PDA

View Full Version : Agree or Disagree: One step self-defense is effective.

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

TKD Black Belt
12/22/2006 6:27pm,
I have a one word answer for that question:

FAG!

TKD

King Sleepless
12/22/2006 6:36pm,
*sigh*

If you only knew the joys of being the only male in a hotel room full of 8 beautiful young women who had no problems sleeping with you.

DAYoung
12/22/2006 6:36pm,
I was recently in a lift with a ballerina. She looked at me like I was a serial killer.

Which I'm not.

Er.

As you were.

CanucKyokushin
12/22/2006 6:43pm,
I have a few tied-up in my basement.Don't worry.I haven't heard a peep from them for a few days now .So I sleep well at night.

King Sleepless
12/22/2006 6:43pm,
I've also noticed that Ballerinas are very sheltered people on the broad and thus become horribly afraid of EVERYTHING. It's annoying sometimes.

DAYoung
12/22/2006 6:44pm,
Makes sense. 'Cause I'm not scary at all. I was even wearing a nice woolen Italian-made casual jacket.

PointyShinyBurn
12/22/2006 7:02pm,
On the original subject of this thread: I've done some of the old school BJJ one steps, including the shirt/lapel grab ones. They were much better than the equivalent ones from the 'JJJ' (bastardised Aikido/Judo/Karate) I studied. If someone grabs my lapels in sparring though, my new favourite response isn't a wristlock or standing armbar, it's a grip break followed by a fireman's carry. Guess which one's more likely to float to the surface in an actual fight?

About ballerinas: A housemate of mine last year was going out with a cute Japanese one, and she was giggly, sheltered and in absolutely terrifying shape. I tried to get her to show my what they do for flexibility, but it was all much, much too hardcore for me.

King Sleepless
12/22/2006 7:29pm,
Yes, my flexibility comes from Ballet and nothing else. Satori can attest to my inability to be submitted by ankle lock purely on the fact that I can point my feet past my 180*. I can actually put my leg up on something and have someone step on my foot and have it touch the ground.

MaartenSFS
12/22/2006 8:13pm,
Oke, first of all:

Where the hot chicks are depends on your region. Here in China it seems that the only people that do TKD are hot school girls... They have a fiery attitude that is just... sexy. Can they fight? Hell no. But when you take the training from the dojang to the bed, who really cares? The only self defense you need is against her if she's jealous of another girl.

Secondly and to a lesser extent:

During my Qinna training we did a lot of one steps. Whoah! Calm down there, buckaroo... It's not what you think..

We would start with basic one steps learning the technique. Then we would progress to changing which side the attack came from (randomly) and picking up the speed. Lastly, various unchoreographed techniques would be thrown, followed by spontaneous responses that included strikes and submissions or throws. That is basically sparring.

- Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker

DerAuslander
12/22/2006 8:33pm,
Chinese TKD chicks rock.

The second hottest TKD girl I was ever involved in was from Shaolin.

How cool is that?!?

Anna Kovacs
12/22/2006 8:48pm,
A lot cooler if you took out the TKD and chinese parts

Punisher
12/23/2006 3:02am,
Has one steps? GJJ has TKD one steps?

As in, my partner throws a lunge punch and I counter with a flying arm bar?

BJJ/GJJ generally has single techniques that you practice with a partner, eg: how do armbar.

However I have never been in a class where we spent the entire time working set responses to set attacks for the entire class without ever rolling.

In my BJJ self-defense class, taught by a Rickson Graice Black Belt, we did one-step type stuff almost exclusively.

Guy throws a haymaker, you block the punch, get the clinch, hip throw, and finish with an armbar. Stand up and repeat.

Sure we'd roll at the end of class, but it was just normal rolling without a gi. We didn't start on our feet and we didn't strike.

DerAuslander
12/23/2006 3:06am,
A lot cooler if you took out the TKD and chinese parts

We are gonna have such a good time.

MaartenSFS
12/23/2006 4:27am,
Chinese TKD chicks rock.

The second hottest TKD girl I was ever involved in was from Shaolin.

How cool is that?!?

Didn't you mean with, there? :icon_twis And yes, it's quite cool. The non-experienced (In this field) couldn't possibly visualise it.

- Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker

HonkyTonkMan
12/23/2006 6:42am,
Not effective. They teach you to thorw one combo and then stop and reset yourself for another.

Letum
12/23/2006 8:31am,
Yay, we're all admitting to doing Ballet now? Awesome.