PDA

View Full Version : So, who has ever failed a grading?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

vladoshi
1/12/2007 6:44am,
Or their club mates.

Reply with the school name in the reply title. Then put the style, belt/level and official (and unofficial if needed) reasons given in the message body. Lets see a list of places that might properly test its students by its willingness to fail them.

Uechidude
1/12/2007 7:16am,
This thread really belongs in YMAS....I do believe.

vladoshi
1/12/2007 8:01am,
You could be right, but I believe my question:

- Asks for a personal experience as "Serious discussion" on which schools exactly are not "McDojos"
- proof of not being a "questionable Martial Artist"
- "fight fraud in the Martial Arts" by contributing specific examples of definitely not being fraud

It is a closed question not interested in anybody's philosophy, only their measureable experience (at least as honest as internet posts could be expected).

I do not my question buried between the avalanche of "pics of disaster"/YouTube links in YMAS, and it does not claim anyones MA sucks.

An interesting alternative could be unusual grading pre requisites. I read about a MA school in London that (at least used to) only allow the black belt grading after at least six months of regular bouncing experience.

Uechidude
1/12/2007 8:16am,
Well, anyone giving out a BB in 6 months needs to be shot. I actually earned mine early, and it only took 4 years. No, I have not failed any of my tests "yet", however I have one coming up this Feb...so who knows ? Now I have seen people in Uechi Fail test's up to the rank of Sandan. I witnessed this @ Frank Gormans dojo in Clearwater Fl.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1/12/2007 8:24am,
i failed scoring this rad patch once.

ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE
1/12/2007 8:27am,
Newcastle University Jitsu Club

I've seen (Well I wasn't actually in the grading but y'know) people fail:

White -> Yellow (8th -> 7th kyu)

Orange -> Green (6th -> 5th kyu)

Brown -> Black (1st kyu -> 1st dan)

Newcastle Univeristy Judo Club

I've seen people fail:

Low green to high green (4th-5th kyu)

Lu Tze
1/12/2007 9:00am,
I lost all my matches at my first grading (three out of three).

Oh the shame.

Edit: So err yeah, I've seen 'people' get failed from 9th to 8th. I wasn't the only one that day though, people from all levels got decked, that's just judo.

NorthWest
1/12/2007 9:59am,
Back when I did Karate:
West of Scotland Karate Association - failed my 1st Dan. This crowd used to fail people all the time, so nothing unusual there.
A few years later, 3 of us from the same club were tested for 2nd Dan by Harry Cook. 2 out 3 failed.

Nowadays, while I've not failed any Judo gradings yet, plenty of people do. Judo Scotland requires you to win competitive matches to progress up the ranks and where you get winners, you get losers.

datdamnmachine
1/12/2007 11:33am,
There are no gradings in BJJ (well, I hear a few schools do it, but it is somewhat taboo). If you've put in time on the mat, competed, and can consitantly beat people at your level and can give the guys at the level above you a run for your money then you get your rank. That's how I earned my blue belt.

I'm not a friend of gradings myself. I know too many people who freeze up during tests but are very knowlegable and I know those who can past any and all tests with no problem but don't retain any knowledge or pratical skills from that information. Anyone who has been in the Army and know how the promotion board works knows what I am talking about.

Ming Loyalist
1/12/2007 11:41am,
i have never seen anyone fail one of our tests, but that is because we have them go through a "pre-test" a few days before the test itself. if the student isn't 100% ready, they are told "you are not ready to test."

and THAT is a really common occurance.

Mr. Mantis
1/12/2007 11:44am,
I've seen plenty of people fail.

money
1/12/2007 12:18pm,
At my Karate dojo, they have "promotions" rather than "tests/gradings". If you're there, you're going to promote - if the sensei doesn't think you're ready, you're not invited. Even though you're going to get the belt, they make you go through an hour or two of torture to see how you handle the stress of the situation.

Besides being able to meet all the physical requirements (certain katas, one steps, kicks, falls, throws, etc) they also have a 80% attendance requirement, so I see a lot of folks not get invited, at least at the lower belt level.

datdamnmachine
1/12/2007 12:53pm,
At my Karate dojo, they have "promotions" rather than "tests/gradings". If you're there, you're going to promote - if the sensei doesn't think you're ready, you're not invited. Even though you're going to get the belt, they make you go through an hour or two of torture to see how you handle the stress of the situation.

Besides being able to meet all the physical requirements (certain katas, one steps, kicks, falls, throws, etc) they also have a 80% attendance requirement, so I see a lot of folks not get invited, at least at the lower belt level.

Me personally, the attendance reqirement sucks. I know many of badasses who are just as good as a lot of the people who come into class every session. For whatever reason (school, work, children, etc) they cannot make it. To deny them of something they have earned because of attendance sucks. If your school doesn't do that then that's cool, if it does, then it sucks.

money
1/12/2007 1:56pm,
Well I don't think it's a hard and fast rule, but it keeps folks from just showing up to half the classes and expecting to advance. If someone is putting in the effort out of class, I'm sure they'd make an exception.

It's 2 nights a week and promotions for low belts are every 3 months, so you can miss 7-8 classes over a quarter. I don't think it's that excessive.

NorthWest
1/12/2007 2:05pm,
Even though you're going to get the belt, they make you go through an hour or two of torture to see how you handle the stress of the situation.
If they are going to get promoted anyway, what is the point of this?

datdamnmachine
1/12/2007 2:44pm,
If they are going to get promoted anyway, what is the point of this?

I think it has something to do with exerting control over someone. I hear cult leaders do it all the time.