PDA

View Full Version : Advertisement of MA schools/gyms

Tonuzaba
12/13/2006 2:16pm,
Greetings,
this thread is intended to discuss thoughts on the importance and quality of advertisement of different MA schools.
What are your experiences with it (especially if you're an instructor/gym owner)?
WHat are your favourite MA ads (not ones featuring UFC champions shaving themselves and such, but advertising the gym for new trainees)?
And so and forth.
I kind of like this one, for example, while I wouldn't consider attending the school itself:
Tonuzaba

Rock Ape
12/13/2006 2:36pm,
My club advertises once a year in the local paper and pretty much supports it's self by word of mouth or hits through the website(s)

If I were a professional instructor I would consider a wider advertising program but, I'm not so that's why my advertising is low key.

Ian Weatherall
12/13/2006 4:47pm,
Hi all,

First time visitor. Interested in what works. What does work, what is it that works, why does it work, but more appropriately, why are we doing the things we do.

30 years old BJJ 3 strp. Blue, consider myself purple (not an ego thing, read on) from general experience but never grounded in any one place to get grading..MMA Vale Tudo Vinder DK beginners, Bronze Nipon cup Jujitsu, Kean sub. wrstl. training in various for 6 years world wide, rolled/trained with: Karsten Etrup JJ BB World No.2, Thomas La Core, Chistian Gurgard afiliated with Strieght Blast Matt Thornton, Elvis Senosic, Antony Perosh in a great place in Sidney (or was it Brisbane) Some geat guys down under, highlights having rolled with Marcelo Garcia + co in Sau Paulo (they shoot good pool too so be prepared), tapped 12 students out in Brasilian Kung Fu academy (what the hell was this doing there?) Gracies in Athens, GR. LA USA, San Fran, etc. most fun had in Thailand Big C Leamg Chabang (can't spell for ****) including Panama, Equador, South Africa, Singapore, etc. It never rains, but it poors, sometimes training like a ****, sometimes getting fat on a motorbike in the USA or UK recovering from injuries as a consiquence of being manufactured from glass rather that flesh & bone. UK resident working tax free as comercial inspector on ships world wide. So wishing to find a training pertnes in Winchester area to learn & develop with potential of opening a gym that would ultimately sell the soul & have various other disciplines considered not worth a crap, but how else do you run a buisines?

Not much esle to say for the mo. Planning on getting a space next year in Winchester but who knows, maybe I'll be back sailing a while.....

All the best
Ian.

Tomas Drgon
12/13/2006 10:49pm,
My secret weapons are:
1. A website, http://baltimorejudo.mysite.com, yeah I know, not the most sophisticated, but does the job ...
2. google adds https://adwords.google.com
3. word of mouth

Tomas

TehDeadlyDimMak
12/13/2006 11:31pm,
Greetings,
this thread is intended to discuss thoughts on the importance and quality of advertisement of different MA schools.
What are your experiences with it (especially if you're an instructor/gym owner)?
WHat are your favourite MA ads (not ones featuring UFC champions shaving themselves and such, but advertising the gym for new trainees)?
And so and forth.
I kind of like this one, for example, while I wouldn't consider attending the school itself:
Tonuzaba

Hey! Wahlum! I used to train in that system!

Tonuzaba
12/14/2006 3:27am,
Hi all, First time visitor. Interested in what works....
Greetings Ian, welcome to Bullshido.
I am really honored (and surprised, I must admit), that you chose my thread for your first posting.
You must be probably be one of the first living proofs of a BJJ person not spitting poison at the sight of my style field's content (or did you fail to notice?) ;-)
Still, I suggest you check out the Newbietown section, that's where people usually introduce themselves. But after you listed your experiences, you wouldn't have to expect too much bashing outside Newbietown anyway...
So enjoy your stay and do check out the Throwdown threads too!
If you'll be around next summer, I'm planning to organize one in Bratislava, Slovakia, would be great if you could show up.
Tonuzaba

Tonuzaba
12/14/2006 3:28am,
Hey! Wahlum! I used to train in that system!
Hey, you can't be that cruel! Say some more!!!
Please...
Tonuzaba

Ian Weatherall
12/14/2006 4:46am,
Thanks for the welcome. I'll take a look at the newbietown section. But before I'm off, I think the angle on things can only be discussed from an informative perspective, ie. experience in any given system is necessary before commenting. An obvious truth perhaps:) Although, no less important, ignoring some of the better qualities of any given system is foolish when putting it to the test in an 'alive' context, against resistance....
All the best
Ian.

Asriel
12/14/2006 5:08am,
In almost all of the MA Schools I've attended in the last 10 years, everyone that turned up was either a friend of someone who trained there or had seen the School in either the Yellow Page or found them online.

Tonuzaba
12/14/2006 7:41am,
In almost all of the MA Schools I've attended in the last 10 years, everyone that turned up was either a friend of someone who trained there or had seen the School in either the Yellow Page or found them online.
"Back then" in Hungary, we usually glued posters around town, and handed out leaflets. Some of us got small ads in local newspapers, radio or local TV.
Of course most people come because friends told them, and it is the best advertisement any school can get, but you need to reach out too.
I think most MA schools would have a great use of quality advertisement, but I guess money is a problem, since most gyms are not exactly a gold mine for the serious instructor...
Tonuzaba

Asriel
12/14/2006 7:49am,
One school I went to gave out flyers in the town centre but the amount of interest that was generated wasn't worth the cost and man hours.

DDale
12/14/2006 11:58am,
Our school survies via word of mouth, leaflets at the leisure centres we train at and active members on http://www.cagewarriors.com/ forums.