PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Letum
12/10/2006 7:23am,
How detrimental would you say having long hair is for grappling? BJJ in particular?

PointyShinyBurn
12/10/2006 7:51am,
It's a fucking pain, it gets stepped on all the time. I had the girlfriend hack away at my customary indie-kid curtains about 2 months after I started BJJ, and I haven't gone back since.

Letum
12/10/2006 7:58am,
Daaamn eet. I'm going to have tp start BJJ soon, my hair is rather long :(

Iscariot
12/10/2006 8:10am,
I had the same thoughts, my hair goes down between my shoulder blades. PoopLoops wears a hair net while grappling, and Kat and Ashy recommend something called a 'French Plait' if memory serves.

Beatdown Richie
12/10/2006 9:13am,
A combination of plaiting, Ouchless hairbands and wrestling headgear should take care of most problems that come with long hair. Other than that - get used to having people step on it and to pissing people off because they get your hair in their mouth. That's their problem, though.

Nid
12/10/2006 9:41am,
Training partner perspective:

Yeah it is our problem. It's fucking disgusting.

RunningDog
12/10/2006 9:46am,
Did randori with a chick with pigtails recently. I kept grabbing them along with her collar, heh.

Nid
12/10/2006 9:50am,
^That's hot.

RunningDog
12/10/2006 9:56am,
^That's hot.

Yeah I didn't mind it too much. She was a national Judo champion too, so she 'dominated' me nonetheless, hurr hurr hurr

eviechu
12/10/2006 12:50pm,
yeah you put your hair up or put it in a braid or something. I myself cut my hair short cause I am incredibly lame at managing long hair. I am thinking about growing it out again, only with short bangs. or something...

Red Elvis
12/10/2006 12:51pm,
Training partner perspective:

Yeah it is our problem. It's fucking disgusting.

Word!

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
12/10/2006 1:11pm,
I highly recommend chopping your mop off.

Torakaka
12/10/2006 1:51pm,
long hair looks stupid on anyone who is a.) not female, or b.) not Adrian Paul.

edit: and yes, it's a major pain in the ass.

Iscariot
12/10/2006 1:54pm,
long hair looks stupid on anyone who is a.) not female, or b.) not Adrian Paul.

Are you saying that both myself and Steven Seagal look stupid?

*cries*

Letum
12/10/2006 1:59pm,
Not really, long hair suits me, so there.

Anna Kovacs
12/10/2006 2:00pm,
It sucks ass. Especially some jerks who do "knee on hair" on purpose. Plus other assorted pulls on yankings that just happen

I also find that I get my head stuck in positions it probably otherwise wouldnt get stuck, it makes it really hard to "pop" your head out of headlocks and guillotines and the like.

I frequently have to stop and tie the **** back and then keep going.

If you're a guy then do the right thing and get a hair cut.

if you're to much of a girly man to get a hair cut then here's what i recommend, from most to least effective, generally the more effective something is the more of a pain in the ass it is. Some of these might require longer hair then you guys have or need to be modified. my hair is down to my butt so keep that in mind.

French braiding controls a lot of the hair and tends to stay pretty solid. it's up to you to decide what to do with the braid('s) down the back. I'd probably just do a fold-under and secure. French braiding works even better if you do two of them.

The down side is you'll look totally gay and french braiding is hard. I can't do it but if you have a girlfriend that can, then by all means.

Second is to braid your hair into about six small dreadlock lookin braids. I then braid three of them together on each side and then pull them back securely, often times twisting them. Then fold under, secure, and fold under, secure (works for really long hair, shorter "long hair" wont require two fold unders)

Somewhat faster is one big braid, fold under, secure.

Lastly and ineffective for anything beyond half a roll, but still what i tend to dewfault to because it's quick and i'm lazy is simply doing the fold under and using several tight hair ties to make sure it stays up for at least a while.

The plus side is that it's quickly put back up...for the most mart. So it's ok for between roll adjustments.

Rasslin Headgear would probably be a big plus addition to keeping things controlled.