PDA

View Full Version : Man Credits Hapkido For Bowling Success

Judah Maccabee
1/07/2007 10:54pm,
So after 10 years of study, he has a 3rd degree black belt; his wife is a 2nd degree; they run a school with an actual "Little Dragons" program, and the benefits of training in martial arts has helped him bowl perfect games and high averages.

Martial arts training helps Mt. Morris bowler on the lanes

GENESEE COUNTY
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Sunday, January 07, 2007
JOURNAL SPORTS WRITER

The skills necessary in martial arts training can help in other things, too - like bowling according to a Mt. Morris man.

Steve Heath, who has been bowling for 25 years, said his game has improved in the 10 years since he took up martial arts.

"It helps with balance and that's very important in bowling," Heath said. "It teaches you to focus and it really helps to calm you down.

"I used to get pretty angry. When you get angry you just can't bowl too good."

Heath, 40, has had little reason to be angry in a season which began with a 298 game and has since included two 300s and a career-high 767 series.

Heath collected his first perfect game in the Monday Nite Owls League at Richfield Bowl, then followed it up with another 300 in the Guys and Dolls League at Richfield.

"The second one was kind of shocking," Heath said. "They say 300s come faster once you get the first one. I guess they're right.

"The nice thing about the second one is my wife (Terry) got to see it."

Terry saw her husband's perfect game cap a 722 series that also included games of 248 and 174.

"I think 300s are a lot of luck," Heath said. "Its if the pins fall down. "You get a string of strikes you always think you're going to leave the 10-pin."

Heath is a 1984 graduate of Clio High where he ran on the track and cross country teams.

He has his own auction company and for the last three years has operated Heath's Hapkido, teaching martial arts to 15 "little dragons" (ages 4-9) and 20 adults (10 and over).

Heath owns a third degree black belt and Terry is a second degree black belt.

"We enrolled our daughter (Valerie) in martial arts and then we got into it, too," Heath said. "We just love it."

Heath is averaging 214 and 215 in the two leagues after posting high averages of 214 in each of the previous two seasons.

Unlike many who maintain solid averages, Heath has done it with the same equipment. His bowling ball is 4 years old.

"A lot of guys are always changing bowling balls," Heath said. "When you miss your mark, the ball isn't the reason.

"I don't even have a spare ball. I'm probably the only guy who does that. I guess that's not good for the bowling ball industry."

Willie Brown also registered his second 300 game of the season at Grand Blanc Lanes. Brown connected in the Wildcat League where he posted a 776 series. It was the ninth 300 of Brown's career.

Sara Teuber's third 700 of the season moved her atop the women's scoring list at B's Bowling.

Teuber smashed 774 in the Two Babes and a Ball League, the area's second highest women's series of the season. Her games were 269, 257 and 248.

Senior Nancy Clark topped another session of the same league with a 715 total. Clark, the area record holder in senior competition, spiced her effort with a 278 game.

Veronica Lynch fired the highest women's series at Town and Country Lanes this season with 745 in the Bankers League. It is the league record set for the women members and came on games of 212, 275 and 258.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1168177909248400.xml&coll=5

=-=-=-

One of my MA conditioning books talks about how Tiger Woods is at the top of his game partially because of his physical conditioning and staying in shape, and interestingly enough, mentions that conditioning helps bowlers do better too.