PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

It is Fake
1/27/2007 10:13am,
Well according to him that can't be the reason. On another thread he comments on how he "can take it" because, he isn't new.

Anyway, I remember when I thought the Military or Police Academy made anyone a badass street fighter.

sochin101
1/27/2007 10:14am,
Shotokan:

http://www.shotokan.de/pic/ochi2.jpg
cat stance + Fonz fingers = kiai "Heyyyyyy"

PPlate
1/27/2007 10:22am,
You do kung fu.

jnp
1/27/2007 10:43am,
You do kung fu.
What an astonishingly clever reply.

It is Fake
1/27/2007 10:54am,
You do kung fu.
Do you reeeeeeeaaaaaallllllyyyyyy want to go there?

Really Really?

WorldWarCheese
1/27/2007 11:07am,
Anyway, I remember when I thought the Military or Police Academy made anyone a badass street fighter.

It DOES..... IF you're a Newton or Worcester Cop who have BJJ AND Judo lessons at both the station and the Academy. The Worcester Judo Club wasn't formerly the Worcester Police Judo Club for nothing. And I've rolled with 3 or 4 cops from Newton and they're scary motherfuckers.... why WHY did my hometown choose aikido?:bduh:

It is Fake
1/27/2007 11:08am,
It DOES..... IF you're a Newton or Worcester Cop who have BJJ AND Judo lessons at both the station and the Academy. The Worcester Judo Club wasn't formerly the Worcester Police Judo Club for nothing. And I've rolled with 3 or 4 cops from Newton and they're scary motherfuckers.... why WHY did my hometown choose aikido?:bduh:
When was the club started?

Epicurus
1/27/2007 11:32am,
Police officers training in Aikido? Well, it could be worse;

the Halifax Police are trained in Yellow Bamboo.

G-G-G Ghost!
1/27/2007 7:06pm,
* Punching the nose directly will cause bones to be shot into the brain (people I meet keep insisting it's true even now, god dammit!!)
* If you learn something like 3 martial arts, the American legal system demands you register yourself as a deadly weapon (but I could never tell just how extreme the law could be overseas so I was willing to believe that one)
* Sparring creates bad habits!! (see my earliest posts for my touting of this bullshit)
* Merely holding pressure-points with your fingers will allow you almost godly control over your opponent
* A kick to the knee or palm to the elbow joint will snap a leg or arm, respectively

thehorned1
1/27/2007 8:27pm,
I used to believe muscle mass and size didn't matter as much as speed and accuracy. I beleived I could pull off the Goju fight patterns tailored to specific punches. That the karate punch was the most powerful type of punch. That i could actually land a karate punch to the solar plexus quite easily in a fight. That if I trained long enough I could be as fast and as skillful as the guys in the kung-fu movies. That you could block punches. Etc.

Edit: Love the newbie baby smilie things.

Epicurus
1/28/2007 12:14am,
* Punching the nose directly will cause bones to be shot into the brain (people I meet keep insisting it's true even now, god dammit!!)
* If you learn something like 3 martial arts, the American legal system demands you register yourself as a deadly weapon (but I could never tell just how extreme the law could be overseas so I was willing to believe that one)
* Sparring creates bad habits!! (see my earliest posts for my touting of this bullshit)
* Merely holding pressure-points with your fingers will allow you almost godly control over your opponent
* A kick to the knee or palm to the elbow joint will snap a leg or arm, respectively

Sounds like you have a sampling of all the classics here!

Wouldn't it be REALLY easy to disprove that nose-bones-in-brain one? I just spar with my buddies messing around and every so often I walk into a big cross flat on the nose, and yet I walk and talk... maybe you can use me (or any of tens of thousands of other examples) on the people who still insist on #1 there?

The register yourself as a weapon one always cracks me up, I also believed this was something that had to be done when you got a Karate blackbelt (only karate was DEADLY enough to merit this honour)

The pressure point one is one of the most widespread instances of bullshit still with us today... people who are otherwise very intelligent seem to think that pressure points are BETTER THAN grappling knowledge! Newsflash: The only "pressure points" you can use to damage your opponent just by poking are the fucking eyeballs. Sometimes if I mention that I do Martial arts people will bring up pressure points, and I like to see if I can get someone to let me RNC them.

The kick to the knee or palm to the elbow breaking a limb seems pretty common in crappling training and is probably one of the most ridiculous and dangerous misconceptions around. Dangerous because it causes some people to think they can do okay in a grapple using their deadly instand limb-breaks, but too bad they can't spar or roll with them; no point wasting their time with all those "submissions" though, who needs that **** when you have the Magic Palm (tm)!

leere_form
1/28/2007 12:31am,
i went out to grab a pita friday and by the register picked up a flyer for a boxing event taking place at my gym that night. it had a picture of one of my jits instructors on it in his boxing gear, so i said: "hey, cool, i've trained with that guy. he has some damn good jiu-jitsu."

and the guy taking my order was like "dude, i grew up in detroit, i learned to fight on da streets! i go for that real effective ****, pressure points and all that! i kick people in their knees, you can explode knees that way!"

you know that fakely-interested look you give to profoundly retarded people when they start talking to you about trains at inappropriate times? ("yeah buddy, that's really cool, trains are great, hey, i have to go now")

yeah, that one. i gave him that look, smiled, and said "yup, that stuff works all right! those one-hit kills are a lot more practical than some of the wacky stuff we do in jiujitsu class!"

he looked pleased so i took my pita and got the hell out of there, before he started poking me in the ribs or something to knock me out.

i don't think he did too much winning in those detroit street fights, assuming they even happened. =P

Abusivemelon
1/28/2007 11:56am,
I remember in primary/elementary school some tard claimed to be a ninja...and more recently a guy who did Karate with me came into school and boasted how he could now block ANYTHING that came towards him. This resulted in him getting hit hard many times.

WorldWarCheese
1/28/2007 7:29pm,
I remember in primary/elementary school some tard claimed to be a ninja...and more recently a guy who did Karate with me came into school and boasted how he could now block ANYTHING that came towards him. This resulted in him getting hit hard many times.

Lemme make a random guess, he's either Shotokan or Isshin-ryu.

Kid Miracleman
1/29/2007 3:23am,
I used to think that boxing and groundfighting were stupid because they couldn't teach you how to defend yourself against multiple opponents at once, like "teh kung f00." I also used to think that ultra-high side kicks were badass, and that I could be unstoppable if I developed kicks like Hwang Jang Lee in "Drunken Master" or Lee and Hwoarang from the Tekken games. I also used to take everything Bruce Lee said as gospel... I still have my earmarked copy of "The Tao of Jeet Kune Do" tucked away somewhere, complete with circles drawn around the blurbs and paragraphs that I considered particularly deep or meaningful.

On a side note, this is my first post ever here at Bullshido. I probably should have posted something in the newbie section first, but this thread was too good to pass up.

Asriel
1/29/2007 6:12am,
I used to believe that Martial Artists shouldn't take part in weight training because it would slow them down.