PDA

View Full Version : Eh what up?

DarkXacreD
11/29/2006 11:54pm,
I joined a few days ago. Just saying hi.

Let's see here..
I'm Chinese, obese, and balding. In my spare time I like to chain smoke, gamble, and guzzle cheap beer.

j/k

I'm currently a film student at Ryerson University, Toronto ON.

I've lived mostly in Hong Kong and I've been trained mostly in 3 martial arts; all of which are generally bashed by functional martial arts enthusiasts: wing chun, tae kwon do, and (Chen style) tai chi.

I've also tried my hand at JKD (I have no idea what sort, I'm guess jun fan or something) and wushu.

I'd say I've gotten the most out of wing chun, and achieved the most out of tai chi. The concepts and techniques from those two martial arts kept me slightly ahead of the game in tae kwon do (but maybe it was just a McDojo).

Either way, having won a number of forms competitions for tai chi (I'm technically a world class athlete, but competitions in mainland China don't really count, do they?), I came to the conclusion that hand-to-hand combat was obselete and turned my back on it to pursue my interest in martial arts tricks and other show/performance orientated martial arts styles.

However, being one who strives to be as well-rounded as possible in all respects (choosing courses in school was so damn hard, it's not even funny), I wish to rekindle, and further improve my abilities in terms of functional martial art skills.

I'm currently planning on checking out www.ultimatemartialarts.ca for MMA classes. Does anyone train there/knowingly doesn't train there?

ViciousFlamingo
11/29/2006 11:55pm,
Sorry, can't help you there, but welcome to Bullshido, hope the MMA gym works out for you.

MacWombat
11/30/2006 12:08am,
Same, but welcome to Bullshido.

ViciousFlamingo
11/30/2006 12:16am,
Whooo, the Bullshido Welcome Committee is back in business! Now where's RunningDog?

MacWombat
11/30/2006 12:25am,
Probably killing some chunners. He's the Blade of the WC world now.

PizDoff
11/30/2006 12:31am,
Welcome,

From the thread title I thought this would be either someone making fun of a Canadian stereotype or someone attempting to communicate they were from Canada but not really understanding our subtle nuances of speech.

I train there, for all gyms you of course need to visit for yourself. Several hanging heavy bags, large matted area for Thai padwork. Ring for sparring. Separate male/female changerooms, washrooms, right by Coffee Time so you can have a baker's dozen before you go train. Decent weight room with most of the basics. While there is much more celebrated instruction that can be found in Toronto, the instruction is decent, with my schedule I mostly use it as a place to workout and roll once in a while. Open 7 days a week, classes all days, should be great pricing if you are a student. Kru Paul Minhas (hope I spelled that correctly) the gym owner is a big part of CAMTAO for amateur Muay Thai matches.

Let me know when you are going though. Haven't been there in two months, out with a broken shin, will probably be able to resume in Feb.

DarkXacreD
11/30/2006 12:47am,
It's nice to know that someone trains there. I was talking to one of my friends about the place and he seemed a little skeptical about the whole "$80 worth of products and services for free just for trying out the program", which made me a bit skeptical as well. What's the catch? And what's this "Equipment starter kit?"

I'm also a bit confused by the schedule on their website. What's "beginner 1" and "beginner 2?" If I wanted to check out the MMA classes, which times/dates am I supposed to go at? Is that schedule even up-to-date?

vinhthekid
11/30/2006 7:27am,
welcome to bullshido.

hong kong... i want to live there sometime.

PizDoff
11/30/2006 10:23am,
It's nice to know that someone trains there. I was talking to one of my friends about the place and he seemed a little skeptical about the whole "$80 worth of products and services for free just for trying out the program", which made me a bit skeptical as well. What's the catch? And what's this "Equipment starter kit?"

I have no idea. No real catch?! I signed up a coworker there, basically an admin fee for processing payments, $24 for the first two months, and $58 or so from then on. He signed up with myself a the referrer so I could get 1 month training free or something else or $100 credit worth of equipment. I have enough equipment and another source anyways so I promptly gave him the $100 credit.

I'm also a bit confused by the schedule on their website. What's "beginner 1" and "beginner 2?" If I wanted to check out the MMA classes, which times/dates am I supposed to go at? Is that schedule even up-to-date?

They are always good with updating the online schedule.
Beginner 1 are people new to the gym and Muay Thai classes, jab cross knee roundkick beginner stuff. Beginner 2 is harder conditioning with people who have been there longer, hook punches, clinching.
For MMA classes go on Tues and Thurs, best would be Sat though 2-4pm. Mon and Weds is MMA sparring, don't think there is a point going since they won't just let anyone walk in and spar.

Stop talking on the internet and go in for a class, they have no problems with free ones.