PDA

View Full Version : Stupid things you used to believe about martial arts

PPlate
1/26/2007 9:52pm,
You're just butt hurt because I found your incredibly novel and impressive defense of "lifting up the knee" to be somewhat.... underwhelming. Would you be less upset if we cuddled?

No, you would seem less a dick if you'd stated your problem with it. Seriously, having used it so many times in sparring and having it work for me, I really don't see your point.

Emevas
1/26/2007 9:55pm,
No, you would seem less a dick if you'd stated your problem with it. Seriously, having used it so many times in sparring and having it work for me, I really don't see your point.

One time, Mav kicked me in the knee. A week later, my grandmother's knee blew out and she needed surgery. I still to this day have no idea how the **** he did that.

It is Fake
1/26/2007 9:57pm,
I stole a Canuck, married her, and brought her back to Arizona. I am raising a special breed of American / Canuck hybrid human I hope will have the best traits of both Nationalities.
You screwed up, you moved back to Arizona.

RunningDog
1/26/2007 10:11pm,
I used to watch boxing matches and spot the "holes" that a wingy chunner would be able to exploit.
Even made some dumb chunner comments to my friend when we had front row at a KB match. God I was thick.

TehDeadlyDimMak
1/27/2007 12:27am,
I thought kicks were absolutely useless because if I couldn't do them God knows nobody can.

Epicurus
1/27/2007 12:30am,
I'm not going to bore you guys with restatements of previously said ones, so I'll just list three:

Eins) I used to think size and strength didn't matter in a fight.

Zwei) Afterwards, ironically, I had a brief period of time where I thought size and strength were the ONLY things that mattered (needless to say I was a Bob Sapp fan at that time).

Drei) Finally, I used to think boxing was not hard work and that I would get instant results. Fortunately I'm out of that belief.

I also went through this process, except I only discovered Bob Sapp in recent years.

NunOnBreak
1/27/2007 12:57am,
You screwed up, you moved back to Arizona.

Have you ever spent time in Alberta? It will make you want to move as far south in the states as possible.

I used to believe Ninja Black was the best clothing camo pattern available.

meggaman7
1/27/2007 4:20am,
I used to argue with my friend whether Steven Seagal or Jet Li would win in a fight.

To this day I still run into grown people who think that Jet Li and/or Jackie Chan would be the **** in UFC or PRIDE. Some of them even know that both admitted that they've never been in a real fight, but beleive that their Godly MA skills would more than compencate for it.

dojo
1/27/2007 5:30am,
When I started Karate I thought that I can be a b..tt-kicker in 2 days and that it's all simple and in no time I'll be able to do jumps and all stuff. And I found out the hard way that it's not something you can do overnight :D

Virus
1/27/2007 7:07am,
When I started Karate I thought that I can be a b..tt-kicker in 2 days and that it's all simple and in no time I'll be able to do jumps and all stuff. And I found out the hard way that it's not something you can do overnight :D

But you're still doing shotokan?

PockSuppet
1/27/2007 8:01am,
Until about 18 months ago, I thought aikido was teh ultimate on teh str33t since I could dodge anything, although at least back then I still realised jabs were going to screw me, but if they grab my lapels, WATCH OUT!

I also thought Morihei was awesome and would destroy anyone who tried to so much as touch him.

Now I realise that unless I'm fighting a retarded, drunk halibut, I'm probably not actually going to be able to apply any aikido techniques at all unless my opponent screws up monumentally.

Sword technique translates to unarmed fighting.

But aikido movements are based on sword movements. o shi...
You said FIGHTING.... there's the problem.

sochin101
1/27/2007 8:02am,
But you're still doing shotokan?
LOL shotokan...
Oh, right... <peers at style field>
Yay Shotokan't!!!

Virus
1/27/2007 8:52am,
Shotokan:

http://www.shotokan.de/pic/ochi2.jpg

PPlate
1/27/2007 8:57am,

Please post back here about Shotokan about 2 years later. We'll be awaiting your return.

Virus
1/27/2007 9:00am,
The r34l shotokan:

http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives/photos/KenStreetFighter2.gif

MaverickZ
1/27/2007 9:20am,
Oh you must be new here.