PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

honesty
11/17/2008 9:16am,
I agree totaly with Toby here, I feel dirty http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Crade/wcmange.gif

I think the heavy armour one may have started in Victorian times in the UK because some of the complete suits of armour in collections were tilting armour used during after the reighn of Henry VIII as too many knights were getting injured in competition and a heavier type was made mandatory in the ruleset to try and counter this. Also cuirass from later on when guns came into paly did get heavy but comlete suits were rare at this time.

Actually he's talking a bit poo (nothing usual there), but it does depend on the period.

12th Century Norman armour for example was mainly chain, and a knee length suit of chain will weight between 2 (13kg) and 4 stone (25kg ish). They are much more likely to be near the heavier end of the scale. Plate was about the same weight (15kg up)

Later armour sets (circa 15th century) were much much thicker both because of the effects of tournament use and because of the effects of more modern weapons and design of the armour, like raised veins and fluting, and therefore heavier (25kg up).

adouglasmhor
11/17/2008 7:33pm,
I thought he was talking plate and 15kg sounds about mid weight for a complete suit. Tilting armour was not field armour though it could be insanely heavy and 4 stone sounds about right. 15th century could be generally heavier especially stuff like grotesques though. a full set of mail and the padding underneath is pretty hard to wear though.

honesty
11/18/2008 3:35am,
Nah he said armour, so I take that to mean the whole thing :)

From a bit of research it looks like a good set of 12th century plate would be about 15kg, a good set of 15th century plate (like a nice Milanese plate) would be at least 25kg.

Having done a very small amount of Norman re-enactment, the chain vests are silly heavy, and are great fun for your shoulders. Swords, see light to start with, feel like a brick after a few minutes of use!

Toby Christensen
11/18/2008 5:50pm,
I was referring to the plate examples I saw the men doing the swordfighting demo doing. I was also saying that the notion of "knights being winched on to horses" and the "horses being Clydesdales" is moronic.

MrGalt
11/18/2008 10:24pm,
I think I posted on this thread already, but thought of another one today:

I thought that as I became a better martial artist, I'd just keep accumulating more pressure points, katas, named ke?po self-defense routines, strikes, etc until I became a walking encyclopedia of destruction. I despaired that eventually I'd have to spend all day in the dojo just going through all my awesome knowledge to keep in practice, if not longer than that. I also figured that about then I'd start getting older and losing stamina and I wouldn't be able to do the 18 hours of kata I'd learned by that time or whatever.

To go along with this neverending progression, I also thought that there were always going to be new more advanced techniques and challenges in martial arts until I'd eventually totally have to be able to do backflips, kip up, krotty chop through four feet of solid ice, fight ninjas, catch a thrown knife like the guy from Big Trouble in Little China, etc.

It's almost disheartening to think that really I basically know more krotty than I need already, and am supposed to be getting better at DOING it now.

honesty
11/20/2008 3:17am,
I was referring to the plate examples I saw the men doing the swordfighting demo doing. I was also saying that the notion of "knights being winched on to horses" and the "horses being Clydesdales" is moronic.

So... you saw the demo, but didn't try the armour on, or they could only get the top armour on you because your wheel chair stopped you wearing the bottom?

Lindz
11/20/2008 11:20am,
Jitsu > do because jitsu is for killing but to become a do they had to take out all the deadly so sports matches would be survivable

FickleFingerOfFate
11/20/2008 11:31am,
So... you saw the demo, but didn't try the armour on, or they could only get the top armour on you because your wheel chair stopped you wearing the bottom?

Did they have to winch him into his wheelchair?

Vieux Normand
11/20/2008 7:04pm,
Did they have to winch him into his wheelchair?

"Wheelchair"?

Puh-leez!

Self-propelled chariot, thank you very much!

Now, off to war...

FickleFingerOfFate
11/20/2008 8:17pm,
To the Victor go the Spoils!

To the Spastic.....

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/FickleFingerOfFate/080522_wheelchair_ax.jpg

Toby Christensen
11/21/2008 2:44am,

Well what with your hugely unfunny non-existent wheelchair meme joke aside, no I didn't. I also didn't see sweaty overburdened men struggling to hack at each other with outsized blunt swords, I saw fit agile men in a direct but intricate display of martial skill.

There is also at least one woman who practises sword dancing by having it on her hip, A 20lb piece of pigiron would not be appropriate for such an activity.

G3JKD
11/26/2008 4:17pm,
Alright It's not alot but It's not pretty either.

Circa 2 yrs old
I Used to think that you could pull off Liu Kang's Bicycle Kick if you practiced enough.
Circa 5-6-7 yrs old
I Used to think that If you did the stance Scorpion Does in MK the movie and if you thought hard enough you could actually call upon some snake thing to come out of your hand.
Circa 10 yrs old
I Used to think that if you ran towards a wall jumped off it then kicked your opponent in the head you would knock them out.

But one thing I disagree with is everyone that said " I used to think Bruce Lee was the be MA ever " . I Believe he is and always will be. How is he not? Nobody had 0% body fat or beat the **** out of the number of challengers he had to in HK and probably USA too. No lame assed UFC douche could be half the man Bruce was. Period. In Fact the only thing that COULD beat him would be either bullet or asprin. ( the latter of which did in fact do so ).

BENXPX
11/26/2008 4:19pm,
Do you eat a lot of paint chips?

E-Van
11/26/2008 4:23pm,
Alright It's not alot but It's not pretty either.

Circa 2 yrs old
I Used to think that you could pull off Liu Kang's Bicycle Kick if you practiced enough.
Circa 5-6-7 yrs old
I Used to think that If you did the stance Scorpion Does in MK the movie and if you thought hard enough you could actually call upon some snake thing to come out of your hand.
Circa 10 yrs old
I Used to think that if you ran towards a wall jumped off it then kicked your opponent in the head you would knock them out.
Circa Last week
I thought that eating paint chips would make me a better fighter

But one thing I disagree with is everyone that said " I used to think Bruce Lee was the be MA ever " . I Believe he is and always will be. How is he not? Nobody had 0% body fat or beat the **** out of the number of challengers he had to in HK and probably USA too. No lame assed UFC douche could be half the man Bruce was. Period. In Fact the only thing that COULD beat him would be either bullet or asprin. ( the latter of which did in fact do so ).

Fixed

G3JKD
11/26/2008 4:26pm,
what can I say there awsome. You should try some time.

TheRuss
11/26/2008 5:05pm,

:psyduck:

I figured this was bound to happen when I linked you to this thread. Sorry, dude. Leave this one be.