PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

Larus marinus
10/06/2009 8:56am,
I used to think that jumping kicks would always win a fight. I also used to think that Wing Chun was the anwer to everything after getting my ass kicked using the aforementioned jumping kicks.

After too much Van Damme in my childhood, I thought that multiple 360-degree jumping roundhouse kicks in rapid succession > all. Even practised them (badly) in my bedroom.

tao.jonez
10/07/2009 9:07am,
I used to think that carrying "numchuks" in my back pocket made me teh badazz.

They often fell out while I was riding my Huffy to the 7-11 to get Dinosour Eggs for $.15 each.

Sri Hanuman
10/07/2009 9:09am,

Same ****, but in high school, and 1st year of college...
**** Ashida Kim...

kcc
10/07/2009 5:16pm,
I used to believe training, even somewhat hard, for a couple of hours a week was in any way preparation for one, or two, or God forbid, three minutes of life-on-the-line, this guy wants to rip my head off combat.

Hell it's not even preparation for 3 minutes of competitive fighting!

omoplatypus
10/07/2009 6:56pm,

They often fell out while I was riding my Huffy to the 7-11 to get Dinosour Eggs for $.15 each.
you have to run them through the middle back belt loop on your jeans and let them dangle by the chain.

don't ask why i know, i just do....

tao.jonez
10/08/2009 9:53am,
WK - I would plus rep you for that nugget of insight, but your avatar....

Cy Q. Faunce
10/08/2009 9:54am,
you have to run them through the middle back belt loop on your jeans and let them dangle by the chain.
How do you deploy them in a hurry? Rip the loop open? Few things feel sillier than fumbling for your melee weapon.

tao.jonez
10/08/2009 9:59am,
How do you deploy them in a hurry? Rip the loop open? Few things feel sillier than fumbling for your melee weapon.

If you are carrying deadly weapons in plain view, you are clearly not concerned with deployment. Everyone who sees you will know that death awaits them should they cross you.

Weren't you ever 10?

Cy Q. Faunce
10/08/2009 10:00am,
If you are carrying deadly weapons in plain view, you are clearly not concerned with deployment. Everyone who sees you will know that death awaits them should they cross you.

Weren't you ever 10?
My father said I was born old.

Also, I went to some gladiator academies in my youth.

Sri Hanuman
10/08/2009 10:01am,

don't ask why i know, i just do....

I've once hand-sown a nunchuck pouch that attached to the lower leg underneath the jeans. Took it to a movie theater. Never did that again.

Larus marinus
10/08/2009 12:22pm,
I've once hand-sown a nunchuck pouch that attached to the lower leg underneath the jeans. Took it to a movie theater. Never did that again.

I just read that as 'nutsack pouch'. True story.

Sri Hanuman
10/08/2009 12:55pm,
I just read that as 'nutsack pouch'. True story.

Naw, that's where I kept my throwing stars.
Still have em.

Larus marinus
10/09/2009 3:46am,
Naw, that's where I kept my throwing stars.
Still have em.

I once had the idea of making an incision in the soles of my shoes and hiding throwing knives inside. Didn't work because my mum wouldn't let me own any throwing knives.

Ben Grimm
10/09/2009 4:07am,
I had a classmate who thought he was a grandmaster of Lin Kuei. I even saw a certificate he made up and printed saying he was a brown belt in Japanese ninjutsu.

Sri Hanuman
10/09/2009 7:51am,
I had a classmate who thought he was a grandmaster of Lin Kuei. I even saw a certificate he made up and printed saying he was a brown belt in Japanese ninjutsu.

Kick him in the head. Worked for me.

Larus marinus
10/09/2009 8:18am,
It's funnier to let them self-destruct under the weight of their own bullshit.

A true story:

A Ninja-in-training I was at school with wanted one of us to slowly cut his chest with some serrated assassin's knife (that he'd bought from the back of a martial arts mag) so that he could demonstrate how he'd conquered pain, or something like that.

We were all like "Erm... no. That's stupid."

So Ninjer boi takes the blade and does it himself - slashing right across both pecs. Then he screams, drops the knife and runs out of the room.

He gets a towel and holds it to the cut and sits there in his kitchen for a bit, looking pale and sullen as we laugh at him - then he gets it into his head that he's going to bleed to death (he didn't actually cut himself that deep, as far as I can remember). So he starts panicking, crying and screaming for someone to call someone to take him to the hospital...

Complete and utter tool. His mum went absolutely ballistic when she found out.