PDA

View Full Version : what it is

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

ragingvegan
1/11/2007 3:34am,
Martial Arts has totally changed the way i think and live. I am currently finishing up my testing for my black belt at Grandmaster Richard Lee's East West Bok Fu in Alamo, CA. I am in my 5th year as an instructor and 7th as a student at this school.

I am humbled by this subject and this is my frame of mind if you care to know:
Martial Arts or arts of war is a mental game you play with yourself, you can choose to be your best friend or your worst enemy - you allow or refuse defeat. You are your best and worst critic and you expect the best of yourself or let yourself slip.

I have found - even through the white starts and sunshine i have seen upon a nice shot or two to the sweet spot on my jaw, that the toughest fight I have ever fought (and am now starting to win) in is within in myself.

Most of all, I am thankful for my teachers.

AikidoBot
1/11/2007 3:35am,
Welcome to the Bullshido Forums ragingvegan... Make sure you review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83) and add it to your user control panel so you can get the http://www.bullshido.net/images/dojoreview1.gif icon in your user info bar in your posts.

alex
1/11/2007 3:39am,
raging vegan. i can tell that im going to like you.

ragingvegan
1/11/2007 12:53pm,
I have never trained at West Wind. I actually found this site in searching for Bok Fu Do on google and saw that article. West Wind teaches Bok Fu Do but, from what i understand, does not uphold the concepts and standards that are consistant with what we teach at East West in Alamo. I have not been there and they do not compete with us at tournaments so i cant say first hand what the school is about or what it takes to get a black belt there. I do know one guy, through my clothing business, who trains at west wind, loves the system but hates the politics.
All i can tell you is that to get a black belt at East West you must first get your teacher Rank, for which the minimum requirement is Blue belt. That took me 2 years, but has been known to take much longer - depends on your dedication. To get a black belt, my teacher did it in record time of 5 years - for me, my presentation will be next month and that will be my 7 year anniversary in the style of Bok Fu.
At East West, once your teacher has completed testing you and sees you as a black belt, you are then set free to test with all active black belts, one on one and in order of rank. This means that i have 18 final tests, the next black belt will have 19 and so on, this insures that the integrity of the system is kept solid. Each black belt will carry with them the insight and wisdom of the group.
Each test is up to the black belt that runs it, they can ask me to perform any kata or technique in the entire system, so far most of them have focused on my belt material. I have had 8 tests so far and passed them all.
The last 10 mass attacks in my belt material are 5 of my teachers and the last 5 are my own. We also learn our teachers open hand thesis and make up our own open hand and Staff form. So someday I will guide a student to black belt and they will learn my mass attacks and Katas.
I dont have to do any fighting to get my black belt - I passed that part of the test some time ago. :L) Thanks for asking.

OnceLost
1/11/2007 1:37pm,
What's a mass attack?

ragingvegan
1/11/2007 3:36pm,
A Mass Attack is a planned set of counter attacking techniques and kicks designed for 2 or more attackers - we go up to six attackers in the first degree brown belt in Bok Fu. We are tested both in the air and on human dummies. When perfoming all out on dummies we hit to non vital targets, in the air we strike mostly to vital/fatal targets.

Phrost
1/11/2007 3:43pm,
Hi ragingvegan.

To help you understand what many of us think of as "good" training, please watch this video:

www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

Tonuzaba
1/11/2007 5:01pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, ragingvegan.
I hope you'll stay around and read around a lot.
And as Gabster the Bad Elf asked:
"Do you spar at your school?"
Also "What kind of contract do you have and monthly dues etc?", but that's not as important...

Tonuzaba
1/11/2007 5:02pm,
raging vegan. i can tell that im going to like you.
I envy raging vegan. He made you like him in a single post.
I think I needed at least two...

Hanniballistic
1/11/2007 5:08pm,
I envy raging vegan. He made you like him in a single post.
I think I needed at least two...

I think he meant "like" in the same way a cop "likes" donuts...it is not a good portent!

Tonuzaba
1/11/2007 5:48pm,
You wanna tell ME how Alex means "like"?!?

alex
1/11/2007 6:11pm,
you dont want to know how i "like" people who are vegans. seriously. itll give you bad dreams.

Axelton
1/11/2007 6:30pm,
Alex is it in anyway sexual?

Axelton
1/11/2007 6:30pm,
p.s. buy a shirt damn it.

Epicurus
1/11/2007 7:17pm,
Alex is it in anyway sexual?

Here's a question that Alex gets a lot, though usually at the vet's office.

Welcome to the forums, Raging Vegan. I look forward to seeing you interact with the other members!

MacWombat
1/11/2007 7:18pm,
Here's a question that Alex gets a lot, though usually at the vet's office.

HIYOOOOOOOO!