PDA

View Full Version : Hello and thanks

SolarBear
1/05/2007 7:46pm,
Hey all ! I've been lurking around for some time and just wanted to say hello and thanks. I've been "shopping around" for a MA school and I was thinking of joining the local Fang Shen Do school ("OMFG these guys are giving a whole free month ! w00t !"). For some weird reason, I had bookmarked this site so I went here, just to make sure I wouldn't be completely wasting my time... and boy am I glad I did. I'm not getting near this place in a 100 feet radius. I did some wing chun previously (for which bullshidoers have a lot of love, obviously) but left after a month... I figured for myself what it was. No more CMA for me, I'm afraid. Sob.

By the way, how do you call a chinese mcdojo ? Burger kwoon ? Just curious.

Thanks.

Axelton
1/05/2007 7:49pm,
welcome.

what flavor of kempo do you do?

RunningDog
1/05/2007 7:51pm,
You're welcome!

To Bullshido.

SolarBear
1/05/2007 11:14pm,
welcome.

what flavor of kempo do you do?
Good question. The kenpo classes I attended were Jean-Guy Angell kenpo (http://www.kenpo.qc.ca/accu.htm). Have a look at the "Généalogie" section, it's in french but it's pretty self-explanatory. I got to green belt then but had to give up because of evening university classes, and then I got to move here in Québec City and there's no school nearby so I can't join back. Anyway, sparring was limited, way too much for my own tastes (point sparring and only hits to the torso or the head, face excepted, counted, leg kicking was illegal, no throws/takedowns/grappling, etc.).

Right now I'm looking at and listing all nearby schools. There's quite a few around : a few kung fu schools (white crane, longfist, wing chun, shaolin 5 animals, hung gar), karate (Studios Unis (http://www.studiosunis.com/), which looks like it's Nick Cerio's kenpo, whatever that means, as well as shotokan, kyoshindo, yoseikan), TKD, judo, hapkido, even a kendo club. I would've liked BJJ or especially JKD but I can't find any nearby.

I'll make sure to come back here when I make up my mind. If by any chance anyone knows of JKD or BJJ clubs around Québec City, please post. Thank you.

Axelton
1/06/2007 5:50pm,
from that website it seems you studied a kenpo from William KS Chow's lineage so it could be any number of kenpos from parrker, to tracy. i cant get much of it because i dont speak french.

anyways those kung fu schools you listed the one youll actually get the most out of is wing chun. Who knows maybe it has a down to earth sifu who appreciates crosstraining and aliveness as we call it here. But in most cases base your choice off the instructors training methologies and not the style name.

SolarBear
1/07/2007 8:59pm,
anyways those kung fu schools you listed the one youll actually get the most out of is wing chun. Who knows maybe it has a down to earth sifu who appreciates crosstraining and aliveness as we call it here. But in most cases base your choice off the instructors training methologies and not the style name. I attended that wing chun school for a month or two, actually. Sparring is reserved for advanced students, so unless you've spent 2-3 years there, you're stuck with chi sao exercises, and even then, sparring was, well, limited. Guys throwing a few nice kicks and punches at each other - even though my kenpo classes had limited sparring, at least we'd just throw ourselves at each other with 80%+ power.

I did a bit more research though and I've found a place teaching kickboxing and JKD - I'll go have a look this week.

EDIT : I also found out there's a BJJ club at the university. Seems like I'll need to make a choice !

Stringfellow
1/17/2007 7:29pm,
My work is done.
:smile: