PDA

View Full Version : Mastering the Rubber Guard: A Review

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Boyd
12/09/2006 9:53pm,
Above all, I would like to thank the sacred plant cannabis sativa. Without this ancient medicine entering my life at twenty-eight years of age, I would not be writing this book, there would be no rubber guard, and I would certainly not be creating the music I'm currently producing.

I'd been working at a strip club for five years and had dated quite a few of the dancers. I went from one girl to another, just as I had been doing since the age of thirteen. Some girls lasted longer than others, but ninety-nine percent of my relationships went the same way: lust then infatuation, love then suffocation. I always wound up feeling trapped, confined, and burned out after a few months of bliss, but I couldn't put my finger on why I kept going through the same alcoholic routine of getting drunk with love then feeling miserable later.

I felt like I needed a psychiatrist the first time I laid eyes on that big juicy ass.

When I couldn't stand being without her any longer, I called her up. I asked her to leave work and meet me at the club. I said I was blowing the **** up on E and all I could think about was kissing and squeezing and dancing and fucking the **** out of her,

Yeah, that was Eddie, a pathetic, lost soul who disguised all his fragile emotions by creating dark and evil music.

All of a sudden I understood stand-up comedy.

I did wind up writing and ghetto-producing one sketch about this white guy named Quatoof who wanted to be a thugged-out black guy so bad he wore heavy, dark makeup and afroed out his hair.

if you myspace me at www.myspace.com/thetwister, I'll send you a demo. We even have a song called "put ur weed up".

Her ***** and body and sexuality had me under a spell. I called her Voodoo....I learned my lesson after that one, and I haven't had a girlfriend since. That was August of 2000. Six fucking years! Whoa!

Why is everyone on the planet all about having a voluntary parole officer living with them? In a ganja filled state, I came to the conclusion that jealousy and possessiveness were nothing more than ancient DNA programs--programs designed by mother nature when the future of the human race was uncertain.

You can even Google it.

"We have all been bamboozled!" I thought to myself.

And what really tripped me out was when I found out it's actually a LUNG CLEANER AND EXPECTORANT! ****!

What about TV celebrity Joe Rogan?

Before weed, (Joe Rogan) was the master of relationship jokes and sexual humor. But now he has evolved into something special. Today he's like some sort of new age philosopher that just so happens to make you laugh harder than any comedian who's ever lived, and I'm not just saying that because he's my best friend. He's actually unbelievably amazing, as a comedian and especially as a philosopher. I've toured the country with him quite a few times, and everybody on the comedy circuit knows Joe Rogan is the next big comic icon. They all know it--Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Andrew Dice Clay, all of them. They know.

Take a bath and get a job, you fucking hippie.

10/10

Boyd
12/10/2006 4:38pm,
Yuppers.

sasquatch989
12/10/2006 6:14pm,
Wow, Eddie Bravo is a fucking tard. I like his rubber guard, I think it is a major mark of progress for grappling, but it is unfortunate that it came from a tool like him.

Cassius
12/10/2006 6:18pm,
Yuppers.You really should clone yourself. Being so awesome is a lot of hard work for one man.

Roidie McDouchebag
12/10/2006 6:41pm,
I give this thread a 10/10.

SuperGuido
12/10/2006 7:14pm,
Eddie Bravo needs a talk show.

Samfoo
12/10/2006 8:07pm,
Eddie Bravo needs a talk show.

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.victorybelt.com/radio/sound-1.htm

Blue Negation
12/10/2006 8:19pm,
I looked it over today, and it seemed very well done, a huge improvement over Jiu-jitsu Unleashed. But then he started talking about that gay grappling ****.

Boyd
12/10/2006 11:26pm,
Just so there's absolutely no confusion, I want to point out to everyone here that Eddie Bravo cited writing a sketch comedy piece in blackface as an example of how hilarious and creative marijuana makes you.

Boyd
12/10/2006 11:28pm,
And by the way:

Sheeeeet, of muthafuckin' course I'm Royler's number one dog, you betta axe somebody!

supercrap
12/11/2006 3:05am,
I like it when popular people get picked on.

SimonBelmont
12/11/2006 6:32pm,
This is probably one of the best books I own on no gi grappling.

I really like the flowchart at the beginning of the book. It summarizes the basic flow of Eddie's approach to no gi grappling. Each box in the flow chart is clearly linked to a specific section in the book. Their is a section for each position covered in the book. Each section introduces the grappling position that it will address then goes on to explain the strategy to work while in that position and finally it breaks down the various techniques in detail. The pictures are excellent and they are taken from multiple angles where needed.

There are some things in the book that I'm not particularly crazy about. For one thing alot of the names used for the techniques make no practical sense. They mostly stem from what seem to inside jokes. There is a part in the book where Eddie talks about giving wierd unrecognizable names to techniques so that you can shout them out to teammates and students in competition and the opposition is none the wiser. I don't really buy it but oh well.

I completely skipped the forward and Intro when I first openend the book. In fact it wasn't till about a week later that I started reading it and it both confused and amused the hell out of me at the same time. Eddie Bravo basically goes into what I can only describe as a sort of stoner narration of his life his views on cannabis and a number of interesting unrelated topics. I have no idea why he decided that all that info belongs in a book on no-gi grappling but its good entertainment so what the heck.

One thing Eddie makes clear in the book is that he has some very strong opinions about grappling while under the influence of cannabis. Apparently he swears by training stoned and believes it to be the greatest thing since slice bread. I don't know how to feel about that. I mean I'm not going to judge the guy. I mean if it works for him then great I have no business judging a guy who made a Gracie tap. On the other hand I feel like that particular discussion belongs in a different book.

Not an issue for me but it could be a problem for parents who find out their kids are justifying their drug habits based on some BJJ book they bought. It's true that in the book Eddie specifically mentions cannabis not being for everyone but somehow I feel like that's not going to persuade those who shouldn't be toking up.

One final thing: The book is not just about the rubber guard it has some very good basics in it too. I'm not a fan of entirety of Bravo approach to no gi but I do like the defensive technique he covers in the book. I saw the round he went against Leo Viera on YouTube and while it seemed like most comments from others were about how he got "lucky" against Royler and how he's over hyped and this and that I personally was in sheer awe of how he survived the entire round without tapping. Anyone that can resist an onslaught like that for that long deserves props in my opinion.

Boyd
12/12/2006 1:48am,
Not an issue for me but it could be a problem for instructors who find out their white belts are justifying their shameless gimmickry based on some BJJ book they bought. It's true that in the book Eddie specifically mentions the Lockdown not being for everyone but somehow I feel like that's not going to persuade those who are OldDog.

Shuma-Gorath
12/12/2006 2:37am,
This is probably one of the best books I own on no gi grappling.

Style: Hapkido/Judo/DanzanRyuJJ
:confused:

Roidie McDouchebag
12/12/2006 3:20am,
One thing Eddie makes clear in the book is that he has some very strong opinions about grappling while under the influence of cannabis. Apparently he swears by training stoned and believes it to be the greatest thing since slice bread.

He's right.

SimonBelmont
12/12/2006 1:14pm,
:confused:

Actually I also train in BJJ at a Gracie school. FYI the other styles I trained in before BJJ gave me a good head start. The Judo and the Danzan Ryu helped give me a solid foundation. Almost everyone at my BJJ school asked if I trained somewhere else the first time I rolled with them.

But instead of ragging on my style field why don't you contribute something useful to the discussion.

Have you read the book? Have you tried the rubber guard? Does it work for you? If you think the techniques are **** please expand. If you have some useful information to share then why don't you enlighten us.

I'm all ears.