PDA

View Full Version : Bullshido recon

Pages : [1] 2

Robot Jesus
1/05/2007 12:24am,
So I havenít been training for a semester and the judo club I want to join doesnít accept new members until the end of the month.

So Iíve thought about checking out temple kung fu, in an investigative sense.

Iím going to see how far I can go without paying anything.

Anyone have any specific information I should try to get.

polishillusion
1/05/2007 12:40am,
Plans to their nuclear weapons program would be a nice start. Perhaps a sample of their blood to see if they are aliens or not. If Angelina Jolie works out there, be sure to get all the clothes and drippings you can.

That is all. This message will self-destruct in

fixed that for you, pervert.

Sam Browning
1/05/2007 12:45am,
Lets see:

1) a copy of one of their standard contracts.

2) Their creation tale in nausating detail.

3) Their internal rank structure.

4) How they run testing, their price per belt test.

5) What it looks like they teach, stylistically.

6) What they use for their sales tactics.

7) Any and all paperwork. This is especialy useful for finding out their different membership plans.

8) Biographical information on their founder.

That should be a good start. Act dumb and let them run all of their sales pitches on you.

Sam Browning
1/05/2007 12:47am,
Go to classics and Mega threads and review the investigation Bun Yip did on West Wind for inspiration.

Robot Jesus
1/05/2007 12:47am,
Act dumb and let them run all of their sales pitches on you.

i work in sales, should be easy.

Sam Browning
1/05/2007 12:51am,
9) General skill level of members in their classes.

10) Instructor skill level and experience.

Robot Jesus
1/05/2007 2:57am,
im sorry. im still quite retarted in the combative arts. the best i will be able to offer is a vage estimation.

johnny3443
1/05/2007 3:18am,
Ask them what they think about cross training in other arts.

Asriel
1/05/2007 4:25am,
Ask them what their opinion of contact sparring is

sempaiman
1/05/2007 9:33am,
Ask if there style is "too deadly" for them to spar.

Ronin.74
1/05/2007 10:17am,
Ask if any of their students have competed professionally, as in Kickboxing or MMA.

datdamnmachine
1/05/2007 11:29am,
im sorry. im still quite retarted in the combative arts. the best i will be able to offer is a vage estimation.

The other member's are offering some good points but I'm sure they will be suspecious if you come out and say it like that. I would suggest using scenarios as a means of fleshing out some information. One such would be:

"Lets say I kick him and he grabs my leg and I accidently trip and fall. He lands on top of me. How do I get out of this position?"

Their responce would let you know if you use the "Anti-Crapple".

Sam Browning
1/05/2007 11:32am,
Thats a great way to put it!

FictionPimp
1/05/2007 11:37am,
When I play dumb I use the old 'my friend says this' line.

This allows you to say anything to them to gauge their response and still see you as a noob.

Example. "My friend says I should only train somewhere that does full contact sparing." or "My friend says grappling is a very important part of self defense." or "My friend says people in the UFC never do kata and are better then people who do kata."

kobudo
1/05/2007 12:25pm,
[. . .] or "My friend says people in the UFC never do kata and are better then people who do kata."

If you want to appear totally new at this, before they have a chance to answer, say, "First of all, what's kata?" This takes any pressure off them and turns a "hardball" question into a "softball" question -- it's good when doing investigative journalism to move from the easy stuff that isn't confrontational to questions that may appear to be testing what the interviewee believes.

Follow up later with "was my friend right about that kata thing?" This may bother him, or it may not. Depends on if he "feels" like he's being investigated/questioned.

HearWa
1/05/2007 3:28pm,
Bullshido should really have a template of standard questions to be asked at a prospective club, and a way to calculate their responses with a "Bullshido meter."