PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Ian Nai in So. Mexico

IannaI77
1/09/2007 3:29pm,
Hi all.
My name is Ian Nai. I am a fighter from southern Mexico, although I have trained mostly in Brazil, where I went first to train Capoeira Angola under master Joao Pequeno. I quickly developed a taste for Vale Tudo and began training "unoficially" with some friends in Bahia. Later I met some of the folks of Chute Box out of Curituba (prof. picapau, and nilson de castro) I intent to go back to train with them in 2008.
Last year I went to Japan, where after making the rounds I got my fist big chance handed to me on a silver platter: to fight Yuki Kondo in Pancrase Blow 11. I was really doing them a favour in a sense, as the shceduled fighter could not make it, and they could find no one crazy enough to take his place with no preparation time, three days before the fight. Well, I took it, although I had not trained seriously in almost a year, as i had been recovering from a pretty bad injury (piriformis tear).
Needless to say, I went into the fight more concerned with keeping myself whole that actually winning, although I did get a couple good lick in, Kondo's ground skills got me before long.
Now I am heading back to Japan to train in Pancrase, at Kondo's gym in Yokohama, and start from the bottom. Hopefullly I can work my way up to once again challenge the king of Pancrase!
I am still interested in capoeira angola, although it is for the most part a no contact art, I feel it can prepare a fighter (especially in GPP/recovery, and coordination) and I continue to operate a Capoeira Angola academy in Southern Mexico.
Anyway, I ran in to this site, and it looks like there are people here who know what they are about. If there is anyone goint to Tokyo or Yokohama to train or fight, id be glad to be in touch, be corner, or help out in any way.
Peace all!

OmegaBot
1/09/2007 3:30pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, IannaI77. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Axelton
1/09/2007 3:36pm,
Nice man. Except you will never be the true king of pancrase in my eyes until you beat Bas Rutten.(best pancrase fighter of all time)

Neildo
1/09/2007 3:38pm,
Omegabot? Omega has robots that do his bidding now?

Wah! I want robots!

pauli
1/09/2007 3:39pm,
omegalings are bad enough.

IannaI77
1/09/2007 3:45pm,
hey, i heard Bas was back in UFC?? did he beat Kimo or what?

Axelton
1/09/2007 4:55pm,
hey, i heard Bas was back in UFC?? did he beat Kimo or what?

I think Bas is too busy coaching in the IFL to go back to fighting competitively.

Tonuzaba
1/09/2007 5:01pm,
Pancrease?
Tonuzaba

IannaI77
1/09/2007 5:49pm,
Jaja Tonusaba, funny, hadnt heard that one before... whew!!!
actually it comes from the greek. pan=all, crase=power
look it up

pauli
1/09/2007 8:12pm,
bas didn't fight kimo, as kimo popped positive some time prior to the fight (iirc).

elipson
1/10/2007 2:47pm,
What was your experience of the Capoeira you found in Brazil? Do you see a big difference between whats taught in North America and with what's taught in Brazil.

Tonuzaba
1/10/2007 2:50pm,
Jaja Tonusaba, funny, hadnt heard that one before... whew!!!
actually it comes from the greek. pan=all, crase=power
look it up
Sorry, yeah I know it wasn't the joke of the day, I just thought a picture might speak a thousand words...
Welcome to Bullshido, have a pleasant and enriching stay!

aaaargh
1/10/2007 3:39pm,
Pancreas. From Merriam-Webster: (http://m-w.com/dictionary/pancreas): a large lobulated gland of vertebrates that secretes digestive enzymes and the hormones insulin and glucagon

Etymology: New Latin, from Greek pankreas sweetbread, from pan- + kreas flesh, meat

What, you don't like the idea of a martial art named after sweetbread?

IannaI77
1/10/2007 4:04pm,
well elipson, i guess it could be compared to the differences between muai thai in thailand, and the watered-down-no-elbows-or-knees-to-the-face version we see in the USA. Capoeira in Brazil is taken pretty seriously, and although is not really a full contact sport (or a sport at all, really) some heavy contact is much more common in Brazilian street rodas that in the USA, including head butts to the face, elbows, serious sweeps, kicks, et. al. That said, there are some serious capoeira teachers in the USA, some even partake in competitive fighting as well. The main difference is really cultural, the level of respect and general capoeira education in Brazil makes for a much more intense and focused practice. That is not to say that capoeira in North America has not come a long way, which it has, but there are some cultural hurdles that may never be overcome.
Hope that is helpfull.

And to all the medical terminoligy buffoons, here are some links to help in your MMA education:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancrase

http://www.pancrase.co.jp/en/index.html

peace!!