PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

sochin101
4/26/2007 7:20am,
I used to believe martial arts were just about fighting. But there's so much more than that.
you mean the over-riding importance of character, morals, social responsibility and embracing Christ/Buddha/Azathoth?

AMonkey
4/26/2007 8:16am,
Hmmm...that I posted in this thread.

I wasn't aware there were other MA than Karate and Kung Fu until a couple of years again. Didn't know UFC and such existed and boxing was just a brutal blood sport for Neanderthals. Used to think Bruce Lee was the greatest MA ever. Oh and around 10 months ago I believed that TKD I learned would let me win any fight at school or on the 'street'.

PirateJon
4/26/2007 2:33pm,
you mean the over-riding importance of character, morals, social responsibility and embracing Christ/Buddha/Azathoth?

I meant hot chicks... :love10:

MoonSoo
4/26/2007 2:50pm,
I meant hot chicks... :love10:Judging from your avatar, I take it you'll take all of those girls home and then kill them all in a very torturous way. And who knows, maybe you'll have one girl that'll escape. And hell, you might even have a small boy named Squee as your neighbor.

MaverickZ
4/26/2007 3:09pm,
You must do TKD.

sochin101
4/26/2007 3:37pm,
Yes... that's one of the stupid things I used to believe about martial arts... that there'd be hot chicks and they'd be impressed with my MIGHTY HORSE STANCE... Adult fun would ensue.
This did not happen. There were no hilarious consequences. No-one brought sexy back.
Damn you shotokan.

winnersguard
4/26/2007 6:26pm,
To be a true martial artist you had to learn the ninja walk.

Smashed
4/26/2007 6:39pm,
I used to think TKD was tha ****...
(Now I am a catch-wrestler(submission) and kickboxer)

Skummer
4/26/2007 6:45pm,
I used to believe, and don't ask me where I even got this 'cuz I don't remember, that if you got really good at shaolin kung fu, you wouldn't need to sleep anymore, you could just meditate instead.

Detritus
4/26/2007 9:27pm,
Oh Jeez, this is embarassing. I read "The art of shaolin kung fu" by wong kiew kit, and actually believed that he could move clouds with his chi.

I also believed that if it wasn't chinese, it wasn't worth learning, and that grapplers were people who just couldn't take a punch.

Permalost
4/27/2007 12:12am,
Yes... that's one of the stupid things I used to believe about martial arts... that there'd be hot chicks and they'd be impressed with my MIGHTY HORSE...

whoa now.

coytheboy
4/27/2007 1:33am,
I thought that if someone tried to take me down I would just kick them in the head. And that nothing could beat tae kwon do.

PirateJon
4/27/2007 7:01am,
Yes... that's one of the stupid things I used to believe about martial arts... that there'd be hot chicks and they'd be impressed with my MIGHTY HORSE STANCE... Adult fun would ensue.
This did not happen. There were no hilarious consequences. No-one brought sexy back.
Damn you shotokan.

Girls only want guys who have great skills! :israel7va

sochin101
4/27/2007 7:06am,
Girls only want guys who have great skills! :israel7vaBut, but, but... deep front stance... kata... reverse punch...
Oh, wait...
Got it.
Carry on.:icon_pira

FickleFingerOfFate
4/27/2007 8:04am,
But, but, but... deep front stance... kata... reverse punch...
Oh, wait...
Got it.
Carry on.:icon_pira

You did Shotokant.

If you want Hot Girls,

You have to do TKD, or American Freestyle Karate.

Duh.

UserNameBanned
4/27/2007 7:18pm,
My first post, so let me put on my flame-resistant sweat band.

Many have already been said, so let me just hit the few high points of my un-education.

Things I used to believe (Mostly between ages 10-20 when I attended a variety of bad MA schools).

1. That Japanese and Chinese culture was an integral part of all martial arts and that you must not only understand the culture but RESPECT the culture to learn martial arts.

2. That bowing/kneeling, assorted ceremonies, cleaning the dojo, not wearing shoes (even off the mats), etc... All of the little tasks we did was making me a better fighter and not just cheap labor and/or the sensi enjoying his power.

3. That it was not racist of my Asian teachers to basically crap over everything that was "America" and its people especially 'whites.'

4. That yelling makes a difference.

5. Meditation made me physically stronger and a better fighter.

6. That teachers have to be mean and/or aloof in order to teach correctly.

7. That if I was not doing well in class, it was always my fault (never the teacher).

8. That it is OK for a MA teacher to take my money and then for weeks let only his students teach me (He was busy teaching the advanced students).

9. That style is greater then physical fitness.

10. That any martial arts will ever defeat a well trained person with a gun that has no issues shooting you.