and hit with essentially a tennis backhand type swing)

Captain Kirk did it, so why wouldn't it work for me?!

daishi
9/21/2010 4:20pm,
Yeah, me too. There are loads of stories about Ueshiba along those lines. You've heard the famous one about him (in his 60s) near enough snapping Kenshiro Abbe's (then a Judo champion) arm when they first met, I guess...

EDIT: I just had a read of his Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morihei_Ueshiba#Legacy

Have a look at the list of students. Damn Seagal nuthuggers.

I didn't think it was Abe who's forearm he broke...but I could be wrong. Same demonstration he killed a student as well....well actually the student died a couple days later from some weird complication deriving from either internal swelling or concussion, something like that. I think it was a combination of freak accident and getting a little too excited performing in front of the emperor thus thumping his student a little too excitedly. These are pretty tame Ueshiba stories comparatively. There's the dodge the bullet one, and the 'no one could touch him' one. I've seen videos of the dodge swords circle thing as indicated in the wikipedia. For whatever reasons it doesn't really look all that impressive...Shioda used to do the same thing, it just sounds more impressive than it looks. Oh, most of the craziest BS about ueshibha is made up by others...kind of like "my dad is bigger than your dad!" type arguments. Not to name names, but a lot of these come from someone/s who translate books from Japanese to English....or so I am told.

I don't know about wrinkly old men....but I've been owned by old men before. Old man strength is real. My buddy used to visit a BJJ/JJJ school with guys from his SEAL team and they said despite not training regularly they still held their own....until they rolled with "the old guys" as he called them. He said while they could generally do well with just shear aggression and unwilingness to tap against regular junior-mid students they instantly got owned by the older guys (like guys in their 50's).

Larus marinus
9/21/2010 4:58pm,
I didn't think it was Abe who's forearm he broke...but I could be wrong. Same demonstration he killed a student as well....well actually the student died a couple days later from some weird complication deriving from either internal swelling or concussion, something like that. I think it was a combination of freak accident and getting a little too excited performing in front of the emperor thus thumping his student a little too excitedly. These are pretty tame Ueshiba stories comparatively. There's the dodge the bullet one, and the 'no one could touch him' one. I've seen videos of the dodge swords circle thing as indicated in the wikipedia. For whatever reasons it doesn't really look all that impressive...Shioda used to do the same thing, it just sounds more impressive than it looks. Oh, most of the craziest BS about ueshibha is made up by others...kind of like "my dad is bigger than your dad!" type arguments. Not to name names, but a lot of these come from someone/s who translate books from Japanese to English....or so I am told.

Yeah, there's definitely some of that. I think that there's also an element of 'you can't say our art is useless in the real world - look how tough and amazing its founder was!' going on there.

Ignoring the distinct possibilities that (this is not specifically about Ueshiba):

a) The stories have been lovingly embiggened over the years, or outright fabricated.
b) He trained in a far more realistic manner back in the day than the person making the argument.
c) He didn't nut-ride his own masters and close off his mind to the possibility of learning and integrating new things from outside the systems he'd been taught.

I don't know about wrinkly old men....but I've been owned by old men before. Old man strength is real. My buddy used to visit a BJJ/JJJ school with guys from his SEAL team and they said despite not training regularly they still held their own....until they rolled with "the old guys" as he called them. He said while they could generally do well with just shear aggression and unwilingness to tap against regular junior-mid students they instantly got owned by the older guys (like guys in their 50's).

Oh yeah, high-level skill and years of experience with bending limbs and choking guys can certainly beat pure strength and aggression, from what I've read and seen. Not sure what percentage of the time it can, mind...

excludedmiddle
9/21/2010 7:00pm,
Oh yeah, high-level skill and years of experience with bending limbs and choking guys can certainly beat pure strength and aggression, from what I've read and seen. Not sure what percentage of the time it can, mind...

I absolutely must share this story and this is kinda related.

Ok, so I have been a BJJ blue belt for about a year now and purple belts still seem mostly untouchable to me. Last night though only two of us showed up for the no-gi class (first time that's ever happened to me) and the other guy is an older purple belt. He looks like he's in his mid-to-late forties. It was just the two of us rolling almost the entire time. I don't like rolling with this guy because he always seems to go 110% when he's rolling with younger guys (which is something I've noticed with a lot of guys that age) and he rolls kinda "dirty". Near the end of class he got me in a crucifix and was trying to choke me with his free arm. I defended the choke, but he started pressing down really hard on my trachea. When that didn't work the guy cupped my nose and mouth trying to get me to tap from lack of air (I found out later that's actually legal, but I still think it's a dick move). It kinda pissed me off and I was more determined to get out. I was able to get out and got to the turtle position and was able to grab one of his arms and rolled him over. I ended up with my back on top of him, somehow turned into half-guard, passed to mount and forced a quick Americana and the guy yells "ah, tap tap!".

So yeah, I tapped my first purple belt and am god damned proud of it.
I found out the guy also teaches krav maga, which explains the fighting dirty feeling I get from him.

Katriona1992
10/05/2010 9:57am,
I used to believe that I could kick people way up into the air, above my head, and they would fall half a soccer field away from where I was standing.

I also used to believe that I could, one day, spar against a whole battlefield of soldiers (like, more than one hundred) and come out victorious and not even tired.

I used to watch too many martial arts movie.

battlefields
10/05/2010 10:40am,
I was never that delusional.