PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

FickleFingerOfFate
4/27/2007 7:23pm,
My first post, so let me put on my flame-resistant sweat band.

Many have already been said, so let me just hit the few high points of my un-education.

Things I used to believe (Mostly between ages 10-20 when I attended a variety of bad MA schools).

1. That Japanese and Chinese culture was an integral part of all martial arts and that you must not only understand the culture but RESPECT the culture to learn martial arts.

2. That bowing/kneeling, assorted ceremonies, cleaning the dojo, not wearing shoes (even off the mats), etc... All of the little tasks we did was making me a better fighter and not just cheap labor and/or the sensi enjoying his power.

3. That it was not racist of my Asian teachers to basically crap over everything that was "America" and its people especially 'whites.'

4. That yelling makes a difference.

5. Meditation made me physically stronger and a better fighter.

6. That teachers have to be mean and/or aloof in order to teach correctly.

7. That if I was not doing well in class, it was always my fault (never the teacher).

8. That it is OK for a MA teacher to take my money and then for weeks let only his students teach me (He was busy teaching the advanced students).

9. That style is greater then physical fitness.

10. That any martial arts will ever defeat a well trained person with a gun that has no issues shooting you.

So where was the problem,

These tenets are the core of all real Martial arts,

The sport fighters just cant apply themselves enough to reach true enlightenment,

and so must mock what they do not understand.

If you devote yourself enough, you too may find the moons of Jupiter.

UserNameBanned
4/27/2007 7:29pm,
If any traditional MA student has reached "Enlightenment" and found the "Moons of Jupiter," then it is just because he has hemorrhoids and is looking at them because he finally got his head all the way up his ass.

SpringHeeledJack
4/27/2007 7:31pm,
So where was the problem,

These tenets are the core of all real Martial arts,

The sport fighters just cant apply themselves enough to reach true enlightenment,

and so must mock what they do not understand.

If you devote yourself enough, you too may find the moons of Jupiter.

yuo=fag0t

FickleFingerOfFate
4/27/2007 7:57pm,
yuo=fag0t

I felt so dirty after I posted that.

Oculus
4/28/2007 3:07am,
I used to believe that I could just practice all my d3adly Tai Ci moves slowly and that when the time came I'd be able to break some one's arm just as fast as the "white Crane flashs across sky".

Then I joined a Muay Thai and had the dumb kicked out of me (literally) . And hopefully one day I can cross train in BJJ or a grappling art and can recieve criticism like"MMA fighters just want to learn how to fight! They have no tradition!" One day...

bjjnoob
4/28/2007 4:15am,
Stupid things my sensei told me:

Kata is more important than alive training(which didnt really exist where I was at)

If you train hard enough and your Kiai is loud enough you can fly like the characters from Crouching Tiger

That head crushing move from Saifa will negate any take downs from BJJ guys

Goju Ryu is the 2nd most devastating martial art under Kung Fu according to Discovery Channel

People who say MA originated from Japan are idiots. It originated from China

students from the school have gotten in highschool fights where they defeated 20 attackers
A loud enough Kiai will kill someone

Bruce Lee was foolish in not seeing the benifits of kata

The normal karate stance (cant remember what its called...the one where u practice blocks and strikes) is the same as the boxing stance

KhanomTom
4/28/2007 1:10pm,
I used to HATE Muay Thai / Boxing / Grappling etc...
Thought CMA, and styles with more words in (e.g Chop-Moo-Kuen-Si-Pok-Lun-Fu [ not real, example]) were ultmatly better than anything else.
Saw the error of my ways as soon as my dad gave me a UFC video :) Started Muay Thai that week.

redazncommieDXP
4/28/2007 10:40pm,
People who say MA originated from Japan are idiots. It originated from China

Weren't a lot of Japanese martial arts imports of or modifications of original Chinese styles? I'm pretty sure a lot of them reference a Chinese origin in the name.

Besides, let's be realistic- if it's East Asian, it probably started in China. -sprays on flame repellant-

JanusMagus
7/13/2008 10:00pm,
Patterns/forms are supposed to be used in a fight, and can be used effectively, just like you practice them.

