PDA

View Full Version : Ninjutsu question

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Cazper
8/03/2003 2:47am,
Hey all, I'm new here, and this is a very cool site.
I don't intend to offend with this question, I'm genuinely curious.
Assuming it's legitimate, how in fact did the current schools of ninja skills ever become public?
I can't help but think, a secret school of training for illegal assassins wouldn't just one day say, "hey, lets open this up on main street!" without being immediately arrested or captured by the government. How did they go about being public?
Thanks

MrMcFu
8/03/2003 3:10am,
http://www.ashidakim.com/ has all you need to get started.

jing shen gou
8/03/2003 7:46pm,
Thats low McFu. The reason they went public was that the laws regarding ninjutsu were repealed. as for why they would, god only knows. but the techniques are taught for self defense. so It's a good bet the government decided to treat it like any other MA. Thats how they haven't been arrested.

Cazper
8/03/2003 9:22pm,
Cool, thanks guys

Mikeyb
8/03/2003 10:18pm,
Here is a good article on the history of "Ninjutsu".
http://www.oniko.de/archiv/uraomote/1996/96january.html#look

For the record, "Ninja" by and large where not assasins; infact what few assasinations that where carried out by Ninja, failed miserably. The link above is an article from Ure & Omote, a Bujinkan site. There are other legitimate organizations that deal with Ninjutsu such as the Genbukan, Jinenkan, and the Katori Shinto Ryu.

kusa
8/04/2003 12:47pm,
http://www.ninpo.org/ninpohistory/ninpohistory.html

For a History from somebody with a doctorate in south east aisan history of warfare. Warning is several hundred words long, those of you with ADD best run along.

whiteninja
8/05/2003 12:30am,
The real reason why ninjutsu was brought to the public is the grandmaster before our current grandmaster thought that war was over and he decided it was time for the world to know.

Akuma
8/07/2003 5:21am,
Here is a good article on the history of "Ninjutsu".
http://www.oniko.de/archiv/uraomote/1996/96january.html#look

For the record, "Ninja" by and large where not assasins; infact what few assasinations that where carried out by Ninja, failed miserably. The link above is an article from Ure & Omote, a Bujinkan site. There are other legitimate organizations that deal with Ninjutsu such as the Genbukan, Jinenkan, and the Katori Shinto Ryu.

Have fun!!

Yeah right and if they failed miserably then why were they feared by the Samurai themselves? Why were they given respect and why were they were absorbed by the Meiji Government during the Meiji restoration serving as spies and agents?

I will flame Fatality Gay until he dies of Cancer, AIDS, SARS and terrorism.

Mikeyb
8/07/2003 12:15pm,
If they where feared, it was because of their
proficiency in combat, not to mention the human factor of inflation and exaggeration of facts. Many
"Ninja" were infact samurai...but reality is, that
assasinations where not their forte'. Yes, some groups hired
themselves out as mercenaries and such, but by and large they were
despised because they were a counter culture.

Edited by - mikeyb on August 07 2003 12:29:12

blueskycomplex
8/07/2003 5:01pm,
My japanese friends laugh at ninjas. They are a joke.

Akuma
8/08/2003 1:53am,
If they where feared, it was because of their
proficiency in combat, not to mention the human factor of inflation and exaggeration of facts. Many
"Ninja" were infact samurai...but reality is, that
assasinations where not their forte'. Yes, some groups hired
themselves out as mercenaries and such, but by and large they were
despised because they were a counter culture.

Have fun!!

Edited by - mikeyb on August 07 2003 12:29:12

Ninjas were samurai? I could laugh all day about your post. The truth is, ninjas were rebels...they were rebellious about their country with samurai ruling the country and all that so they seperated themselves from the rest of the nation and started their own martial arts until such a time that it was fully developed, they started assassinating samurai warriors who were *persecuting* the peasants.

I will flame Fatality Gay until he dies of Cancer, AIDS, SARS and terrorism.

Mikeyb
8/08/2003 8:43am,
Once again, they were NOT ASSASSINS!!!
If you did a little research about the subject
(excluding Ashida Kim and Sho Kosugi as sources)you would realize that the belief that they were running around killing people with blow guns and shuriken between the eyes is simply not true.

Many Ninja where infact samurai, which isnt too much of a stretch do to the fact that many of the martial arts the Ninja practiced where the same as those practiced by the Samurai and Ashigaru.

Spunky
8/09/2003 7:36pm,
"Ninjas were samurai? I could laugh all day about your post. The truth is, ninjas were rebels...they were rebellious about their country with samurai ruling the country and all that so they seperated themselves from the rest of the nation and started their own martial arts until such a time that it was fully developed, they started assassinating samurai warriors who were *persecuting* the peasants."

Even people who laugh at the idea seem to want to believe that "ninjutsu" is some mythical, secret teaching used by supermen who somehow developed their fighting arts in isolation from militant society. Even within the Bujinkan there are those who seem to look beyond what's on their plate, wanting to believe there is some secret teachings the general public is not privy to.

There were samurai who used kuji "magic," used shuriken on the battlefield, and performed assassinations. At the same time, ninja fought on battlefields with armor and conventional weaponry. Hattori Hanzo was a famous Iga samurai who also happened to be ninja jonin, a close ally and favored warlord of the Shogun Ieyasu, who was successor of Hideyoshi (who unified Japan) and founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate that reigned until the meiji restoration. These people were much more interrelated than you appear to believe.

There were methods of intrusion and sentry removal, poison concoction, guerilla tactics, political espionage, etc, but these developed atop conventional martial traditions and were used by the people that could benifit (ruling class families). This doesn't mean that there weren't peasants trained in these arts, indeed it could provide a degree of anonymity and plausible denial (what has changed?). Iga was still governed by samurai.

Edited by - spunky on August 09 2003 19:48:35

Miguksaram
8/11/2003 11:12am,
"The truth is, ninjas were rebels...they were rebellious about their country with samurai ruling the country and all that so they seperated themselves from the rest of the nation and started their own martial arts until such a time that it was fully developed, they started assassinating samurai warriors who were *persecuting* the peasants."

I believe this falls into the romanticism of the Ninja. Basically Ninjitsu is based on taijitsu. It has been said that Ninja were masterless samurais, either by having lost their master or being "fired" if you will, ie..they were ronins. They functioned under the same code of the Bushido.

Jeremy M. Talbott

Owner of Kungfools, Scourge of Kungfools' joke-based logic, and the Preeminent Force in putting dumbasses like him to bed
http://www.koreanma.homestead.com/index.html
http://www.martialscience.homestead.com/home.html

Freddy
8/12/2003 5:09pm,
I would say that SOME Ninjas were samurais but not many . There were some samurais who had no masters (became ronins) and later ninjas. Although I do believe also that there were many ninjas who were mainly poor peasants and what not.
There were also schools of samurias that taugh how to defend oneself agaisnt ninjas etc.

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"
Anton LaVey made me say it!

jing shen gou
8/12/2003 9:03pm,
Actually, some ninjas were buddhist monks as well as shinto priests and monks.