PDA

View Full Version : Allow myself to introduce... myself.

kobudo
12/15/2006 8:21am,
Hi all,

Just wanted to say hi, and I'm glad I found this forum -- which I did quite by accident through fark.com (it seems there are a few bullshido members who spend time there too).

I became interested in martial arts through my father, who was a US Army drill sergeant before I was born. He taught me a fair amount of self defense, starting when I was about eight. I wrestled in junior high and high school, and fenced in college, where I was taught by two nationally ranked fencers. My preferred weapon for fencing competitions is the saber.

So, none of that really has much to do with martial arts per se (or at all), and a desire to take lessons and grow has been replaced with an interest in the history and philosophy behind different styles, particularly kodokan judo, okinawan kobudo, and iaijutsu. Lately I've been reading "Flashing Steel," by Masayuki Shimabukuro. The author does a great job describing hei jo shin, zanshin, and shingen as underlying philosophies of Eishin-Ryu swordsmanship.

I'm the type of person who loves to research and find out about things before I dive in, and this has only complicated my efforts at learning more -- there is far too much bullshit out there, and I'm glad I found a group of people who share that opinion and have decided to do something about it. I'm hoping to learn more here, maybe pipe up when I have something to add, and learn more about how to find a decent dojo. Preferably one with a decent judo instructor. I'd hate to wind up paying for lessons from a "McDojo," which I'm guessing is the same thing as a "black belt factory." The TKD dojos around here seem to be really bad about that.

Thanks, I look forward to my bullshido experience.

pauli
12/15/2006 9:46am,
welcome!

PirateJon
12/15/2006 11:45am,
Good intro line.

Finding a good club is all about leg work. Most don't advertise. Post a location so other can suggest schools they know about, check google, and a good place to check is with local colleges to see if they have clubs.

kobudo
12/15/2006 5:34pm,
Hey, thanks. I've been searching the forums to see if a club in my area has been reviewed. I'm in Evansville, Indiana. If anybody knows of a school they'd recommend, I'd be more than interested in checking them out!

kobudo
12/15/2006 5:37pm,
Sorry... double post. Is there a way I can actually delete this?

CanucKyokushin
12/15/2006 6:15pm,
Allow myself to introduce...

myself.

My name is Ritchie Cunningham and this is my wife Oprah.