PDA

View Full Version : Hello world.

marveln'
12/07/2006 2:33pm,
Hi there, I'm new. I like ice cream with cookie dough in it and tv with clever writing or fart jokes in it. My phobias include: spiders, choking and ground fighting. Right now, I'm not very much of anything really. I'm trying to develop a semi-aesthetically pleasing lean physique right now, I'll probably take 12-18 months to achieve my goal, but I plan on switching to strength training and studying a few martial art styles once I reach my goal. As far as my fighting goal is concerned, I'd like to be able to defend myself and my loved ones when necessary, perhaps using a knife when it calls for it. Oh and I'm not really new, I'm delurking. I'd like to learn Judo, boxing and possibly some BJJ and Muay Thai (maybe takes too long) for street defense.:occasion1

BackFistMonkey
12/07/2006 2:39pm,
Hi there, I'm new. Right now, I'm not very much of anything really. I'm trying to develop a semi-aesthetically pleasing lean physique right now, I'll probably take 12-18 months to achieve my goal, but I plan on switching to strength training and studying a few martial art styles once I reach my goal. As far as my fighting goal is concerned, I'd like to be able to defend myself and my loved ones when necessary, perhaps using a knife when it calls for it. Oh and I'm not really new, I'm delurking.

You should go ahead and jump to a MA instead of waiting to meet goal X first . Sounds like you would be happy with judo or maybe some FMA and/or BJJ . Any hard sparring art with aliveness will help you reach your weight loss goal and allow you to adjust to your body as it changes . Instead of learning your new limits suddenly .

I'd like to learn Judo, boxing and possibly some BJJ and Muay Thai (maybe takes too long) for street defense.:occasion1

What the **** are you talking about ?

RunningDog
12/07/2006 2:45pm,
Some fat dudes do just fine in Martial arts. If they stay fat. They're more likely to get lean, due to the EXERCISE involved. So start tomorrow, stop wasting your life.
And stop eating donuts.

Welcome to Bullshido!

pauli
12/07/2006 2:49pm,
welcome to bullshido! more training, less ice cream. that's how i keep my girlish figure.

BackFistMonkey
12/07/2006 2:50pm,
Oh yeah ... Welcome to Bullshido .

Here have a ummm .... * shuffles around *

Have some penguins

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/535/Animated_Penguins.gif

marveln'
12/07/2006 3:27pm,
What's up. I'm not fat, quite the opposite. Well, at least when I started. I really had no muscles at all, at 5'8 around 155 pounds, 3-4 months later I've grown to 170 pounds. I think my bodyfat % is 12-15%.

To BFM: I haven't been on the bullshido forums for a while. Last time I was on I searched for the best styles for self-defense, this is why I chose judo, boxing and bjj. Here's the quote itself:

"In my opinion, Judo or JJ has negelible difference in results you want from training. It's diminishing return in my opinion for what you want unless you plan to put in 5+ hours a week and train. In that case, you will see pretty clear difference."

****. I'm pretty sure he said something about Muay Thai before that. Saying that it took longer and more training in muay thai to have the same result in or surpass the results of training in judo for less amounts of time. Wasn't it posted somewhere here a while ago about some guy going to a Muay Thai dojo to compare his style's and finding that only the intermediate fighter's with 6+ years gave him trouble? This could be my lack of sleep talking.

I really should start sooner than later. Maybe in a few months. 6 tops, I promise. But I'm planning on moving to NY so things'll be crazy and I'll have to search for new gyms/dojos.

RunningDog
12/07/2006 3:29pm,
No, stop whining and start now.

pauli
12/07/2006 3:34pm,
there is training, and there is excuse making.

hmm, i should probably include another "welcome to bullshido!" so it sounds nicer.

Axelton
12/07/2006 3:34pm,
best way to get your lean physique is to do a MA.

triggrhaapi
12/07/2006 3:56pm,
It's been working for me, I'm sort of a fat guy, but it comes off real fast when you spend alot of time working hard.

marveln'
12/08/2006 1:16am,
I like the atitude here, very sobering. I guess I can shape up just as well with strength training and martial arts. I'm pretty sure I'll be doing much of the same exercises except with heavier weights, lower reps and different lifting styles. But my weights aren't much right now, I train from home, I mainly use dumbells--only 40lb each, need to buy heavier ones--, my chinup bar and weighted bench dips. But where do I begin? Should I buy an olympic weight set? Stick with dumbells when it comes to benchpressing? Start searching for a judo dojo and boxing trainer?

Also, what style/technique is best to knock someone one out in one punch or a flurry of punches?

MacWombat
12/08/2006 1:22am,
I like the atitude here, very sobering. I guess I can shape up just as well with strength training and martial arts. I'm pretty sure I'll be doing much of the same exercises except with heavier weights, lower reps and different lifting styles. But my weights aren't much right now, I train from home, I mainly use dumbells--only 40lb each, need to buy heavier ones--, my chinup bar and weighted bench dips. But where do I begin? Should I buy an olympic weight set? Stick with dumbells when it comes to benchpressing?

I can't really give advice on any of this, but...

Start searching for a judo dojo and boxing trainer?

For Wombat's sake yes! I'm 19 and I sarted BJJ 5 months ago right before my birthday. That's fairly young compared to a lot of people here (at least who started training in an effective MA) and even I still wish I started earlier, like 14 or so. So start as soon as possible. To be honest, (at least in BJJ) I think it would be better to start out while you are weaker, so you learn to rely on technique over pure strength early on. Then when the muscles come = big boost.

Good luck.

I just saw your edit: knocking some one out with punches? Boxing, duh.