PDA

View Full Version : hi, new to the forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

cumbriasystema
1/02/2007 12:47am,
hi, this is the first time i have posted on this forum, hence being in this section, i am from the lake district in england and i am interestedin all forms of martial arts, i have not practiced many different forms mainly studied them, i have been shown various things of variousdifferent styles by various people and my opinion comes from experience, other people and studies.

at the moment i practice systema which i have been at for about 6 months now (so im no expert). before systema i trained in a small amount of karate and aikido. systema is my life at the moment as it is the most effective martial art i have ever seen (and unfortunately felt (cheers trev)).

i have seen bad things been wrote on these forums of systema and think it is mostly a load of bollocks what is said on here, if anyone wishes to critisize me, say my martial art sucks, question me or chat i am open to talk about any martial art wether it is known to me or not. like i mentioned before i do not havea great deal of experience but what i do have definitely shows me systema is the way forward for me. cheers for readingand accepting my opinions.

Edited by JKDChick for font size and GOSH are you lucky this is in Newbietown

leere_form
1/02/2007 12:56am,
woah, please make your font bigger.

that is, if you want anyone to even consider reading what you wrote. i can't promise anyone will anyway. i didn't.

welcome to bullshido.

cumbriasystema
1/02/2007 12:59am,
hi, this is the first time i have posted on this forum, hence being in this section, i am from the lake district in england and i am interested in all forms of martial arts, i have not practiced many different forms mainly studied them, i have been shown various things of various different styles by various people and my opinion comes from experience, other people and studies. at the moment i practice systema which i have been at for about 6 months now (so im no expert). before systema i trained in a small amount of karate and aikido. systema is my life at the moment as it is the most effective martial art i have ever seen (and unfortunately felt (cheers trev)). i have seen bad things been wrote on these forums of systema and think it is mostly a load of bollocks what is said on here, if anyone wishes to critisize me, say my martial art sucks, question me or chat i am open to talk about any martial art wether it is known to me or not. like i mentioned before i do not havea great deal of experience but what i do have definitely shows me systema is the way forward for me. cheers for reading and accepting my opinions.

that was the original message, apologies for the small font

cumbriasystema
1/02/2007 1:01am,
btw leere form why no consideration for what i said?

alex
1/02/2007 1:02am,
use the normal font if you dont want everyone to assume you are an idiot. the default text size is the default for a reason.

the systema you study may or may not be crap, from what ive seen of the system im going for the former. why dont you describe us a typical lesson? it should include the words hard sparring, hit in the mouf, exhaustion, and drills.

leere_form
1/02/2007 1:03am,
because of your small font. now i will read what you had to say ...

huh. i've done karate and aikido too, but never systema.

what did you think of karate and aikido?

cumbriasystema
1/02/2007 1:11am,
okay, no problem, a typical systema lesson for me, there is usually about 10 of us in the lesson and we start just by warming up, each lesson we cover something different but ill describe last lesson i had. after warming up we started with avoiding hits, we were shown a few different ways of avoiding a hit, not so much the techniques but the movements that canbe used in different ways, we then split into pairs to learn these ways of avoiding hits, we werent given any techniques as such just the basis for the moevement so we could mould it to whatever situation we were in. after the escape from hits we moved onto escape from kicks and the same sort of thing was done, we then learned a little about escape from hits/kicks from the ground and from chairs etc. after the lesson i felt a lot more confident about avoiding attack than when i had trained karate or aikido. that was our last lesson, the lesson before we did some simple but very effective knife defenses. if you have another question please do ask.

alex
1/02/2007 1:13am,
**** gabster does this always have to come back to a competition between your sister and your grandmother? they both have their own low and high points, cant we leave it at that?

seriously though, hes right. i spent 4-5 years thinking the karate/kung fu side of things was the bees knees. took me that long before i got the stupid beaten out of me. since then ive dipped in a lot of different arts and unfortunately the majority are fundamentally flawed when it comes to actually hurting other human beings.

edit- what does "avoiding" attacks consist of? slipping drills?