Along with this, when I was a young kid taking TKD, I thought I'd be a bad ass at sparring even though I'd never done it because I thought it would be just like practicing moves. I even though I could take an adult if they ever tried to kidnap me.

Although I'd always heard "90% of fights end up on the ground," (and had a decent level of respect for a ground game) I thought a good stand-up guy can totally avoid them to such a great degree that he doesn't even need to train on the ground. Note, I didn't even know that sprawling existed as a defense, or that any defense would even be needed besides striking to keep them back from you.

Chi couldn't be blasted like in silly cartoons, but it did play a roll in stronger kicks and punches and somehow involved yelling while striking. Also, I thought that yelling while striking would always stun an opponent to such a great degree that I'd be able to pull off all of my moves with ease.

A gi was better for fighting, period. It somehow improved your movement and speed or something.

Anyone with a black belt was a force to be reckoned with. Even after I found out about McDojos and their prevalence, I thought that getting a black belt was such a great achievement that those individuals probably got beyond their school's flaws.

The more push-ups you do, the stronger you will become. Then your punches will be stronger.

winnersguard
7/13/2008 11:49pm,
The more push-ups you do, the stronger you will become. Then your punches will be stronger.

I actually still agree with this one. I can never do enough pushups.

JanusMagus
7/14/2008 10:33am,
Well, it was more along the lines of I thought that your strength could improve from them unrealistically fast and to a great degree. I also thought strength had absolutely no real relation to size.

MMAMickey
7/14/2008 10:49am,
back in the karate days my sensei used to make us hop along on one leg and then said if we believe we are as light as a feather then we can hang in the air for ages..

he also told us that boxers are weak because they get hurt through big padded boxing gloves, and that being a black belt was like riding a bike, you would always be able to fight even if you gave it up for years, such is the power of karate.

looking back on it i am soooo glad i left and learned muay thai and of course, the art of the weaklings, boxing.

i can't go back anymore though after i visited recently and refused to use a karate guard when my muay thai guard was stopping him hitting me during sparring

PHILBERT
7/15/2008 10:45am,
I thought Ashida Kim was the real deal. For about 10 minutes (or 2 weeks). I still have one of his books I've been meaning to get rid of, but I occasionally go back to read it for comedy.

Senior year in high school I decided to start martial arts. I had 2 schools within a couple miles of my house, one was a Tae Kwon Do school and the other was a Judo school. I took the TKD school because flying jump kicks worked in the movies, right?

I use to think in order to be a better martial artist, you needed to learn weapon training (Nunchuku, bo staff, etc).

I thought Ninjas were the deadliest.

I thought because I took TKD I was a certified badass. Luckily I never had to get my ass kicked to realize how wrong I was.

Yojimbo1717
7/15/2008 11:13am,
That Muay Thai trumps grappling because it turns all of your limbs into weapons. Go ahead and take my back, I'll elbow you and stuff.

I never jumped onto the Aikido bandwagon - I was suspect of it when I took it back in elementary school. Same with Kuk Sool Won.

That the best MA is a secret and the best fighter in the world would be too [ninja].

That Kung Fu worked. *Sigh*
Now it pains me to read the dog **** people believe about it.
*Watches video of Kung Fu dude losing to _____ (Muay Thai, BJJ, Sambo, Wrestling, MMA, Boxing, Karate...etc)*

*Reads comments*

"that wuznt kung fu a rel shaolin master wouldn't lose"

*Blood boils*

galio
7/15/2008 2:07pm,
i believed in ancient and forgotten asian styles ...
i believed in old and wise (asian) men ...
i believed that the black belt means something ...
i believed that a "master" of a school is always wise and moral person ...
i believed in "inner circle" students and outsiders ...
i believed in empty hands vs knife tecniques ...
i believed in formal exercices (qyuen / kata) ...
i believed in "secret techniques" ...

now i only believe in training ...

Raven927
7/15/2008 5:11pm,
I used to believe I could beat almost everyone with my tang soo do training. And believing all my instructor's bullshit like how many people he's knocked out with a fucking left jab.