PDA

View Full Version : My son's Kenpo McDojo

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

pittfrog
1/04/2007 2:43pm,
I used to take Kenpo at the same school as my 6 year old son, until I kneed one of the instructors in the face in a crappling session, and mad drama ensued. Reader's digest version of that: I now study with an instructor who teaches Inosanto FMA and JKD. Sadly my new school doesn't teach kids, or my kid would be there.

So, I'm picking my kid up at Kenpo last week, and the owner of the Kenpo joint gives me some papers about an exciting new direction for his school. They're going to teach "Kenpo Groundfighting" once a week--wtf is that? They're also going to be teaching Kali and the "Counterpoint Tactical System" as add-ons to the Kenpo program. From the material I've seen in his class, and from what I've read, "Counterpoint" is a kenpo-ization of flow drills from Kali, only done with Kenpo techniques. They'll be offering rank in both together, or something, which is interesting AFAIK the guy holds no rank in any recognized system of Kali,Eskrima, or grappling art.

To take advantage of all this stuff, there is a $35 a month price increase to $115, for admittance to the "black belt program", and new restrictions on the older "basic kenpo" students. It used to be 80 bucks, and come whenever you want (we came 2-3 times per week), now it's 80 for 2/week only. Call me crazy, but I think $115 a month for kid's Kenpo is a bit much.

This guy makes his money primarily on teaching kids, and on his "cardio-kickboxing" program (which is really just an hour of calisthenics--not a bad thing, but not kickboxing), and has a very small (less than 15 students) adult program.

His whole program is starting to stink to me.

milwaukee cop
1/04/2007 2:52pm,
here's a thought, have you considered enrolling your son in a folk style wrestling program,they are very cheap for the price, but the content they learn is very good, judo is another good program for kids, though still realitively cheap, more exspensive than wrestling.
I would recommend boxing for striking, but youth programs are hard to find in some places, and prices vary.

Aleem
1/04/2007 3:54pm,
Hmmm. I'd consider the sort of ideas milwaukee's giving you. Seriously, I've attended the type of school you seem to be describing, and it infuriates me to think that I gave them my money, for them to tell me that after one session with them, I could defend against an elephant - all I needed was my trusty chainpunch. Boxing, Judo, any kind of grappling school will give your child the aliveness that he needs in training, if its to have a positive effect. Good luck with it, but the place you're at now seems dodgy.

HonkyTonkMan
1/04/2007 3:57pm,
Sounds like he is already trying to capitalize on the new Ke?po 5.0.

Take him out of that school. Avoid TKD

Is there any possibility that you could teach him at home? I teach my kids what BJJ I learn, and some Judo. It is a filler just to keep him active until you can find someplace suitable.

GoldenJonas
1/04/2007 4:05pm,
So, I'm picking my kid up at Kenpo last week, and the owner of the Kenpo joint gives me some papers about an exciting new direction for his school. They're going to teach "Kenpo Groundfighting" once a week--wtf is that? They're also going to be teaching Kali and the "Counterpoint Tactical System" as add-ons to the Kenpo program. From the material I've seen in his class, and from what I've read, "Counterpoint" is a kenpo-ization of flow drills from Kali, only done with Kenpo techniques. They'll be offering rank in both together, or something, which is interesting AFAIK the guy holds no rank in any recognized system of Kali,Eskrima, or grappling art.

To take advantage of all this stuff, there is a $35 a month price increase to $115, for admittance to the "black belt program", and new restrictions on the older "basic kenpo" students. It used to be 80 bucks, and come whenever you want (we came 2-3 times per week), now it's 80 for 2/week only. Call me crazy, but I think $115 a month for kid's Kenpo is a bit much.

Take your boy OUT of the school, spray him down in a decontamination tent, ala Silkwood, in your back yard. Burn the school to the ground and throw a copy of The Master Text into the charred remains to sanctify the spot and stop the evil from sprouting ever again.

May Helio be with you my son.

Ke?poFist
1/04/2007 4:44pm,
What brand of Ke?po was this?

Omega Supreme
1/04/2007 4:47pm,
I'm curious about this too.

pittfrog
1/04/2007 4:54pm,
I have focus pads, and I got him a pair of real youth boxing gloves from Balazs boxing. I work on basics with him: jabs, crosses, hooks, combos, some low kicks, and keeping his hands up. He loves the stuff with the pads, because I conk him on the head with the pads (not hard) when he drops his hands--he thinks that is hilarious.

I've shown him a little stick work, but that mostly degenerates into Star Wars style dueling, complete with our renditions of light saber noises. Lots of "I am your father" and "You don't know the power of the dark side!" What can I say, he's 6.

pittfrog
1/04/2007 4:56pm,

American/Parker's Kenpo, Huk Planas lineage, if it matters.

Omega Supreme
1/04/2007 4:58pm,
I would really like to know more about this possible crappling curriculum.

pittfrog
1/04/2007 5:07pm,
I would really like to know more about this possible crappling curriculum.

Sadly, I can't help with that. The guy I kneed in the face still has a sore ***** about the big scar I gave him (won't talk to me or look at me when I pick up my kid) despite my numerous apologies, and visiting him in the hospital.

Omega Supreme
1/04/2007 5:10pm,
And you still have your kid in the school? You're a better man than I.

pittfrog
1/04/2007 5:15pm,
Wife wants him there, and honestly my kid likes it, has friends there, etc. Sport/exercise that he likes is to be enouraged; it would be selfish to let my silly adult drama **** up something he enjoys.

Ke?poFist
1/04/2007 5:16pm,
Does it seem like a running theme with crappling dojos that when they get hurt by a student that they will have sand in their vagina over it till the end of time? 4th time I've read a story similar to this on these forums.

datdamnmachine
1/04/2007 5:17pm,
Sadly, I can't help with that. The guy I kneed in the face still has a sore ***** about the big scar I gave him (won't talk to me or look at me when I pick up my kid) despite my numerous apologies, and visiting him in the hospital.

And you still have your kid in the school? You're a better man than I.

You are a better man then any of us.

What a puss! I had my nose broke in BJJ and the only thing I could think about was when I could get back on the mats and how long would surgery keep me off the mats. Regardless, I opted out of surgery since you can barely tell it was/is broken (if I point it out, you will see it, but it's no Rich Franklin after the A. Silva fight mind you) and the fact that sugery for a broken nose sucks ass.

P.S. What a fucking PUSS!

alex
1/04/2007 5:18pm,
damn you put him in hospital? what the **** did you do a flying knee drop from the top rope?