PDA

View Full Version : Bullshido Newbie

Scorpion08
12/08/2006 8:39pm,
Greetings,

I'm actually not unfamiliar with Bullshido. A couple of years ago I came across the website. I can't remember what I had been searching for but Bullshido.net left an impression. What made me finally decide to register was the notice that November was Taekwondo sucks month, or something to that effect. (I tried clicking on the link but had to register to see it. )
Just a little background on myself- I took my first martial arts class when I was about 15. It was called, 'Shinto-Kan' Karate (please excuse the spelling). I took about three classes that covered introductory grappling and then I had to quit. Then, sophomore year of college, I joined the Taekwondo club on campus. Loved it, but I had no car and walking across campus at night in the cold was no fun. I did test to the second belt level (yellow) though. After moving to Texas a couple of years later, and playing at sword fighting with the SCA for a few months, I joined a martial arts academy and I've been training since. (Frankly, I'm hooked!) I am currently a 2nd degree Black Belt in Taekwondo. (I did notice in the rules that Tae Kwon Do bashing is acceptable......hopefully I won't get beaten up too badly:new_llyin) I now live in Massachusetts. I'm away from my dojang for now but I still love to train hard. Also, Taekwondo is my core martial art but I've been looking into (though not as instensely, I confess) Jeet Kune Do, Kung Fu, and Wing Chun the last couple of months. (And Tony Jaa's movies are starting to make me want to take up Muay Thai). Frankly, I love all things martial arts and I look forward to interacting with the Bullshido community.

Sam Browning
12/08/2006 8:46pm,
Welcome, it is of course okay to do TKD for the chicks.

ViciousFlamingo
12/08/2006 8:52pm,

But most forms of JKD, WC, and KF will do absolutely jack ****, including for picking up chicks. If you want effective, try MT or boxing or kickboxing. If you want chicks, stick with TKD or try capoeira.

Oh, welcome to Bullshido.

Axelton
12/08/2006 9:02pm,
weeeellcoooomme

Scorpion08
12/08/2006 9:23pm,
........ I am a "chick"..... :glasses12... and, I like to train in full contact Taekwondo. Sparring is by far my favorite aspect of the martial arts. :ninja2:

MacWombat
12/08/2006 9:37pm,
I like to train in full contact Taekwondo. Sparring is by far my favorite aspect of the martial arts. :ninja2:

So you were looking into Kung Fu and WC why? Welcome to Bullshido.

ViciousFlamingo
12/08/2006 9:39pm,
So you were looking into Kung Fu and WC why? Welcome to Bullshido.

Maybe the OP is also into S&M?

TKD Black Belt
12/09/2006 1:47am,

...and its okay to do TKD chicks. (please finish your sentences Sam, people will begin to wonder)

........ I am a "chick"..... ...

- Hi there! I'm TKD BB. How you doin'?

and, I like to train in full contact Taekwondo

- Oxymoron, imo.

Sparring is by far my favorite aspect of the martial arts

- We could call it 'sparring' if that will help....

TKD

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.
Don't feed the trolls.
Don't trust the Doctor.
Don't piss of Omega.
Um, that's about it for now.

Red Elvis
12/09/2006 2:11am,
........ I am a "chick".....
- Hi there! I'm TKD BB. How you doin'?.

Don't trust theves yankee pigdogs my lovely devotchka! They will lure you like penguin into sushi bar for brekfest meal. Bah!

But me... I a wery happy to making you aquantence. My name ist Ru Klas and I am Russian bear of a man and good at making igloo to keep girls warm who fight with your style. You just letting me know when you need to sparring and we fight like polar brears on top of a navel submarine!

Here is pikture of me and my kastle. Welcoming you to Bullshido!

ps.. for a treat play song in my signature for heppy christmas time!

DevonHartigan
12/09/2006 3:39pm,
Yeah hallo scorpion, because you are a "chick" I will give you this heads-up gently.

Word of advice; On this forum, Wing Chun and TKD is the two most absolutely buzz words you can use. You actually loose respect every time you use them(unless you are dishing them of course). I have actually lost respect from my peers, just for using them now. Furthermore, it is well done that you have obtained a 2nd degree blackbelt, but one of the many reasons why TKD hardly gets any respect on this forum, is because even a 10-year old kid, can get a blackbelt in a short period of time. Hence belt degrees in TKD doesn't count for much in here.
The MA's that are held in the highest regards on this site are any type of grappling(especially BJJ), MMA, most striking arts; boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, and a couple of others as Judoo and so on. And I know I have forgotten a handfull or so.

This advice came from an EX-TKD practitioner.

Rock Ape
12/09/2006 3:42pm,
Welcome to Bullshido...:icon_thum

Scorpion08
12/09/2006 7:11pm,
This will probably get me ridiculed but I am interested in Kung Fu because I've always liked the forms/patterns. I like Wing Chun's more flowing hand and countering techniques. I know very little about either, just what few videos I've seen. And yes, I intend to learn more.

Thanks for the heads up but I am well aware of the reputation TKD has and the fact that a black belt can be earned by children ages 3 and up or indeed anyone in a relatively short period of time....although time in training and the color of the belt you wear (or no belt) are not indications of proficiency, training quality, nor the effectiveness of a fighting style. (Frankly, a lot of what's out there, especially TKD-wise, is embarassing. Unfortunately, the flashy frantic acrobatic displays of 'TKD' are what's getting all of the attention and that's what people seem to like to watch.) The fact that this is probably more often the case should reflect very poorly on the way some people are teaching/promoting TKD and people's expectations of what constitutes a martial/combat/fighting art but I don't feel that it should reflect on TKD itself. Blasphemous, I'm sure, but I stand by TKD even if it is often ill-represented and therefore mocked, disrespected, and spat on . :icon_wink Take care!

pauli
12/09/2006 7:29pm,
This will probably get me ridiculed but I am interested in Kung Fu because I've always liked the forms/patterns.actually, that won't get you ridiculed (at least not by the members worth paying attention to). forms for the sake of forms is acceptable - it's not what most people here are into, but as long as you're not masquerading it as something else (ie, meaningful fight training), people won't run you out of town. it's a lot like cars - it's cool to make cars go fast, and it's cool to make cars look good, but it's not cool to just make cars look fast.

It is Fake
12/09/2006 7:43pm,
it's cool to make cars go fast, and it's cool to make cars look good, but it's not cool to just make cars look fast.Isn't this just to true for many TMAs.