PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

73h r341 h3x
9/13/2009 12:31am,
I don't generally talk about my training much with people other than my fiancee, other than grumping about my bloody nose, or my busted up legs, or my puke-inducing liver. But for some reason, my friends seem to think this makes me a badass and constantly go on about how they wouldn't mess with me. Anybody else get kind of aggravated by that?

lol yeah especially when you're trying to invite someone to train, n they ask you if you get hurt, you explain that everyone gets a little hurt n they find an excuse not to come along

TheWanderingTaoist
9/17/2009 3:06am,
I used to think that being able to stop my TKD kicks an inch away from a person meant I'd really be able to beat some ass in a fight. I mean, it's only an inch, right? Of course I can just kick all the way through for real, why wouldn't I be able to?

As I well found out in my youth that theory doesn't hold up in the real world. Yeah we were taught the same thing about pulling kicks. The only thing is they never tell you that in real fights the lethal karate kid may be so used to pulling kicks that he can't throw a real one and may freeze when threatened. Yeah a lot of people freeze when threatened and do nothing or else they can't focus so they throw punches that don't connect but instead glance to the side. I learned that the hard way.

noir-kid
9/17/2009 10:53am,
Used to believe I'd never be able to jump over 3 ppl and break a board in mid air with a flying sidekick
but i did
=P

Davros
9/22/2009 11:48am,
Before i knew better i was given UFC 1 to watch on video from a friend, and i genuinely believed it was going to be like something out of the matrix!

With that many different Martial Arts experts how couldnt it!?

Ah how nieve i was

MoccaMastah
10/01/2009 2:04pm,
When i trained TKD i liked watching boxing (still do), but I couldnt figure out the scoring.
Only used to point sparing, i thought they got points everytime they hit the other guy. I still couldnt understand how a guy who got demolished for 12 rounds ended up with 108-109 points. And how every time both boxer got in around 110-120 hits each.

I was young.

SpamN'Cheese
10/01/2009 8:01pm,
When i trained TKD i liked watching boxing (still do), but I couldnt figure out the scoring.
Only used to point sparing, i thought they got points everytime they hit the other guy. I still couldnt understand how a guy who got demolished for 12 rounds ended up with 108-109 points. And how every time both boxer got in around 110-120 hits each.

I was young.
One thing we can all agree on: We were retarded before we joined martial arts and we may still be retarded.

tao.jonez
10/02/2009 9:37am,
I used to think:

Black Belt = Badass

Black Belt magazine adverts made me only $99.95 away from being deadly

Black Belts actually had to register their hands as concealed weapons

Kwai Chang Kane was better than Green Hornet

Capoeira was so cool in Virtua Fighter that it HAD to work on the street

Drunken Masters could beat sober ones

Grappling was for homos

The more esoteric and awkward the weapon, the more awesome and deadly the weilder

Snapping my do-bak was equivalent to delivering a killing blow

Larus marinus
10/03/2009 9:08am,
I thought that The Kumite was real. In addition, I believed that whenever people online mentioned how they were 'doing kumite' or 'training kumite', that they meant that they were physically preparing themselves to enter The Kumite.

I used to think that Ninjutsu was The Most Deadly Martial Art. :psyduck:

permahudef
10/03/2009 10:40am,
The more esoteric and awkward the weapon, the more awesome and deadly the weilderI totally relate to this one!.
"Whoa, What is THAT??? I'm not even sure how you would USE that as a weapon! They must be so amazingly awesome that they chose this weapon for reasons I can't even figure out!"

Kovacs
10/03/2009 11:13am,
When I did Chun I honestly thought I had, no... was teh d41dly. I used it three times on the 'street'. The first two occasions went very well, I managed to chain punch bigger guys to the ground and keep them there. That was proof enough that the Chun made me a fully armed and operation battle station.

The problem with these first two fights was that I sucker punched the first guy and the second genuinely thought I wasn't going to fight, so in a way I sucker punched him as well.

The third time didn't go so well, I ended up in A&E with a fractured nose, cuts and both eyes closed due to severe swelling. The third guy was switched on and a reasonably good boxer, as soon as I went to chain he came through with a jab-cross, the jab getting caught up in my chain and the cross coming straight over and hitting my chin. It put me on my arse and he kicked me in the face a few times for good measure.

So in short, I used to believe that the Chun, or more specifically a chain punch would beat a jab-cross with intent. It doesn't.

Larus marinus
10/03/2009 6:36pm,
When I did Chun I honestly thought I had, no... was teh d41dly. I used it three times on the 'street'. The first two occasions went very well, I managed to chain punch bigger guys to the ground and keep them there. That was proof enough that the Chun made me a fully armed and operation battle station.

The problem with these first two fights was that I sucker punched the first guy and the second genuinely thought I wasn't going to fight, so in a way I sucker punched him as well.

The third time didn't go so well, I ended up in A&E with a fractured nose, cuts and both eyes closed due to severe swelling. The third guy was switched on and a reasonably good boxer, as soon as I went to chain he came through with a jab-cross, the jab getting caught up in my chain and the cross coming straight over and hitting my chin. It put me on my arse and he kicked me in the face a few times for good measure.

So in short, I used to believe that the Chun, or more specifically a chain punch would beat a jab-cross with intent. It doesn't.

So, IOW - The Chun has been proven super-effective against 2/3 of opponents on teh streetz? :bully:

permahudef
10/03/2009 10:39pm,
So, IOW - The Sucker Punch has been proven super-effective against 2/3 of unsuspecting victims on teh streetz? :bully:Fixed

tao.jonez
10/05/2009 1:46pm,

It totally DOES work as you proved twice. Just like anything it's the context in which you use it.

You found what may be the only effective way to chun someone. By surprise!

Mr. Machette
10/05/2009 7:07pm,
I used to think that Michael Dudikoff was ninja.

What? I was like ten years old! Stop laughing!:new_rainf

Kovacs
10/06/2009 5:31am,
It totally DOES work as you proved twice. Just like anything it's the context in which you use it.

You found what may be the only effective way to chun someone. By surprise!

Joking aside, yeah, I believe it's the only effective way to Chun. Permahudef's fix is accurate as well, it was the suckerpunch that got me through, not the Chun.

Ben Grimm
10/06/2009 6:38am,
I used to think that jumping kicks would always win a fight. I also used to think that Wing Chun was the anwer to everything after getting my ass kicked using the aforementioned jumping kicks.