PDA

View Full Version : Don't Hate TKD; Hate the individuals that are ruining our art.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

amaa
12/23/2006 7:58pm,
Every art out there has its good and bad schools. Each with its own advantages and disadvantages over the other arts. Taekwondo's massive growth and popularity have just put it in the spotlight more than the other arts and made it a target for haters. I admit that I (5th Dan, Chang Hon TKD), don't like what the Olympic (WTF) syle has done to our art. Because of the WTF style, most people now think of TKD as a sport for kids and not as an effective self defense/fighting system. However, any TKD school, WTF or ITF, that properly teaches a core curriculum of basic techniques, fight principles and strategies, and real world self defense, will turn out excellent martial artists. Don't blame the deficiencies you see on the art, blame it on poor instruction from less than qualified teachers who have lost focus of what our art is about. There are still many of us out there who are consistently producing excellent martial artists.

Axelton
12/23/2006 8:03pm,
search function.

Matsufubu
12/23/2006 8:38pm,
^^^Times one billion.

Doctor X
12/23/2006 8:54pm,
OBEY t3h wisdom of the Floating Head of Helio!!

http://skepticalcommunity.com/phpbb2/uploads/searchfunctionnewbie.jpg

--J.D.

Gumby
Every art out there has its good and bad schools. Each with its own advantages and disadvantages over the other arts. .

This is true to some extent. Some martial arts are simply better than others. Its the real world and someone has to win.

However, any TKD school, WTF or ITF, that properly teaches a core curriculum of basic techniques, fight principles and strategies, and real world self defense, will turn out excellent martial artists. There are still many of us out there who are consistently producing excellent martial artists.

Such a school wouldnt exactly be teaching TKD then....

It also depends on what your definition is of "excellent martial artist" is. Most of bullshido will agree that its your ability to fight.

For example, Tiger Schulmans is technically Tae Kwon Do by name, but the reality is that they arent teaching TKD- they're teaching mostly Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. The only reason hes called it TKD is because thats what he held ranking in, and having a black belt makes money.

Virus
If by your reasoning there is some "real" TKD out there that hasn't "lost focus" and still knows what "it's about" then there must be some sort of evidence. This is what you have to supply before anyone thinks you are worth listening to as we have head the "t3h r34l" argument thousands of times for every failed art in existence. So what evidence do you have that there is functional TKD out there? Video footage might be a good place to start.

hoodedmonk
12/23/2006 9:09pm,
Every art out there has its good and bad schools. Each with its own advantages and disadvantages over the other arts. Taekwondo's massive growth and popularity have just put it in the spotlight more than the other arts and made it a target for haters. I admit that I (5th Dan, Chang Hon TKD), don't like what the Olympic (WTF) syle has done to our art. Because of the WTF style, most people now think of TKD as a sport for kids and not as an effective self defense/fighting system. However, any TKD school, WTF or ITF, that properly teaches a core curriculum of basic techniques, fight principles and strategies, and real world self defense, will turn out excellent martial artists. Don't blame the deficiencies you see on the art, blame it on poor instruction from less than qualified teachers who have lost focus of what our art is about. There are still many of us out there who are consistently producing excellent martial artists.When you say "excellent martial artist "are talking about good fighters or good human beings? jet li and jackie chan are in my opinion great martial artist, However not sure how good they would do in a fight!

DerAuslander
12/23/2006 9:15pm,
Such a school wouldnt exactly be teaching TKD then....

Please explain the logic you used to come to this conclusion.

Askari
12/23/2006 9:16pm,
You know, I thought the place was a myth. But it is out there, the "Real Karate" (tm)

http://www.kampsport.no/files/%7B28AF8EDC-2CB3-4D97-8C94-685E67F1070D%7D.gif

http://www.trollkampsport.no/tkss/index.htm

Yes, I have been saving this one for awhile. It just needed time to ferment. I was going to suggest it be Sirc's new avatar, but I let that one pass.

Mr. Jones
12/23/2006 9:18pm,
If your style keeps it real this stuff shouldn't bother you. Otherwise it will turn into a Hannibalisque argument.

For example

Hannibal: Karate doesn't suck because Kyokushin doesn't suck.

Doctor X
12/23/2006 9:29pm,
You lie!

That almost makes sense!

--J.D.

CanucKyokushin
12/23/2006 9:37pm,
Every art out there has its good and bad schools. Each with its own advantages and disadvantages over the other arts. Taekwondo's massive growth and popularity have just put it in the spotlight more than the other arts and made it a target for haters. I admit that I (5th Dan, Chang Hon TKD), don't like what the Olympic (WTF) syle has done to our art. Because of the WTF style, most people now think of TKD as a sport for kids and not as an effective self defense/fighting system. However, any TKD school, WTF or ITF, that properly teaches a core curriculum of basic techniques, fight principles and strategies, and real world self defense, will turn out excellent martial artists. Don't blame the deficiencies you see on the art, blame it on poor instruction from less than qualified teachers who have lost focus of what our art is about. There are still many of us out there who are consistently producing excellent martial artists.
FINE.

Show us.Give us examples of your offshoot of TKD that does something different.You have so far given us nothing but your word that your school or instructor is not like all the others.

You are right giving me the impression that we have to pry it out of you.

Mr. Jones
12/23/2006 9:49pm,
What about that TKD guy in Poland who kicked everybodies ass over there.

kikkoman
12/23/2006 10:55pm,
TKD!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbfLuSZbIxI)

kikkoman
12/23/2006 11:07pm,
Maybe not his punching style, but his kicks are most definatly TKD. Those are straight from the TKD curriculum.

feedback
12/23/2006 11:08pm,
**** off kikknoman