PDA

View Full Version : How do you defend against a REAL kungfu/wing practitioner?

Pages : [1] 2 3

marveln'
12/09/2006 5:22pm,
Friend advocates -ing -un religiously. What are the best counter arguments to it?

ETA: Mastering the fine art of teh search buttonfu.

MacWombat
12/09/2006 5:28pm,
Do a few months of one of your AIMS and kick his ass. Keep doing it till he has to do the real WC and then kick his ass harder. Poop on his face if you want to put an exclamation point.

ViciousFlamingo
12/09/2006 5:31pm,
tl;dr. But if you're interested in defending against a wing chun practitioner (and by this, I mean someone who has the REAL wing chun), it's simple. Just follow these simple steps:

1. Sign off the internet.

Got it? Good.

MacWombat
12/09/2006 5:32pm,
Good overall comment on WC, but lost because the guy he was talking about was bashing the internet anyway.

marveln'
12/09/2006 5:34pm,
Good advice, signing off. It's just that dealing with this type of self-delusion is frustrating. The guy's like 6'3 too...I don't think I'll be teaching him any lessons REAL wing-fu or not.

MacWombat
12/09/2006 5:37pm,
Throw change at his face and then say Ninjitsu owns your Wing Chun. Then run away.

Cullion
12/09/2006 5:42pm,
troll.

ViciousFlamingo
12/09/2006 5:45pm,
Good advice, signing off. It's just that dealing with this type of self-delusion is frustrating. The guy's like 6'3 too...I don't think I'll be teaching him any lessons REAL wing-fu or not.

Hey Marveln', I just got done reading your post. I'm sorry to say, don't get too worked up about it. I did WC for a while too, and good lord do they throw some stupid **** around. The most I can say is, it might be easiest to just not talk about it, or if he's your good friend and you actually want him to not waste his time, just tell him he's wrong straight out. It'll make him go crazy, but maybe he'll start thinking. Oh, and don't argue with him about theory. WC has some of the best theories in the world when it comes to martial arts, the problem is, they're never applied in the art. Leverage, constant pressure, fluid motion....these things are present in all the best arts, but WC only talks about them while good arts demonstrate and practice them every day.

Honestly, there's very little replacement in such a debate for a good ass-kicking. I opened my eyes when I got my ass kicked by a kickboxer, and I never looked back after that.

*shrug*, I'd say don't worry about it too much, you're never going to convince your friend in one swoop, you've gotta open his eyes to the light slowly, a la allegory of the cave. It's a painful process, so give it time. In the meantime, train, dammit. You've got yourself to worry about first. :P

matrixninja
12/09/2006 5:46pm,
Throw change at his face and then say Ninjitsu owns your Wing Chun. Then run away.

I must say this made me laugh hard.

MacWombat
12/09/2006 5:50pm,
You would have laughed harder if you read this thread at MAP http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48513&page=37&pp=15 Banpen Fugyo's post. Good luck if you try to read it.

TKD Black Belt
12/09/2006 5:50pm,
How do you beat a Wing Chun fighter?

I usually just point and laugh.

TKD

PS - Troll, seconded

marveln'
12/09/2006 6:09pm,
Hey, ViciousFlamingo, thanks for your responding and entertaining advice. Next time, I should just shutup and keep this to myself. Are WC theories actually applicable in self-defense, CAN fighters actually use them, would it make a big difference? Or is it that, it's theories are compatible with the "feel" and "intuition" of say, wrestling or grappling. This is the first time on teh internets that I've been called a troll. My bad for posting a trollish topic. Won't happen again. I really wanna learn self-defense.

ViciousFlamingo
12/09/2006 6:12pm,
Hey, ViciousFlamingo, thanks for your responding and entertaining advice. Next time, I should just shutup and keep this to myself. Are WC theories actually applicable in self-defense, CAN fighters actually use them, would it make a big difference? Or is it that, it's theories are compatible with the "feel" and "intuition" of say, wrestling or grappling. This is the first time on teh internets that I've been called a troll. My bad for posting a trollish topic. Won't happen again. I really wanna learn self-defense.

WC theories are great, for the most part. WC tactics and techniques, i.e. the applications of these theories, are for the most part completely bullshit.

Oh, and worry less about all this and go train. Join the BJJihad.

It is Fake
12/09/2006 6:17pm,
Hey, ViciousFlamingo, thanks for your responding and entertaining advice. Next time, I should just shutup and keep this to myself. Are WC theories actually applicable in self-defense, CAN fighters actually use them, would it make a big difference? Or is it that, it's theories are compatible with the "feel" and "intuition" of say, wrestling or grappling. This is the first time on teh internets that I've been called a troll. My bad for posting a trollish topic. Won't happen again. I really wanna learn self-defense.We have much trolling going on lately. After the Thanksgiving holiday and with Christmas break coming up, our radars are a little touchy.

Anyway, WC theories are used every day in arts like Boxing, MT, Judo and BJJ.

Occasionally, in other words .0000000000000000000001% of the time, a kung fu, or WC school does the same thing.

Funny thing is they look just like Boxing, MT, or Judo.

Yes, BJJ isn't in Kung fu. Before someone says shuai Jiao, it is closer to judo.

ViciousFlamingo
12/09/2006 6:19pm,
Yes, BJJ isn't in Kung fu. Before someone says shuai Jiao, it is closer to judo.

Really? I don't know much about it, but I thought it always looked like sloppy Greco. Never saw them hitting throws because I didn't see them getting clothing-grips.

It is Fake
12/09/2006 6:25pm,
Really? I don't know much about it, but I thought it always looked like sloppy Greco. Never saw them hitting throws because I didn't see them getting clothing-grips.
Okay, I should say good shuai Jiao. Good vids of shuai Jiao are very close to Judo. Not exact but, the first time I saw a good vid I was thinking, Why the hell are these judo guys wearing silk pajamas?