PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

Sri Hanuman
10/09/2009 8:20am,
It's funnier to let them self-destruct under the weight of their own bullshit.

Problem is twofold:

1. That may take up to 30 years
2. Some are too dumb to realize their own bullshit, and go through life thinking their dim mak will one day save their life. Most never find out.

Ben Grimm
10/10/2009 12:55am,
Kick him in the head. Worked for me.

I floored him with a solid right cross. Right on the nose. Blood spurted all over the place. He never spouted his **** again. Guy was a tool. Told us all how his father was ex KGB and all this other bullshit too.

Ben Grimm
10/10/2009 3:42am,
Reminds me of this other guy I know. He believes that Qi can stop bullets. Told me stories similar to Bruce Downey's. The guy could hit though.

Larus marinus
10/10/2009 7:03am,
Problem is twofold:

1. That may take up to 30 years
2. Some are too dumb to realize their own bullshit, and go through life thinking their dim mak will one day save their life. Most never find out.

Well, assuming that they actually went somewhere to learn Dim Mak and the other shadow arts from a 'pro'...

Na, these are the guys who just copy stuff from martial arts movies, practice in the privacy of their own homes and seriously think that they're teh deadly - *and* are old enough to know better.

I can imagine them now - trying to break railway sleepers in their garages with a one-inch punch (a-la Uma Thurman) and seriously screwing up their hands...

Ben Grimm
10/10/2009 8:05am,
And even after that, they'll still keep LARPing along.

DTANK
10/11/2009 10:58am,
I woke up one day at the age of 23...let me explain. I was a 2d black, went to advanced classes in SD every weekend all day Sat and Sun, and training in Muay Thai, wrestled in junior and high school, and had my own dojo, where I taught daily. I trained an average of 6 hours a day, getting prepared for full contact karate matches, (as they were known at the time...no cages or MMA back then, fellas). I also trained 3 nights per week with Stephen Hayes in Dayton, OH in a very popular MA, Ninjutsu. Needless to say...MA was my life. I was strong, fast, talented. In an age of weekend warriors, I was putting forth maximum effort, and it showed. My PKA, (Professional Karate Association) manager used to take me to surounding schools and have me fight their top black belts, instructors, whoever they wanted to put up against me. I kicked ass, ( hardly surprising, considering my regiment). Then one day he brought in a much older, thirty something, out of shape looking, over the hill, heavyweight boxer. I'm not talking Mike Tyson or Buster Douglas here...just a ham and egger, nobody famous, nobody ranked. The guy moved slow, talked slower, and had a really nice paunch going for him. When we started sparring, I was moving so fast I was impressing even myself. I had to be at least 2 or 3 times faster, more flexible, and in far better shape...hell, I LOOKED damn good too! All I can tell you is, I saw the punch coming, but it was sooo deceptive. There was no telegraphing at all, no tell-tale bunching of the shoulder, no split second warning...one millisecond nothing, the next, BLAM. He hit me so hard, right on the button, that I really thought we had had a power outage. The lights went off, then back on. Somehow I had been teleported about 10 feet back from where I had been standing a moment before. I looked at my manager, who had a deer in the headlights look on his face. ( Later, I found out he was simply amazed that I was standing). If it were not for my extreme conditioning...I'd probably have died on the spot, or at least taking a nice long nap.
My point is simple: never play someone else's game in a fight situation. A boxer will kill you if you try to box him, ( especially if he outweighs you by 75 pounds), a wrestler will out wrestle you, a BJJ student will out Jiu Jitsu you, a TKD student will out kick you...and so on and so on. When in a fight, whether it be tournament, sparring, MMA, or heavyweight championship of the world...make your opponent play your game, not the other way around. How do you think Muhammed Ali beat George Foreman the second time? Cause he was bigger? No. Cause he was faster? No. Cause he was smarter? Yes.
Don't get caught in the ego trap of belt ranks, or my style's better than yours. That's all bullshit supposition anyways. Take the best from all styles...that is, the best that you personally can perform to the best of your ability, and make it your game. Look at Bill "Superfoot" Wallace. He had a left foot and a left hook, and everybody knew it. That's it...yet he was the middle weight champ of the world.

excludedmiddle
11/12/2009 5:31am,
I used to think the years spent doing forms + sparring in Kenpo would all somehow, as they told us, "come together" around the time I tested for my BB and suddenly I would be able to react with complete muscle memory to absolutely anything and be able to pull off Bruce Lee type stuff in real life. Once I started watching UFC (in particular all of the early UFCs when it was style vs. style), I got extremely realistic about martial arts. My problem now is that I want to go learn some realistic stand-up skills (was thinking an MMA place if not boxing or Muay Thai), but I discovered another Kenpo place which seems to be in that mystical 1% of good TMA places (they produced at least two pro MMA fighters, one of which became a KOTC champ and then fought in UFC) and they've been kicking all the local TMA ass pretty bad for the past 30 years (they apparently don't allocate much time to forms at all).

I'm very conflicted because I know I will probably learn to fight much better at a MT, Boxing or MMA gym, but... the mystique! Getting a legitimate BB at a place that is not BJJ or Judo! etc! ****, what should I do?

Kovacs
11/12/2009 6:16am,
As a kid I thought that all eastern Asian people did martial arts.

Asriel
11/12/2009 7:02am,
As a kid I thought that all eastern Asian people did martial arts.

They don't?

Seriously though, my GF is Asian and she still has people assuming she knows Kung Fu

Kovacs
11/12/2009 7:08am,
They don't?

Seriously though, my GF is Asian and she still has people assuming she knows Kung Fu

Jesus, I was about 9 or 10 when I thought that. That must be a tad annoying.

Sri Hanuman
11/12/2009 8:50am,
They don't?

Would it be better if she did? (know kung fu)

Asriel
11/12/2009 9:10am,
Not really. I'd rather she weren't under any false illusions about being able to protect herself

Sri Hanuman
11/12/2009 9:33am,
Mrs. Humanzee did Aikido. I feel the same as you...

permahudef
11/12/2009 1:48pm,
As a kid I thought that all eastern Asian people did martial arts.I think most of the N. American population still believes this...

t3h d3adly
11/12/2009 3:29pm,
What about the sterotypes of brazillians doing BJJ, has that swung around?

Sri Hanuman
11/12/2009 3:31pm,
Yep, that BJJ rumor is bull. Everybody knows all Brazilians box when not doing Capoeira!!! :)