PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

Krat0s
6/09/2009 10:34am,
Just effective technique. I used to beleive in Chi energy, chakras,

Acttually, the body does have certain pressure points that I think some can call chakra and chi flow e.t.c, the silly thing is that people think they can shoot chi from thier hands or somethnig,

Big_Boss
6/09/2009 4:19pm,
I had my share of bad misconceptions when I was a kid, 70s and 80s MA and Bruce Lee flicks were largely the source, furthered by early 90s beat em ups and Street Fighter games.

However, my biggest upset will probably be that running on the beach and doing "nature workouts" vs Gym-routine seems to only have been effectively used by Rocky and Fedor, to some extent.

SonofSpiridonov
6/09/2009 5:08pm,
Really? What was your rationale behind that?

I didnt know **** about Martial Arts and couldnt take a punch.

pokeroo
6/09/2009 9:55pm,
Acttually, the body does have certain pressure points that I think some can call chakra and chi flow e.t.c, the silly thing is that people think they can shoot chi from their hands or something,

This may be a bit of a digression but scientific studies have shown acupuncture to work better than a placebo. Also all forms of meditation have been shown to have health benefits for body and mind. However Chi is supposed to be an invisible energy that flows through all life. There is nothing to suggest it exists, but it is touted by mystics of the east as the explanation for why their alternative medicines and therapies work (whether or not that's the case).

Chinese medicine involves meridians, portals on the body that can be stimulated to allow chi to flow better. The western explanation that I have seen on TV newscasts sees it more as stimulating nerves that lead back to the central nervous system and brain, and trigger release of endorphins. These endorphins have all kinds of effects and I am not sure what is known about how they affect other body functions.

Chakras, I think, are accepted by chinese medicine but not used as widely. Chakras are more of a Yoga thing (Indian origin). The ideas behind Chakras sound similar to chi and meridians except they involve other phenomenon with no evidence (aside from personal testimonials). Chakra theories seem to incorporate the idea of separate dimensions, eg. astral, etheric, etc. in which energies flow. From what I have read of Kundalini Yoga, the Chakras are opened through meditation leading to a kind of enlightenment (not the same as buddhist enlightenment). What I have read abot it had more to do with spirituality than physical healing.

As is obvious I used to find eastern mysticism quite enchanting. My mind is still open to the idea that there may be something to the kundalini stuff. however I am not as apt to put stock in flow of energy. (Penn & Teller helped get the bullox out of my head on that one with their episode on Feng Shui, some other bullshit I used to believe in).

newbie999
6/11/2009 10:01am,
I used to think anyone that had a MA school was legit. Then I learned about this site and found out how rampart MA fraud is in the US. Thank you Bullshido for showing me the truth ^_^.

StukovCA
6/12/2009 6:51pm,
That a black belt meant anything, at least in Karate.

suspire
7/17/2009 12:04am,
To be a true martial artist you had to learn the ninja walk.

Yep, me to.
I was also told yoko aruki would improve my punching. and believed it.

Artis Ferox
7/30/2009 11:51pm,
I once believed training in the martial arts "instilled a sense of humility and respect for one's fellow man". Then in about grade 8 I saw this Korean TKD guy lunge fist first over a cafeteria table at someone talking trash. I saw this same dude involved in other fights, and at some stage he was practically bragging about someone he beat "half dead" a few years back. I sort of changed my mind after that.

OK, so TKD doesn't solve behavioural/anger problems in kids. But I think we can all agree the MA has produced quite a few egos and bullies we've met at some point, even as adults.

That and... deadly ninjas who can land from a high height onto solid ground and not be injured, and (my cousin did TKD for about 15 years) breaking brittle boards with your hands and feet means you can break someone's bones, etc, with strikes. Cos immobile brittle pieces of wood are SOO indicative of a dynamic human body.

Impressive stuff in movies by Jackie Chan and Jet Li is indicative of their butt kicking ability in real life...

Thats about it.

painapple
8/18/2009 5:33am,
I believed that weight training makes Your kung-fu weak and stiff. Also that BJJ is an acronym for a sophisticated blow-job :)

battlefields
8/18/2009 8:56pm,
After I saw Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon I was talking about how good it was with a work colleague who was Chinese. I inadvertently made the racist statement, "And they believe they can really do that flying and ****", he cocked his head to the side and said, "they?" like I had just insulted his heritage, shat on his father and had sex with his mother. I had meant martial artists of the LARPing kind, so I said, a tad too weakly as the realisation of what it sounded like dawned on me, "you know, martial artists" (LARPing was not in my vernacular at that stage). He seemed appeased, which is good because all Chinese are Kung Fu masters.

Heinrich17
8/26/2009 3:48pm,
This thread is hilarious. I used to believe a lot of the stuff mentioned here.

I never thought wrestling was weak though. I remember watching them train. I play wrestled with some of the people on the team and as strong as I was, the good wrestlers had no problem with me.

I didn't read about why the side kick to the knee thing doesn't work. Can someone please explain why it isn't effective?

TheWanderingTaoist
8/26/2009 4:12pm,
Anyone used to believe just because someone had the title of "Grandmaster" they were automatically hot ****? I used to think that as a noobie in TKD. Then I learned of all the BS'ers who give themselves the title. It still makes me doubt about a lot of them though even the ones that are certified rank GM's because you never see them in action, no photos, no videos to prove they can actually move. The only one I don't doubt is my old grandmaster who kicked my butt and everyone else's in sparring like we were a bunch of 5 years sparring against him. I suspect Jhoon Rhee is legit based on kicking photos I've seen, but other than that I doubt everyone else now.

I no longer think any of the Hollywood martial arts are all that great. And I quit believing Kung Fu artists could fly and that there really are Ninjas that turn invisible.

marcusdbrutus
8/26/2009 4:17pm,
I didn't read about why the side kick to the knee thing doesn't work. Can someone please explain why it isn't effective?

Because the knee is very small and moves a lot? It's also round, which makes it hard to hit it flush. Usually just glances off, I'd say.

I've only ever seen Anderson Silva (I think?) do a good job of it, and even then the knee didn't fold in half like in the movies.

TheWanderingTaoist
8/26/2009 4:19pm,
BTW- I hate being such a doubting Thomas, but between all the BS and the cults I've encountered I no longer trust anyone who boasts of anything.

TheWanderingTaoist
8/26/2009 4:22pm,
Because the knee is very small and moves a lot? It's also round, which makes it hard to hit it flush. Usually just glances off, I'd say.

I've only ever seen Anderson Silva (I think?) do a good job of it, and even then the knee didn't fold in half like in the movies.

You mean even from the side of knee kicking it won't do much damage? Then why do I know a guy who swears his knee was destroyed in baseball when another kid struck him in the knee with their foot?

marcusdbrutus
8/26/2009 4:27pm,
You mean even from the side of knee kicking it won't do much damage? Then why do I know a guy who swears his knee was destroyed in baseball when another kid struck him in the knee with their foot?

Probably because the kid with the fucked knee was standing in a crouched position at a base, focusing on the ball, while the other kid was diving feet first at the base.

A) It's easy to blindside someone when they're guarding a base.
B) You'd be hard pressed to attempt a double-legged drop kick at someone's knee in a fight, and not have them see it coming a mile away.