PDA

View Full Version : New Guy with questions

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

jt1969
12/12/2006 3:58pm,
New guy here looking to learn practical defense that will condition me and be a skillset that will carry me through even when older. I am 38, 5'7 155 lbs in bad shape cardiowise, high cholesterol and a pot belly, rest of me is bones.

I have got opinions from various sources and of course they are bias so I heard about this site and figured I would ask for advice.

My choices locally are:

*Wing Chun (cheung lineage, keith mazza)
*jkd (gary dill lineage)
*boxing/kickboxing/mma school that use to be tkd.
*Hung Gar school
*jook lum south praying mantis (lou jack man)
bagua/xing yi school

Again looking for conditioning and practical and something I dont have to rely on power as I am not the biggest guy.

Also I rounded these places down due to the fact they say they all train "alive" as I have been told elsewhere to be concerned with, whether or not they all do or just trying to get my $$ I dont know.

Thanks in advance.

pauli
12/12/2006 4:01pm,
welcome to bullshido!

out of that list, the boxing/mma place is the only one i'd even look at. however, i'm sure there are more options around you. where are you, anyway?

MacWombat
12/12/2006 4:05pm,
Welcome to Bullshido. Do tell us where you're from. There may be more options available to you than you know.

jt1969
12/12/2006 4:05pm,
I am in South Jersey....not far from philly though

MacWombat
12/12/2006 4:06pm,
How far from philly, 30 minutes to Center City?

jt1969
12/12/2006 4:08pm,
yea...maybe 40 minutes.

Tribalweapon
12/12/2006 4:08pm,
The boxing/kickboxing/mma school would be your best bet normally but being as it used to be tkd I would check it out first before I signed anything. Aside from that JKD would be your best option if it is a good school (I don't know anything about Gary Dill) The other schools may be good but the chance of finding a good CMA school is slim. The chance of finding a good Wing Chun school is almost nonexistant. (I say almost because there may be one out there that hasn't been found yet)

jt1969
12/12/2006 4:10pm,
theres also krav maga at a college, but I hear alot of bad things about krav.

MacWombat
12/12/2006 4:11pm,
If you are willing to make the commute on a regular basis there are plenty of good schools in Philly. I've heard good things about Philly MMA. Maxercise has a great BJJ and Judo program. I train at Balance Studios (BJJ), which is awesome. Balance may even have an affiliate in South Jersey. I'll try to find some info.

R_jkd
12/12/2006 4:13pm,
welcome,

you want "practical"? MMA or JKD (however be careful with the JKD schools as some of them are all about the focus mitts and it pretty much ends there). I believe Gary Dill learned from Ted Wong, so what you're getting may not be crap, just be careful and make sure that they train with resisting partners, etc. Wing Chun is a very old subject of debate here at bullshido, I suggest you read the threads as well as check out the school for yourself. Ultimately, it's where you're happiest at that will count the most (intrinsically) for you.

It is Fake
12/12/2006 4:15pm,
Do you have website's or names of the schools?

It is easier to make a true assessment this way.

Although, after you see your doctor MMA/BJJ/Boxing is going to be your best bet.

jt1969
12/12/2006 4:17pm,
there also is a krav maga class near me too ...

dunno.

See heres why I have confusion , the mma.jujitsui type of crowd tells me they are most real and that you will fight how you train and you must go through the mental aspect of conflict over and over to prepare for the real deal.....then..., the kung fu guys tells me you cant rely on power being small so to box or wrestle someone bigger than you is worthless thats why there is weight classes and train to spar for sport is not like for the street...then talk about when you get old. so their view is to use the opponents force...?their theory on a real confrontation is "calmness"

then a style likes krav says both are wrong.

frustrating...

jt1969
12/12/2006 4:20pm,
the mma school is

http://njblackbeltacademy.com

wing chun

www.traditionalwingchun.com

jkd

ww.southjerseyjkd.com

alex
12/12/2006 4:23pm,
there also is a krav maga class near me too ...

dunno.

See heres why I have confusion , the mma.jujitsui type of crowd tells me they are most real and that you will fight how you train and you must go through the mental aspect of conflict over and over to prepare for the real deal.....then..., the kung fu guys tells me you cant rely on power being small so to box or wrestle someone bigger than you is worthless thats why there is weight classes and train to spar for sport is not like for the street...then talk about when you get old. so their view is to use the opponents force...?their theory on a real confrontation is "calmness"

then a style likes krav says both are wrong.

frustrating...

no matter what anyone tells you, a bigger stronger person has an inherent advantage in a fight. the whole point of training is to nullify the advantage that might give them by outweighing it with skill. this is why boxing has weight divisions- two guys of equal skill, and one of them is much bigger, the bigger guy is gonna win 9/10 times.

anyone who says grappling is only for big strong people is an idiot, plain and simple. remember that the majority of people in the martial arts comunity are either in la la land or plain thick.

MacWombat
12/12/2006 4:26pm,
http://hassettskarate.com/index.html is an affialate of my school if you are interested in BJJ. I haven't been there, but we recently had an interschool belt promotion and his guys were good and really great guys. I have no idea what Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan or how good it is. But I would recommend the BJJ if you are interested in it.

jt1969
12/12/2006 4:26pm,
yea just found the phillymma one, they have classes in jersey too looks like muay thai and bjj.

phillymma.com