PDA

View Full Version : New to Bullshido

Pages : [1] 2

Jianshiyu
12/06/2006 2:08pm,
Hello everyone,
I thought I'd get rid of that no post message. Anyways, my name is Michael, I've been doing shito-ryu itosu-kai for 13 years now. In the past 3 years I have gone to a few shotokan dojos because I have been away from home for university and there are no shito-ryu style dojos where I am. I do manage to go to my old dojo whenever I am home. I have also done wrestling for 4 years and kick-boxing for a summer if that counts. I am originally from near Edmonton, Alberta but I am going to school in Kingston, ON. Well that's about it for the martial arts side of it.

Mike

RunningDog
12/06/2006 2:48pm,
Welcome. You have stumbled on a fountain of useful information, it's just next to a bigger fountain of insults, put-downs and foul language, but it's there nonetheless.

Your MA has a funny name. Shitto-ryu, awesome

ViciousFlamingo
12/06/2006 2:50pm,
Your MA has a funny name. Shitto-ryu, awesome

That was totally mature, RD. Your witty banter an dcommentary has added much to this discussion. ;)

Welcome to Bullshido.

MastaChance
12/06/2006 2:58pm,
What's up Mike my name is Chance, I have studied Tae Kwon do, Muay Thai, Judo, and Brzilian Jiu-jitsu. I am new as well, so it's good not to be the only one, later.

Chance

TehDeadlyDimMak
12/06/2006 3:26pm,
My name is Fedor.

I am a Sambo and Judo World Champion and also the holder of the Pride Heavyweight Title. I along with my brother Aleksander frequently visit these forums. It is the key to all of our success.

Axelton
12/06/2006 7:00pm,
My name is Fedor.

I am a Sambo and Judo World Champion and also the holder of the Pride Heavyweight Title. I along with my brother Aleksander frequently visit these forums. It is the key to all of our success.

you wish...

Jianshiyu
12/06/2006 9:11pm,
I'm sorry, I should have written that shito-ryu is a style of karate and so is shotokan for those who are not familiar with the names.

ViciousFlamingo
12/06/2006 9:19pm,
My name is Fedor.

Every time someone tells a lie, Darth Fedor grows a new muscle and eats another top contender. Please, think of the Pride heavyweights.

TehDeadlyDimMak
12/06/2006 9:33pm,
you wish...

I said it on the internet so it must be true.

MacWombat
12/06/2006 9:37pm,
I'm sorry, I should have written that shito-ryu is a style of karate and so is shotokan for those who are not familiar with the names.

That's what I was guessing but thanks for the clarification. What is the sparring like in your various schools? (how hard, how often, rule set)

Welcome to Bullshido.

Jianshiyu
12/07/2006 1:58pm,
Typically back in my old dojo it was once or sometimes twice a week. It's not full contact if that's what you are asking but when you do go to strike you just hit the person to show that you could do a full strike. It's like a strike but you do not do a follow through. Best way I could describe it. The only time you do not hit the person is when you go for the head and then it must be close enough to show that you could hit the person (less than a centimeter). All techniques of course must be proper full techniques otherwise they won't count.

As for rules there is the no hit to the head and no strike to the groin. Throws, tripping, catching legs and arms, arm bars, open hand techniques, elbows etc are allowed. The only time say an open hand technique is not allowed is when the user has little control over it and he is striking a dangerous area, like an open hand strike to the jugular.

As for the shotokan style, they tend to be a lot more strict and it never gets around to free sparring which is rather disappointing because it is difficult to improve your "rhythm-timing", I guess you could say, without an opponent where you do not know his next more unlike all the one step, two step sparring in the world.

Hope that is satisfactory MacWombat.

RunningDog
12/07/2006 2:51pm,
There is not nearly enough to criticize and bully the newbie about in this intro thread, so I'll just chuck in a quick 'Welcome to Bullshido!' and I'll be off, cheers

MastaChance
12/07/2006 2:55pm,
Anyone in Atlanta looking to Throwdown?

Iscariot
12/07/2006 2:57pm,
Anyone in Atlanta looking to Throwdown?
Did you miss the huge Throwdown forum?

MastaChance
12/07/2006 2:58pm,
No I posted there, but I am just trying to get everyone's attention.

pauli
12/07/2006 3:02pm,
stop.