PDA

View Full Version : World Ving Tsun Athletic Association and Sifu Darrell Jordan?

GoldenJonas
1/20/2007 8:28pm,
Anyone familiar with this school or instructor?

Having seen all of the _ing _hun shinanagins on the forums my interest is a bit piqued.

The school offers an intro week of class for $25 and you get a badass _ing _hun t-shirt and they offer a "full contact" class on Tues nights with the "Hammerhead Fight Club. It takes place once a week and is packed with grueling training and full contact in the end which includes grappling and take downs." (http://darrelljordan.moyyat.com/abouttheschool.html.

jnp
1/20/2007 8:43pm,
Link doesn't work for me.

RunningDog
1/20/2007 9:40pm,
Nor me. But I'm now going to slap myself for clicking on it at all.

*slap*

Yes, I actually did it.

Goju - Joe
1/20/2007 9:42pm,
http://darrelljordan.moyyat.com/abouttheschool.html

there was a ) at the end of the original link

GoldenJonas
1/20/2007 11:24pm,
Jesus tap dancing christ do I suck at the internez....

thanks joe.

tanizaki
8/04/2007 12:39pm,
Anyone familiar with this school or instructor?

Having seen all of the _ing _hun shinanagins on the forums my interest is a bit piqued.

The school offers an intro week of class for $25 and you get a badass _ing _hun t-shirt and they offer a "full contact" class on Tues nights with the "Hammerhead Fight Club. It takes place once a week and is packed with grueling training and full contact in the end which includes grappling and take downs." (http://darrelljordan.moyyat.com/abouttheschool.html.

I'm sorry to necro the thread, but I didn't see that the OP received any substantive replies. Can anyone give any information about the school or instructor? Thank you very much.

JohnnyCache
8/04/2007 12:50pm,
I think there is someone on here that does moy yat vt

Dagon_Akujin, I think. But he's in another part of the country.

Dagon Akujin
8/04/2007 11:41pm,
How did I get subscribed to this thread? Interesting.

And Tom Kagen would probably be a better person to ask. He probably knows Darrel Jordan's sifu, Moy Lee Shan.

Oddity: HOME STUDY COURSES ON VIDEOTAPE??!?!?

Good point: Takes about a year to get to chi sao.

Another Good point: Great list of VT links. Tom, you'll probably be interested in these. Pete Pajil and Kevin Martin are in there, along with just about everyone I've ever heard of and more. Aaron Vyvial's page is there too. Gary Lam. Where's yours?

Dagon

Tom Kagan
8/05/2007 11:39am,
I know Darrell personally. (Ask him about the guy who managed to break a hole and fall through his freshly built sub-floor. :smile:)

I helped Darrell out technically to set up his website. I was not involved in creating the content. The information contained within his website is all his doing.

I've always considered him to be a decent guy who is honest about what he teaches and does. The video study course does trouble me a bit, though. Still, the course doesn't appear to make any grandiose claims as to what it can do for you. However, I don't know what it entails and will reserve judgment over it until I know more about it. In the meantime, I'll email him to let him know about this thread. Although he's the type to ignore a lot of the forums, he has in the past addressed public questions. I don't see why he wouldn't choose to participate here if there are any unanswered questions.

Where's yours?
I'm too fucking lazy and exhausted most of the time to put together a website beyond the one for my company: http://www.fabkom.com/ This will change eventually.

KungFuSurfer
12/20/2007 7:31am,
I am currently a student there! Been training there 2 months. The school rocks if what you are looking for is a small high quality school with traditional wing chun taught with a combative spirit, smart and friendly students who are motivated and serious, and a good sifu who keeps it real in terms of practical application and integration into practical sparring and fighting. Occasional physical conditioning sessions are thrown in to encourage fitness and mental toughness.

The videos are just that - instructional videos, nothing weird there. People who don't have access to a local school but want to learn wing chun rudiments need videos like that. I have the first set which shows Sil Lum Tao from different angles, explains some applications and points out important structural elements. You could learn the form well from those videos.

Some Wing Chun is more mellow some more aggressive. I would rate this school as being fairly high on the aggressive scale in terms of the training approach and intensity, though don't get me wrong it is very friendly. The intent over there is to teach (and learn) practical combat wing chun, and that is definitely what you get.

I have a base in JKD and Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do/ Jun Fan Gung Fu which I have acquired from training in the past (when I was in a different area) with Lamar Davis and by attending many seminars with Bruce Lee's original students. From this I developed the desire to go deeper into the pure Wing Chun training as I was always impressed by the combative ability of those who had done so. Sifu Jordan and his instructors, while not instructing in JKD per se, do instruct in the kickboxing, sparring, and street application of what is taught and occasionally mix up the training with these type drills. One of the top instructors came to the school with a Jeet Kune Do base, so he teaches from that perspective as well. But the core of the training is pure traditional Wing Chun.

I give the school two thumbs up, it's the real deal.

WayneK
1/02/2013 11:41pm,
I met D. Jordon once. I don't know him personally. This is my opinion on him. He may teach good WC, but as far as his business practices are their unscrupulous. He does not respect other teachers-(unless their part of his WVTAA, of which he founded). It's my opinion that when he sells his DVD's to an individual he sets out to try get them to start a charter school, making them head instructors, (feeds ego, his and theirs). He will still try to get the individual to start the charter school like the Mc-Dojos out there even if its next to another WC school,(not good business nor respectable). I could care less about this other than he's taken students away from our school with these tactics. People can get a black sash very fast. Ironically he only teaches privately now and you can go on a waiting list, after you get the DVD's I suspect. Their also learning things like grappling and aspects of other arts,(which I think is good) but is not authentic WC. I'm no forums ***** by putting this hater entry but in case you think so my name is Wayne King Jr.

Southpaw
1/07/2013 5:40pm,
Link didn't work but this sounds AWESOME!

Kind of like the Gracie Garage and correspondence program for Wing Chun!

I can't wait to submit my video to earn my red sash!

All praises due to yip man.