PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

marcusdbrutus
11/11/2008 1:03am,
i believed in dim mak and thought that if i worked hard enough, and was worthy enough, i could learn it myself.....

Don't you feel silly now.

omoplatypus
11/11/2008 4:15pm,
Don't you feel silly now.

yes, yes i do feel silly now. very very silly.

BENXPX
11/11/2008 4:23pm,
Dim Mak exists, it's called punching somebody in the fucking throat.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
11/11/2008 4:26pm,

This thread is 'Stupid things you used to believe', not 'Stupid things you currently believe'.

omoplatypus
11/11/2008 4:39pm,

i thought it it was where you threw someone to the ground and stomped on their head repeatedly. maybe you're doing the northern chinese dim mak and i'm doing the south western korean dim mak.

BENXPX
11/11/2008 5:01pm,
I think there's one where you slam their head in a car door too.

TheRuss
11/11/2008 6:46pm,
I think there's one where you slam their head in a car door too.

If you've got a car at your disposal, I can think of better things to do with it than slam someone's head in the door of it...

tharuz
11/11/2008 10:12pm,

I did that to a bodybuilder once, true story.

BENXPX
11/12/2008 9:16am,
You dim maked a bodybuilder?

Matt Phillips
11/12/2008 9:42am,
I spent MONTHS trying to unlearn the habits of childhood boxing training to please my Goju Ryu instructor. "Don't move your hips when you punch!". Lucky I quit after he reverse punched me in the solar plexus without warning, and for no reason (I was 14 at the time)

frozzen
11/12/2008 9:46am,
That Steven Seagal could kick any of the UFC fighters' ass !

(ok. not)

But definitely thought that Aikido was beyond any other martial art. Then I started reading about Judo...

MoccaMastah
11/12/2008 4:31pm,
Original one.
I thought judo sucked because it translates to "the gentle way"
Which of course was inferior to the foot fist way.
And also it was just JJJ without punches and kicks, and then all your left with i pushing in pyjamas.

Man was i wrong.

Excaliber
11/15/2008 7:22pm,
I thought because some martial arts are designed to "turn an opponents strength against them" meant that being stronger would often be a disadvantage when facing a skilled martial artist

omoplatypus
11/15/2008 7:25pm,
I thought because some martial arts are designed to "turn an opponents strength against them" meant that being stronger would often be a disadvantage when facing a skilled martial artist

i thought something similar..... i'm so ashamed.

Toby Christensen
11/16/2008 8:11pm,
The thoroughly inaccurate "European armour was excessively heavy, swords were big and blunt" etc argument that most people still believe. (I've held reproduction swords made by the same methods. They weigh about as much as a hiking stick and I'd estimate that the armour is about 10kg or so depending)

Oh and people (not me) argue that the Vikings made weapons, but didn't know how to use them properly. (In spite of the Ulfhednir society and the Danish war museum begging to dffer. A civilisation MAKING stuff they have no way of USING?!

adouglasmhor
11/17/2008 9:05am,
The thoroughly inaccurate "European armour was excessively heavy, swords were big and blunt" etc argument that most people still believe. (I've held reproduction swords made by the same methods. They weigh about as much as a hiking stick and I'd estimate that the armour is about 10kg or so depending)

Oh and people (not me) argue that the Vikings made weapons, but didn't know how to use them properly. (In spite of the Ulfhednir society and the Danish war museum begging to dffer. A civilisation MAKING stuff they have no way of USING?!

I agree totaly with Toby here, I feel dirty http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Crade/wcmange.gif

I think the heavy armour one may have started in Victorian times in the UK because some of the complete suits of armour in collections were tilting armour used during after the reighn of Henry VIII as too many knights were getting injured in competition and a heavier type was made mandatory in the ruleset to try and counter this. Also cuirass from later on when guns came into paly did get heavy but comlete suits were rare at this time. A full suit in its day including helmet could weigh over 30 lbs 14kg odds though.