PDA

View Full Version : Ok..movin the debate.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Easy E
11/29/2006 7:59am,
This debate was draged over from the noob forum, as to not get off topic. So, as I was saying. I am origionaly a student of Okinawan karate, and used to compete full contact, I just switched to kung fu within the last three years, and I have to say that I didn't ever think that Tai Chi was anything but dancing either. But I have gained alot of respect for the styles effectivness sense I've seen it in action. I don't consider myself a Tai chi guy, I do practice it, but not like I practice the other styles offerd at the school. I honestly don't think I could fight effectivly with kung fu yet, and thats why I still train with MMA fighters, but I can see the potintial of the style. One of my teachers says: " With Tai Chi it takes 10 years to open the door. With Mantis 10 weeks you can open the door, walk down the driveway and check the mail." And I would say with karate 10 weeks you could, walk down the drive way, check the mail, and walk to the supermarket. Anyway, I prctice kung fu because I can see potential with long-term trainning. Sorry about the rambling.

sochin101
11/29/2006 8:11am,
You know you've posted this in the martial arts bullshit section, right?
Are you calling bullshit on Karate, Tai Chi, or what?
You'd be better off discussing this sort of general thing in the general discussion forum, YMAS.

It doesn't mean I don't love and respect you, my child. Go in peace.

alex
11/29/2006 8:17am,
did the OP have a point here?

Easy E
11/29/2006 8:23am,
LOl...hence the noob flag. I thought BS like chat, and it said relavent martial arts chat in the description...oh well.

Roidie McDouchebag
11/29/2006 8:43am,
Training for decades in a shitty style doesn't make it less shitty.

Tai Chi is dancing. Pawning it off as anything else is deceitful.

Easy E
11/29/2006 8:53am,
I moved this debate to another forum, but I'll humor you. I can't argue really for Tai chi, as I said I really don't practice it enough to be any good with it, but it's a pretty damn old martial art, and there are alot of styles that find their root there, so it can't be all bad. Have you ever studied it, or faught a tai chi practitioner before?

Roidie McDouchebag
11/29/2006 8:59am,
Yes, he was thoroughly owned.

MacWombat
11/29/2006 9:11am,
I moved this debate to another forum, but I'll humor you. I can't argue really for Tai chi, as I said I really don't practice it enough to be any good with it, but it's a pretty damn old martial art, and there are alot of styles that find their root there, so it can't be all bad. Have you ever studied it, or faught a tai chi practitioner before?

Being old does not preclude it from being all bad. There are a lot of people with a lot of experience on this board (I'm not one of them) so don't expect that those saying things about Tai Chi haven't had experience with it.

vinhthekid
11/29/2006 9:12am,
the deadliness of the martial art is why it's mostly practiced by old men who want to relax and deal with their arthritis right?

and yes, i've practiced and done tai chi, it's great for relaxation and concentration.

Easy E
11/29/2006 9:15am,
Well then, if that is true, and he was a decent practitioner, then you are far more qualified to speak on the topic then me, being that I have never fought one, nor have I ever fought as one. If there is anyone perhaps more qualified as a Tai Chi practitioner that would like to further this argument..feel free.

Easy E
11/29/2006 9:17am,
I assumed nothing. I only asked.

PirateJon
11/29/2006 9:20am,
Search for posts by cullion for more from a guy that does tai chi with sparring and contact.

I'm still interested in what you call the "potential" of the art. What do you mean?

Roidie McDouchebag
11/29/2006 9:22am,
That's cool, but it would be good if you looked around the site a bit more, looked up clips of Tai Chi, then clips of...well, anything that involves actual fighting and noted the difference. I'm not attacking you here, just telling you it would be productive for you to do some research.

vinhthekid
11/29/2006 9:24am,
****... that's the most polite i've ever heard you cracky.

Easy E
11/29/2006 9:29am,
Well, I've been told that Tai chi is a good way to develop your "jing" for other styles of kung fu, and been impresed by the abilities of other class mates that practice Tai Chi. Oh, and thanks I'll check that out.

OnceLost
11/29/2006 9:34am,
but it's a pretty damn old martial art, and there are alot of styles that find their root there, so it can't be all bad.
This is an excellent example of faulty logic. There were tyrannical monarchies for thousands of years and our modern governments find their roots there - what does that show? Not a damn thing.

And I agree with vinh, Corky - did you get laid this morning?