PDA

View Full Version : sikh gata martial arts

crosseyed
11/30/2006 7:43am,
Has anybody seen gata before? I saw a demo at a sikh temple last year. It was very interesting. They practiced spinning a rope wheel that is used for a shield. If anybody has a video of it that would be great! Thanks

vinhthekid
11/30/2006 8:35am,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8uRtA--e3c

Letum
11/30/2006 11:27am,
Gatka you mean?

Eh, it doesn't really seem terribly effective.

Good points: They preach Spear > Sword. Cool dress.

Bad points: Don't really spar, just ridiculous "one, two" drills. The techniques themselves suck, Footwork is too dance like.

And the unarmed is HILARIOUS, honestly.

And so on and so forth.

slideyfoot
11/30/2006 12:49pm,
See this (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35833&highlight=gatka) thread.

From what I've seen at the SENI, they certainly put on a good show, though it doesn't exactly look practical. :icon_wink

hoodedmonk
11/30/2006 5:37pm,
Has anybody seen gata before? I saw a demo at a sikh temple last year. It was very interesting. They practiced spinning a rope wheel that is used for a shield. If anybody has a video of it that would be great! ThanksI guess its something different! however I think they would be no match for fencing or kendo.

hoodedmonk
11/30/2006 5:39pm,
you couldnt pay me enough money to wear one of those outfits in public though.

selfcritical
11/30/2006 5:40pm,
The last time we had a thread on this, we saw both sparring and some alive drilling mixed in with the silly dance. They use the shield effectively and evade with the upper body pretty well. Spinning is silly

hoodedmonk
11/30/2006 5:49pm,
The last time we had a thread on this, we saw both sparring and some alive drilling mixed in with the silly dance. They use the shield effectively and evade with the upper body pretty well. Spinning is sillyI have to give 'em that! I dont know how in the hell they block with those tiny sheilds! I would much rather have A viking sheild.

eyebeams
11/30/2006 5:50pm,
The last time we had a thread on this, we saw both sparring and some alive drilling mixed in with the silly dance. They use the shield effectively and evade with the upper body pretty well. Spinning is silly

The "silly spinning" was used to keep rioters away from the Golden Temple in Amritsar.

As far gatka versus fencing, I posted a video of practitioners of classical fencing and gatka sparring the last time this came up. They were about even.

hoodedmonk
11/30/2006 6:02pm,
The "silly spinning" was used to keep rioters away from the Golden Temple in Amritsar.

As far gatka versus fencing, I posted a video of practitioners of classical fencing and gatka sparring the last time this came up. They were about even.I have a hard time believing a good fencer wouldnt make short work out of them.

eyebeams
11/30/2006 6:13pm,
Gatka you mean?

Eh, it doesn't really seem terribly effective.

Good points: They preach Spear > Sword. Cool dress.

Bad points: Don't really spar, just ridiculous "one, two" drills. The techniques themselves suck, Footwork is too dance like.

And the unarmed is HILARIOUS, honestly.

And so on and so forth.

You're factually incorrect in several respects:

1) They do spar -- a lot. There are organized gatka competitions. This vid shows a friendly match:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-349973800769149631&q=gatka&hl=en

Gatka sparring is much different than its demonstrations, which are more like improvised forms and drills.

2) There is no real unarmed component for gatka. There's unarmed combat taught be one Sikh martial art. Aside from that, gatka does have some unarmed tricks that accompany short weapons.

So gatka is a live-trained martial art tested in actual fighting in recent history.

hoodedmonk
11/30/2006 6:19pm,
You're factually incorrect in several respects:

1) They do spar -- a lot. There are organized gatka competitions. This vid shows a friendly match:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-349973800769149631&q=gatka&hl=en

Gatka sparring is much different than its demonstrations, which are more like improvised forms and drills.

2) There is no real unarmed component for gatka. There's unarmed combat taught be one Sikh martial art. Aside from that, gatka does have some unarmed tricks that accompany short weapons.

So gatka is a live-trained martial art tested in actual fighting in recent history.more impressive than the first video.

eyebeams
11/30/2006 6:22pm,
I have a hard time believing a good fencer wouldnt make short work out of them.

In an actual armed fight? With a WMA practitioner I can't see much difference. Gatka competition has a pretty free rules set. The "dance-like" footwork is important because gatka rules allow cutting attacks to the legs. The spinning teachniques actually have a back-protection component that's important in competition because the back and the head are the highest-scoring targets,

hoodedmonk
11/30/2006 6:31pm,
In an actual armed fight? With a WMA practitioner I can't see much difference. Gatka competition has a pretty free rules set. The "dance-like" footwork is important because gatka rules allow cutting attacks to the legs. The spinning teachniques actually have a back-protection component that's important in competition because the back and the head are the highest-scoring targets,I just think that a fencers thrusting attack would be to straight and quick for a Gatka pract. to use any spin or hoping around tactics.I will admit though that I have no sword knowlege what so ever.

selfcritical
11/30/2006 7:01pm,
Getting off the line of attack works pretty well against linear thrusts. As a pretty good fencer, I'll attest that someone who doesn't stand right in front of you kind of jacks you up. Fencers tend to be the best athletes of sword art guys, but the art is very narrow in it's focus. Generally when i've seen olympic style fencers in style vs style matches winning, it's off of superior attributes.