PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

evol1349
1/17/2010 10:12am,
my fav was that a black belt ment you where teh deadly.untill my first instructor let me peek at his scrape book of 'idiots".black belts being killed in barfights..etc.and his last remark..a black belt vs bullet doesn't work.common sense does.

kalavic
2/10/2010 8:13pm,
That Asians were inherently better suited to the martial arts than westerners, and that to have a chance to grasp the true power of their martial art we must adopt cultures.

That being at one with one's spirit in a fight was more important than size, training experience and strength.

That boxing was lame macho foolishness, and that a theoretical understanding of snap kicks was more than enough to handle a golden glove boxer.

That the "will to survive" was enough to endure harsh punishment in a fight.

That redirecting your opponent's energy was the magical key to all success.

kalavic
2/11/2010 3:34pm,
and my personal favorite:

For Aikido masters there's pretty much no point in buckling the safety belt in a car because they're safer being flung out of the vehicle in a crash where they can more evenly roll it out. I so believed that one!

Cefter51
2/11/2010 4:21pm,
I used to believe that all those ancient, white-bearded, droopy-moustached 10th dan Supreme Grandmasters who live in temples and caves (behind waterfalls!) in Japan, Korea and China were quite literally the most deadly men in the world - having developed near-supernatural skills and borderline mystic powers from a lifetime of training, meditation and chi manipulation.

I believed that they could probably kill any other man with one punch/kick if challenged, rip out hearts, punch all the way through guys, dodge bullets, perform no-touch knockdowns/throws, jump 30 feet into the air from standing, project chi into swords and cut through anything, etc - but they didn't generally do this unless there was no other option as they had come to understand that martial arts are studied so that one does not need to fight... :eusa_sile

I had a friends roommate tell me this exact thing once while we were watching a kung fu movie. I told him that it was a myth, but I don't think he believed me.

feral00
2/11/2010 5:18pm,
I used to think a black belt meant you were better, until I got one. Now I know its experience and skill that make a martial artist.

pokeroo
2/11/2010 5:25pm,
Another thing I used to believe, I used to beleive that if someone went at you with a karate punch you could break their arm by hitting their elbow with one palm and their wrist with the other right at the end of their strike.

Speaking of kung-fu... One guy once told me that shaolin monks can kick behind their shoulders right from standing position, and that while most people telegraph kicks by sinking their weight first, monks practice and stretch their hamstrings so that they can kick you without sinking into it. Man am I ever tired of hearing how deadly martial arts are. My dad who did maybe a couple aikido lessons in his life mentioned that Aikido can be deadly.

:eusa_wall

Larus marinus
2/12/2010 1:14am,
and my personal favorite:

For Aikido masters there's pretty much no point in buckling the safety belt in a car because they're safer being flung out of the vehicle in a crash where they can more evenly roll it out. I so believed that one!

Heh, did your Aikido master tell you that whilst you were riding up front with him?

How did he explain away the fact that he was slugging dark rum from the bottle at the same time - and had a loaded+chambered pistol jammed down the front of his pants? :happy7:

beardedtaco
2/12/2010 6:53am,
I believed a lot of that too - also that kiaiing or shouting out the name of the attack you were carrying out ("FLYING KICK!") would make it more powerful by forcing chi into it or something.

What are you talking about ? I still do this all the time. Yelling the name of an attack as you do it adds 100% awesomeness to your technique. But you have to say it like "Flying Kickuuuuuuu!" or it won't work.

I used to believe I was a real martial artist. Now I just work hard and keep my chin down.

MMAMickey
2/12/2010 8:40am,
That boxing was lame macho foolishness, and that a theoretical understanding of snap kicks was more than enough to handle a golden glove boxer.

I was once a disciple of the krotty.. and I too beleived this garbage. at 16 I actually got asked to leave my dojo and go to my sensei's associate's MMA gym because I was 'taking sparring too seriously'.. I put on the boxing gloves, got in the cage and was promptly beat to **** by a thai boxer, a wrestler and a boxer (separately)

..now I test my skills instead of sitting back on theory.

Kovacs
2/12/2010 9:06am,
I used to believe that a pak-sao or bong-sao could stop jabs. Imagine my surprise when the follow up cross fractured my nose.

MMAMickey
2/12/2010 10:30am,
I used to believe that a pak-sao or bong-sao could stop jabs. Imagine my surprise when the follow up cross fractured my nose.

if only chinaboxer was here.. he could show us all t3h r34l bong sau

bdang
2/16/2010 8:43pm,

Does that mean it stopped the jab?

JJX
2/16/2010 10:47pm,
I used to believe that the Rising Dragon Punch from Street Fighter would actually work in a real fight... 15 years ago.

Now, not so much.

Kovacs
2/17/2010 9:15am,
Does that mean it stopped the jab?

No, the bong-sao I used from a chain punch was too slow and it folded leaving me open for the cross, my right hand was coming up but was also too slow.

Butthurt, I tried training with a mate that boxed afterwards (head guards, light gloves, full contact etc) and I still couldn't get it right, the pak-sao fared a little better but wasn't enough if the boxer was committed. It could have been that my Chun sucked but it was enough to make me lose faith in those moves and nothings convinced me otherwise, yet.

Sibylla
2/17/2010 10:49am,
That you need a minimum of athletic ability and social skills to go far in budo. You don't. In some arts I would say it's even an advantage to be a fat and socially handicapped geek.

gregaquaman
2/17/2010 11:25am,
that one shot could ko a guy

that taking on 3 or 4 guys would be easy