PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

Lazydishwasher
12/27/2009 7:51pm,
I used to believe that all people with big muscles were good in a fight.
Used to believe that I could beat a trained fighter by going berserk on him.

Used to also think that grabbing and striking sensitive areas in my sparring was cheating and thus wrong.

Used to think that I could take a cut from a knife with my arm and shrug it off.

Flail_Crapple
12/27/2009 11:59pm,
I used to believe that all people with big muscles were good in a fight.

It is a better indicator than possession of a blackbelt.

mcj1013
12/28/2009 4:15pm,
This thread is starting to make me uncomfortable...you know those websites around that have kinda normal content, but you know it's only there for freaks to get off to? That's the kinda vibe I get from this place.

I predict people are drawn to this place because they feel kind of a masturbatory pleasure of admitting their dirty secrets. It's almost like they're having way too much fun 'confessing' this. You'll notice the only people posting have between 5-20 posts. Pretty sure this thread is the reason they come.

Sorry, just creeped me out.

When your a new user to a forum it takes awhile to figure out good topics to start a thread and to get involved in intense discussion, etc. So a topic like this that's easy to just post what you think and move on is attractive to somebody who's new to this type of thing.

Larus marinus
12/28/2009 4:54pm,
I used to believe that all those ancient, white-bearded, droopy-moustached 10th dan Supreme Grandmasters who live in temples and caves (behind waterfalls!) in Japan, Korea and China were quite literally the most deadly men in the world - having developed near-supernatural skills and borderline mystic powers from a lifetime of training, meditation and chi manipulation.

I believed that they could probably kill any other man with one punch/kick if challenged, rip out hearts, punch all the way through guys, dodge bullets, perform no-touch knockdowns/throws, jump 30 feet into the air from standing, project chi into swords and cut through anything, etc - but they didn't generally do this unless there was no other option as they had come to understand that martial arts are studied so that one does not need to fight... :eusa_sile

tao.jonez
12/29/2009 3:43pm,
I believed that people (especially Asian people) fought by jumping at one another and dueling in the air with fists, feet, swords, etc.

I believed that the best type of training was when hundreds of people stood in formation and did punches and kicks while making a thundrous "kiai".

I believed that properly trained blind people could kick ass by listening to their opponents movements. Even in a loud, crowded place.

mcj1013
12/29/2009 5:06pm,
I used to believe that all those ancient, white-bearded, droopy-moustached 10th dan Supreme Grandmasters who live in temples and caves (behind waterfalls!) in Japan, Korea and China were quite literally the most deadly men in the world - having developed near-supernatural skills and borderline mystic powers from a lifetime of training, meditation and chi manipulation.

I believed that they could probably kill any other man with one punch/kick if challenged, rip out hearts, punch all the way through guys, dodge bullets, perform no-touch knockdowns/throws, jump 30 feet into the air from standing, project chi into swords and cut through anything, etc - but they didn't generally do this unless there was no other option as they had come to understand that martial arts are studied so that one does not need to fight... :eusa_sile

Too many movies and video games as a child perhaps? haha

Larus marinus
12/29/2009 7:00pm,
I believed that people (especially Asian people) fought by jumping at one another and dueling in the air with fists, feet, swords, etc.

I believed that the best type of training was when hundreds of people stood in formation and did punches and kicks while making a thundrous "kiai".

I believed that properly trained blind people could kick ass by listening to their opponents movements. Even in a loud, crowded place.

Hahaha, yeah. I believed a lot of that too - also that kiaiing or shouting out the name of the attack you were carrying out ("FLYING KICK!") would make it more powerful by forcing chi into it or something. Note: I was a *really* little kid when I thought this - and I wasn't alone in that thought. Loads of kids would do it during playfights at school.

Too many movies and video games as a child perhaps? haha

You've hit the nail on the head there, sir. I knew that movies and video games were exaggerated but I thought that there was a small kernel of truth in there, martial arts being all 'mystical' and that.

The belief that 'each dan grade = something like 10x more skilful than the last' and that therefore, the old 10th dan guys could kick literally everyone else's ass (in regular fighting) endured much longer.

Ben Grimm
12/30/2009 1:15am,
I used to believe that Wing Chun was 'teh deadly.'

mcj1013
12/30/2009 9:55am,
You mean it's not?...

tao.jonez
12/30/2009 10:02am,

It IS. But only the real Chun which you clearly don't have.

Also, I used to believe that the ability to kick someone in the head while standing toe-to-toe with them would come in handy one day. So I stretched and practiced splits day after day until I could do that kick. It never came in handy.

Schattenfaust
12/30/2009 10:05am,
Bloody hell, why do people keep dredging this thing up?

Sri Hanuman
12/30/2009 10:11am,
I used to think BJJ was a joke. Then I was politely introduced to a pair of balls right before a painful armbar.

Result:

BJJ = humiliation, THEN pain

tao.jonez
12/30/2009 10:33am,
My first experience with BJJ was not humiliation then pain. It was extreme confusion (where is his face / how am I pinning my own arm / what's he doing to my necAAAAARRGGHHH!), then a jolt of adrenaline coupled with suffocation and brief shock induced paralysis.

Only after I was released did the humiliation set in. Not because I lost but because I had no freaking idea HOW I lost.

Sri Hanuman
12/30/2009 10:35am,
Balls To The Face Jitsu. No can mess with.

permahudef
1/10/2010 5:53pm,
I started training karate at a young age and actually believed that when I earned my black belt that I'd have to register my hands and feet as deadly weapons. I don't know where that sh*t even started, but it'd sure be funny if you had to go to the post office or something and register yourself lol.+
Balls To The Face Jitsu. No can mess with. = Balls registered as deadly weapons. Think of the t-shirts, belt buckles, and pickup lines!

tao.jonez
1/14/2010 10:00am,
I just show people my balls - when they see the black belt I wear around my scrote I can see the fear in their eyes.