PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

TigersBlade
7/16/2008 12:38am,
Quote " when I actually saw some Karateka (probably shotokan) hitting the heavy bags with their "head - chest - groin" three-punch combo and the bag didn't even buckle or move..."

All I'll say mate is. If you come to the dojo I train at there are plenty of Karate-ka who would
buckle your bag or any other for that matter.
I joined this site looking for some sort of enlightened discussion, but mostly I see a lot of cheap shots coming from people with the mentality of 5 year olds.

pyromaniac1918
7/16/2008 1:04am,
Quote " when I actually saw some Karateka (probably shotokan) hitting the heavy bags with their "head - chest - groin" three-punch combo and the bag didn't even buckle or move..."

All I'll say mate is. If you come to the dojo I train at there are plenty of Karate-ka who would
buckle your bag or any other for that matter.
I joined this site looking for some sort of enlightened discussion, but mostly I see a lot of cheap shots coming from people with the mentality of 5 year olds.

Unfortunatley yo sealot of that now a days but it's not so much the style it's the way a person uses it.

Some bullshit i used to belive in when i was a kid that wrestling and all that was useless but thank god i've wised up now.

TigersBlade
7/16/2008 8:02pm,
I couldn't agree more Pyromaniac1918. I consider myself a realistic person & I do agree that there is alot of BS passed off by so called masters in their respective styles.
The unfortunate thing is that it's aimed at dare I say gullible & impressionable people who are looking to find any number of answers in their pursuit of martial arts.
Fortunately it is still possible to find a Sensei or two that is a genuine, skilled practitioner & who's ideology is based in the true spirit of martial arts.
I train in a particular style but I try to keep an open mind & always keep an eye out for things in other syles that seem useful.
I see both skilled people & some that will never make the grade & that applies to ALL styles. But if they persevere & are able to use a couple of good techniques to defend themselves then it's worth the effort not to mention the other benifits of MA training.

I say find a style/s that works for you & seems effective & go for it !
Focus on improving yourself & avoid belittling those less skilled than yourself.
By all means challenge the posers in the world & show them for what they are.

cheers.

pyromaniac1918
7/17/2008 7:32am,
well said mate, well said. Glad my instructors aren't like that, but i have had instuctors like you mentioned and i've never been back to them ever again.

Breeze
8/12/2008 2:34am,
Wait, so Karate is or isn't ****? I don't get it.

TigersBlade
8/12/2008 3:57am,
Wait, so Karate is or isn't ****? I don't get it.

What I'm saying is that most styles have something to useful to offer. There is also plenty
of Bullshido in those styles including yours or mine, you just need to learn to sort the useful & real from the BS. However, each person gets out of their style/s what they put in, train hard & concentrate on the effective techniques & they will definitely be useful.
Unfortunately you will still have to practice those ( only a Moron would use this in a real fight ) techniques your Sensei, Sifu, etc teaches & also take some of the things they tell you with a grain of salt.
So short answer, no, my Karate isn't ****, but then I'm lucky I have several very good instructors & I do my best to put effort into it.
When I was younger & Naive I used to believe many of the things posted on this thread.
I don't now, but I also see a whole lot of cynisism here that I just don't buy into.

cheers !

Breeze
8/12/2008 9:19pm,
Yeah, I guess you have to be really smart and sensible to get something out of Karate / Kung Fu / Aikido / etc

TigersBlade
8/13/2008 2:42am,
:rolleyes: Not as smart as those that do Brazilian ju-jitsu seem to be.

troberts
8/13/2008 1:18pm,
I studied under Will Maier for about 18 months (July 1992 - January 1994) and what I was taught seemed like it would work so I am a little confused as to why people are looking down on Bujinkan. Is it because the instructors out there haven't trained long enough to be good instructors?

What do you all think about Masaaki Hatsumi? Do you think he is the real deal? Is he giving out a watered-down version that is mostly right but keeping the "good stuff" for the select few that are in the running for being the next Soke?

What do you think of Stephen K. Hayes, Jack Hoban, Bud Malmstrom, and/or Will Maier?

Victor Hare, a student of Will Maier, has a dojo (http://www.howardcountybujinkan.com/) and according to his web site Will relocated to Arizona.

Anondorf
8/13/2008 2:47pm,
Anyone with a black belt will screw you up. (Even the seven year olds)

Kata increases strength and reflexes.

