PDA

View Full Version : Haksaeng

Bolverk
7/31/2003 2:28pm,
I spoke with my instructor on the subject of accepting a Black Belt from another Taekwondo organization. His answer was very informative.

Basically what he told me is this. First he would not ask you to start at White Belt, since you have already spent a great deal of time earning your Black Belt, and Taekwondo uses the same techniques from school to school, he would allow you to retain your rank. He would ofcourse contact Headquarters to let them know of the situation, and you would be required to learn all lower rank material before you could test for your next rank.

The interesting thing I got from our discussion though, was that he would allow a black belt from another style to wear their black belt during class, but not during testings. This would not apply to you because you have your Black Belt in Taekwondo. Again, this person would have to learn all of the lower rank materials.

I am not sure why the other instructor would not have followed a similar course. It would seem to be the logical choice, rather then taking away something you obviously earned with many, many hours of hard work.

Anyway, I just wanted to send a shout out to you to let you know that not all of the schools in the ATA are the same. It is unfortunate that you came across one that did not respect what you had earned, but I feel most ATA instructors would have.

Anyway sir, keep training hard.

Sincerely,

Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
Willing is not enough, we must do.

The tax laws are written by men with considerable net worth, and with little understanding of what wage-earners must do to make ends meet.

Miguksaram
7/31/2003 3:11pm,
It's a matter of money. He can't make any from you if you are already a black belt.

A front kick is a front kick rather you are ATA, ITF, WTF or TSD. The main difference is the philosophy and forms. I could understand if this was a kung fu school or a karate school and they ask you to start at white belt, but you are basically moving from one form of TKD to another. There really isn't that much difference between them.

Jeremy M. Talbott

Owner of Kungfools, Scourge of Kungfools' joke-based logic, and the Preeminent Force in putting dumbasses like him to bed
http://www.koreanma.homestead.com/index.html
http://www.martialscience.homestead.com/home.html

Phoenix
7/31/2003 3:15pm,
Yeah, it's money. I think it has alot to do with politics too.

"You can't cast aspersions on someone because they're wearing a cape. Superman wore a cape, and I'll be damned if I'll let you say something bad about him." - Jerry Seinfeld

Tong Po
7/31/2003 3:18pm,
Black belt smlack belt. ;-)

Bolverk
8/01/2003 11:16am,
It's a matter of money. He can't make any from you if you are already a black belt.

A front kick is a front kick rather you are ATA, ITF, WTF or TSD. The main difference is the philosophy and forms. I could understand if this was a kung fu school or a karate school and they ask you to start at white belt, but you are basically moving from one form of TKD to another. There really isn't that much difference between them.

Jeremy M. Talbott

That was exactly my instructors point sir. You are right on the money. The thing is, even someone from another style would be allowed to wear their black belt in class, just not testing. His philosophy is, "if they spent all of that time earning their black belt, they deserve to wear it and get the respect that comes with it."

I am very glad that I found this instructor. Even though he instructs Taekwondo, he has a back ground in Kenpo, so he emphasizes hands alot. We were talking about the local Olympic Taekwondo scholl, and he was stressing about how they train for power but neglect hands, and he does not want his students to have that disadvantge.

Also, he is not shy about giving people a no test during pre-test. His philosophy is that it is better to recieve a no test then it is to go out there and fail a testing. So far, no one has failed the testing because of his rigorous pre-tests. I would say a good 30% of the students received a no test this cycle.

We have a testing tonight. I am going for my next rank, which requires two rounds of testing sparring, multiple station board breaks, forms, self-defense, and possibly a specialty break. It is going to be a fun testing.

Sincerely,

The tax laws are written by men with considerable net worth, and with little understanding of what wage-earners must do to make ends meet.

PizDoff
8/01/2003 11:21am,
what rank now?

as long as you enjoy it......

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

Bolverk
8/01/2003 12:34pm,
I am currently a Recommended Brown Belt, testing for Decided Brown Belt. In our system, you start testing for Recommended and Decided Ranks at Purple Belt. However, if your technique is excellent, you can skip the decided rank at Purple and Blue only, but that has only happened to two students at Blue so far, but a few of us got to pass by Decided Purple.

I should get my Black Belt in a bit less then a year from know, after two and a half years of solid training. I have only missed one class, and I practice all the time. I strive to be the best I can possibly be, considering all of the injuries I have suffered in my life, I am doing well.

Sincerely,

Edited by - Bolverk on August 01 2003 12:35:18