PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

Kentucky Fried Chokin
11/26/2008 5:12pm,
For the last time, this is 'Stupidest things you used to believe', not 'Stupidest things you currently believe'.

G3JKD
11/26/2008 5:52pm,
Ok, Will Do sorry just impluse set in. Had to. Anyway yeah I don't think anyone can beat the Liu Kang thing or atleast the Scorpion thats pretty damn stupid lol.

TheMarquis
11/26/2008 6:46pm,
I used to think a ground-game was a pretty easy thing to get the upper hand in....

Then I started doing Jujitsu.

Toby Christensen
11/26/2008 9:07pm,
I used to believe that only Azns had martial arts...

Until I started researching...

theotherserge
11/26/2008 11:10pm,
Aztecs? You used to believe that only Aztecs had martial arts?

Kintanon
11/26/2008 11:36pm,
Well what with your hugely unfunny non-existent wheelchair meme joke aside, no I didn't. I also didn't see sweaty overburdened men struggling to hack at each other with outsized blunt swords, I saw fit agile men in a direct but intricate display of martial skill.

There is also at least one woman who practises sword dancing by having it on her hip, A 20lb piece of pigiron would not be appropriate for such an activity.
At this point I'm finding it hard to believe you've ever even held a sword for more than 10 seconds. A 4lb sword feels pretty fucking monstrously heavy after you've been moving it around for a few minutes. A sword doesn't have to be 20 lbs to be ungodly heavy. An 8lb sword would be an absolute bitch.

Also, western swords were frequently not particularly sharp on the sides because no sword is going to cut through plate with a slash. It's much more useful to have a bit heavier, blunter object to smash your opponent down with, but which has a sharp point to finish them once you get them on the ground and can get some weight and gravity behind the point.

For this reason there was no point in turning out hundreds of blades with sharp edges, it took a lot more work for very little gain. So while western smiths were certainly capable of turning out a razor sharp edge there wasn't much return in it from a military standpoint.

If you're really interested then roll over to Netsword.com and talk to those folks.

Edit: Here's an old thread over there that covers this specific issue http://netsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002192.html the eventual conclusions are that depending on the armour types prevalent at various stages the swords may or may not have carried a sharp edge. At some points it was useful that they be sharper, at other points it was useful that they be more of a blunt instrument. So yes, there is some truth to the idea that western swords were blunt and "heavy" is a relative term since to a noob a 3-5lb sword feels REALLY heavy.

Alphacide
11/29/2008 4:06am,
Ninjutsu was so deadly it was illegial is most countries. My College Freshman Wrestler roommate told me this. He knew more then me so i believed him.

If I wanted to act funny, I would say "chuck norris should be illigal"
But instead Im going to argue bruce lee's one inch punch should be illigal.

kultist
11/29/2008 9:17am,
If I wanted to act funny, I would say "chuck norris should be illigal"
But instead Im going to argue bruce lee's one inch punch should be illigal.

On the basis of preventing a zombie apocalypse I presume?

Alphacide
11/29/2008 11:30am,
On the basis of preventing a zombie apocalypse I presume?
Correct.

G3JKD
11/29/2008 1:09pm,
Well what's the use of outlawing something only zombie Bruce can do? It's not like he couldn't just 1 inch punch through his coffin and start eating ppl and small animals. Then BLAM! ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!!!! ( Who's got the hotline to George Romero? )

NJM
11/29/2008 8:57pm,
When I was a young lad, a TKD/Karate instructor told me that if you could go two minutes on one breath of air, you were automatically a l33t killing machine.

Toby Christensen
11/29/2008 9:38pm,
My acupuncturist laughed at "death touch" but then said "not really" to the idea that a Qi Gong master would crack his skull open like anyone else if he fell down a flight of concrete stairs and landed the wrong way.

Selective in her ideas.

She has also refused to submit to psychosomatics based tests involving acupuncture to try to prove/disprove chi

tharuz
11/30/2008 12:40am,
My acupuncturist laughed at "death touch" but then said "not really" to the idea that a Qi Gong master would crack his skull open like anyone else if he fell down a flight of concrete stairs and landed the wrong way.

Selective in her ideas.

She has also refused to submit to psychosomatics based tests involving acupuncture to try to prove/disprove chi

Shut the **** up cripple.

Toby Christensen
11/30/2008 4:46am,
Cripple? How so? Walking around is my favourite activity!

Cheap arguments and ad hominem attacks. I look forward to your fat carny mother crying over the mangled corpse that necessitates your closed coffin funeral as you are shoved into your pauper's grave.

Either that or she will be relieved to see you go.

Resource thief.

TheRuss
11/30/2008 12:15pm,
Circle up, it's a tard-off!

This is an awesome thread. Don't **** it up.

Toby Christensen
11/30/2008 7:09pm,
Tharuz automatically= not awesome. He's an illiterate, for starters.