cumbriasystema
1/02/2007 1:19am,
leere form - i found karate and aikido too structured, it would be fine to learn if everyone who wanted toattack me did what i told them. the attack and defense is ok if you are in the right situation but rather than learning one attack and one defense for each situation systema teaches the movement that can be used for any situation. its like having a multitool rather than a toolbox in my mind.

gabster - i defintely see your point saying that i have nothing or very little to compare it to, however like i say i did a small amount of karate and aikido and have explained my feelings about them above - in karate i learned to block a hit from the front but if the hit was slightly offset the defense i had been taught would have been about as useful as that sack of potatoes you mentioned. however in systema you learn more movement that technique so things can be made to suit the situation a lot easier. since learning systema i know myself that i have improved a lot in my style of martial arts. i am by no means an expert asi say but i feel it is very effective. also on one part of the sight it says that the systema videos are a crock of **** and refers to the writing on the back of the strikes dvd, after reading the breakdownof why systema is bad i have to disagree with most of it. any more comments andquestions are welcome

leere_form
1/02/2007 1:21am,
since then ive dipped in a lot of different arts and unfortunately the majority are fundamentally flawed when it comes to actually hurting other human beings.

i think martial arts are a form of primitivism.

guns are much better for just hurting people, but beating someone to a bloody mess is just.. sigh, so idyllic and natural.

cumbriasystema
1/02/2007 1:23am,
alex - i also see your point of see what the rest has to offer and thats what im trying to do, its only the basics of other martial arts that i have read about or spoke with people about do not seem as strong as systema and any techniques i have experienced or seen have not seemed as strong, avoiding attacks i mean all different ways. attacking the attack, bringing in the attack, slipping the attack away, using the attack etc. multiple things as so they can be used for different situations not just one as the things i learned in karate or aikido

alex
1/02/2007 1:24am,
leere form - i found karate and aikido too structured, it would be fine to learn if everyone who wanted toattack me did what i told them. the attack and defense is ok if you are in the right situation but rather than learning one attack and one defense for each situation systema teaches the movement that can be used for any situation. its like having a multitool rather than a toolbox in my mind.

gabster - i defintely see your point saying that i have nothing or very little to compare it to, however like i say i did a small amount of karate and aikido and have explained my feelings about them above - in karate i learned to block a hit from the front but if the hit was slightly offset the defense i had been taught would have been about as useful as that sack of potatoes you mentioned. however in systema you learn more movement that technique so things can be made to suit the situation a lot easier. since learning systema i know myself that i have improved a lot in my style of martial arts. i am by no means an expert asi say but i feel it is very effective. also on one part of the sight it says that the systema videos are a crock of **** and refers to the writing on the back of the strikes dvd, after reading the breakdownof why systema is bad i have to disagree with most of it. any more comments andquestions are welcome

what kind of sparring do you do?

cumbriasystema
1/02/2007 1:25am,
leere form - i must disagree, i do enjoy training in any form of martial art but i hate fighting outside training, if its neccessary it will be done but i dont personally like fighting as a hobby outside training, how does everyone else feel on the matter?

leere_form
1/02/2007 1:26am,
i found karate and aikido too structured, it would be fine to learn if everyone who wanted toattack me did what i told them. the attack and defense is ok if you are in the right situation but rather than learning one attack and one defense for each situation systema teaches the movement that can be used for any situation. its like having a multitool rather than a toolbox in my mind.

what you are describing in karate and aikido is a lack of alive training.

do you spar in your systema classes?

cumbriasystema
1/02/2007 1:28am,
the majority of the time i personally do slow sparring as otherwise at the moment i would get caned due to the fact the rest of the students are more advanced. we do slow sparring to improve skill levels and as to not injure ourselves but obviously some fast sparring is neccessary, not on the basis of rip each other apart but more on the basis of show each other that if the fight were real they would be in pain. systema is not a sport it is a mode of defense, therefore there are no no headshots or no twisting bollocks rules

alex
1/02/2007 1:32am,
leaving aside how shitty "slow" sparring is regardless of the skill level of people involved, what level of contact do you guys go at?