Kiai increases power.

Ki is the ****!

My chambered waist punches can stop a bear/move a heavy bag.

Head kicks are deadly.

Knifehand is deadly.

Spearhand is deadly.

Elbows are stupid because when you rub the right spot on your elbow, it goes all tingly and ****.

Shin kicks are stupid because getting hit in the shin hurts.

Knees are stupid because an X block will stop it.

KITAmaru
8/13/2008 4:00pm,
Here's some things I used to believe:

1998: Aikido was useful in a real fight
1999: kicks to the knee were t3h deadly against anyone, no matter how big
2000-2004: big guys hit harder but slower and little guys hit weaker but faster
2001-2003: Chi could be used in fights to make punches damage the body in non typical ways
2001-2004: Bruce Lee was t3h deadly superhuman-like fighter who could knock out a man twice his size with ease
2000-2004: huge muscles are for grapplers only and not strikers BECAUSE MUSCLE MAKES YOU STRONGER BUT THEN SLOWS YOU DOWN LOLLL
2002-2005: Ninjutsu was an art lost to the modern world, EXCEPT FOR BUJINKAN (god dammit...)
2002-2005: str33t deadly eye gouges will stop anyone in their tracks, because it halts vision and they will thus either stop to nurse themselves or swing blindly
2004-2005: brown, red and black belts in TKD can kick my ass even if they're way smaller than me and 5 years younger because... uh. iunno
2004-2005: having some visible body fat automatically makes you an incompetent fighter

I used to believe a lot of stupid ****. Probably still do.

TigersBlade
8/14/2008 9:08pm,
You won't see / read me Bagging other peoples styles as it largely depends on the practitioner as to how effective each style is. I don't know alot about Bujinkan apart from viewing a couple of YouTube videos.
All I'll say is, any style looks / seems effective against a compliant attacker.

cheers.

vaquero de las nalgas
8/15/2008 2:42am,
When I was younger and had just started karate training, I saw Black Belt magazine on the newsstands. I thought that you had to be a black belt to read one or gain anything from it.

I also suffered from the assumption that anyone purchasing ninja uniforms and utility belts from those same magazines, did so to perpetrate vile and loathsome activities. In addition I thought that they had amazing abilities as portrayed by the equally vile movies being made at the time.

Those were the days...

vaquero de las nalgas
8/15/2008 3:13am,
What do you all think about Masaaki Hatsumi? Do you think he is the real deal? Is he giving out a watered-down version that is mostly right but keeping the "good stuff" for the select few that are in the running for being the next Soke?

Regardless of negative things written about Hatsumi and the Bujinkan organization in some venues, there are two things I might possibly consider:
1) It has been said that individual schools in Japanese arts are a recent phenomenon, most having appeared after general warfare died down in the 1600s. Tracking down the lineages of schools may be an exercise in futility, more so for westerners because the written language changed after WW2, and
2) Hatsumi's teacher, Takamatsu sensei, spent quite a few years travelling in a relatively lawless China. Maybe he incorporated Chinese teachings into his curicculum outside the scope of the original Japanese schools. Japan has been an extremely xenophobic country in the past. Takamatsu may have wanted to keep some material intentionally obscure in its origins because if it was perceived to be Chinese, it might be seen in a bad light or ridiculed. This could be an invalid assumption on my part because other arts have been adopted, such as karate and kung fu. Both came from outside of Japan proper. Also the system of writing was adopted from China.

Some schools and organizations would be hard pressed to accurately trace their lineages back several hundred years, in any country. Add to the that the practice of declaring oneself the grand master of a school simply by holding the last copy of a given densho, and you start getting a very muddled picture.

These are my humble suppositions. Hopefully there are folks out there with more knowledge that can shed light on these events.

Toby Christensen
8/15/2008 3:53am,
I must reiterate the whole "Martial Artists are Asian/Martial Arts are Asian" fallacy.

Hence people's absolute conviction that even though there's not much new in the way of dispatching people Azns corner the market. They only do so because people want to think so.

Oh and a related "Tibetans are mystics" fallacy. No, in my experience they aren't. They have beliefs I would label "odd" but I am yet to see anything mystical as such.

tubemode12
8/15/2008 11:08pm,
You could kick-ass and knock people out with a single hit like in the movies.

AND you won't get hit too.