PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

Abusivemelon
1/29/2007 11:48am,
Lemme make a random guess, he's either Shotokan or Isshin-ryu.
I still havent discovered what style I do.

I used to believe that Martial Artists shouldn't take part in weight training because it would slow them down.
I was told by a BJJ black belt that weight training is detremental to ground work...

Ryu_Yagami
1/29/2007 11:52am,
I used to think that boxing and groundfighting were stupid because they couldn't teach you how to defend yourself against multiple opponents at once, like "teh kung f00." I also used to think that ultra-high side kicks were badass, and that I could be unstoppable if I developed kicks like Hwang Jang Lee in "Drunken Master" or Lee and Hwoarang from the Tekken games. I also used to take everything Bruce Lee said as gospel... I still have my earmarked copy of "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do" tucked away somewhere, complete with circles drawn around the blurbs and paragraphs that I considered particularly deep or meaningful.

On a side note, this is my first post ever here at Bullshido. I probably should have posted something in the newbie section first, but this thread was too good to pass up. Welcome to Bullshido. Enjoy the Buffet.:toothy10:

WorldWarCheese
1/29/2007 12:23pm,
I still havent discovered what style I do.

I was told by a BJJ black belt that weight training is detremental to ground work...

Does your dojo say "Shaolin" anywhere? If so, leave, run, flee, take to the hills it's a McDojo. It could be one of the Parker "Shaolin Karate Ke_po Kung Fu" places.

Abusivemelon
1/29/2007 12:55pm,
Does your dojo say "Shaolin" anywhere? If so, leave, run, flee, take to the hills it's a McDojo. It could be one of the Parker "Shaolin Karate Ke_po Kung Fu" places.

BJJ Shaolin? No. The guy isnt my instructor hes my instructors instructor. Plus I train Karate, not BJJ. Not by choice, the nearest Jujitsu is Bury (many miles away) which I attend on occasion.

IM STARTING JUDO TONIGHT:ohyeah:

Kid Miracleman
1/29/2007 2:05pm,
Speaking of "Shaolin," when I was in high school I went to a "Shaolin Kung Fu" class with my friends. It was taught by a local college student and his younger brother. We did a lot of lame and over-complicated self-defense drills, blocking exercises, light sparring (of the "pull-your-punches-and-try-not-to-really-hurt-anyone" variety), crappling, light acrobatics, and forms. The only form I ever managed to get down was the beginner's form, called "Heart Palm" (which I have also seen referred to as "Heart Penetrating Palm"), which was full of awkward kicks and blocks such. At the time I didn't bother to question if any of this stuff could be used in a real fight; I was convinced that MMA guys weren't serious fighters and that traditional arts were more lethal, and that if some guy tried to take me down to the ground in a street fight I could just kick him in the head and that would be that.

I also really hated karate. As a Kung Fu loyalist, I immediately assumed that my style was better than everyone elses, especially those stiff krotty guys. Of course, after talking smack about dumb ol' karate guys, I would go and practice my circular blocks and bow stance and 540 crescent kicks...

Maestro Nobones
1/29/2007 3:01pm,
god I don't have time to read the whole thread right now but I'll try to remember a few

traditional kung fu > *.martial art, because it's ancient
all other martial arts come from kung fu
that a flurry of well placed center punches was far superior to a boxer's punch

god I wish I could remember more!

DevonHartigan
1/29/2007 6:37pm,
For the people out there that grew up watching Karate Kid, thinking that Karate was t3h d43dly, especially when taught by an old Japaneze man.

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/rehab391.jpg
From the sicks twisted webcomic http://www.neilswaab.com/comics/wiggles/index.html

Who also believed that the Crane Technique stance was the ultimate finishing move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W_QFCQYac8

meggaman7
2/01/2007 4:09pm,
I still have my earmarked copy of "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do" tucked away somewhere, complete with circles drawn around the blurbs and paragraphs that I considered particularly deep or meaningful.

Damn, so do I. I laughed when I read that.

Lily2
2/01/2007 6:50pm,
Two words: Daniel-san :D

Lucky for me my parents never let me do karate, TKD or Kung Fu when I was growing up. Not saying these arts suck but the ratio of decent to crap schools isn't in anyone's favour.

I'm still not 100% convinced about BJJ though.

DevonHartigan
2/01/2007 7:07pm,
Two words: Daniel-san :D

Lucky for me my parents never let me do karate, TKD or Kung Fu when I was growing up. Not saying these arts suck but the ratio of decent to crap schools isn't in anyone's favour.

Luckily I only made it to yellow belt in TKD. The Horror...

If you sparred with me, you would surely be 100 % convinced of the absolute and incredible awesomeness of the B-Jitsu.

sempaiman
2/01/2007 7:28pm,

BJJ is so gay. If you don't believe, look at this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzdT-kerHac

Try boxing or Muay Thai!

DevonHartigan
2/01/2007 8:22pm,
BJJ is so gay. If you don't believe, look at this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzdT-kerHac

Try boxing or Muay Thai!

I believe that the above clip is from the pilot episode of a new series that got axed immediately after. Nice way of proving your point:icon_thum.

And I will retaliate with this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWnwRGdnl9E&mode=user&search=

...Oh wait, you have MMA in your style field... ahhh you troll.:icon_wink

Lily2
2/01/2007 8:28pm,
Devon - not to derail this thread too much but I think BJJ is awesome just that I'd combine it with a striking art.

When I say I'm not 100% convinced about BJJ, I could say that about every single stand alone MA.

DevonHartigan
2/01/2007 8:38pm,
Devon - not to derail this thread too much but I think BJJ is awesome just that I'd combine it with a striking art.

When I say I'm not 100% convinced about BJJ, I could say that about every single stand alone MA.
And certainly not to contribute to the derailing of this thread.

I feel the exact same way. You have to both have a good standup- and groundgame. The reason why I'm not currently combining it with MMA, is because the MMA-class is immediately after my BJJ-class. And my kondi is in no way, at the present, in shape for 3 hours straight, intensive training.

Virtua
4/23/2007 8:29am,
I used to think MA training could make unbeatable.

I used to think that CMA were th3 d34dly and had a long history.

I also used to look down on sports styles.

I look back and think of all the time I wasted training fancy forms when I could have been doing something with more aliveness instead.

But at least I never used to think Pro Wrestling was real.
:wrestlerf

Ronin.74
4/23/2007 8:48am,
What kind of CMA are you recovering from? In my opinion it's not all bad, jus the overwhelming majority of it is.