PDA

View Full Version : Im new here, Hi.

XslayerX
11/27/2006 2:54am,
Im Asuka Kojima. Aiden is my real name, thats my japanese name(im almost half japanese)
I am learning Shaolin Kenpo and Karate. I will probably take Taekwondo soon, and i want another style to add to my resume. In about a year, ill be in college for Wushu training, because my goal is to be the next Jet Li. Im not some stupid kid though, Im completely serious about it, and i have 2 and half years of acting, 1 year or pro wrestling training, 1 year or serious grappling, and then my martial arts training.

Are there any tips for what i should be learning, or shouldnt do? Ill probably try to do competetive Long Fist Wushu while im in college. But i really want a nice kicking style, because i want to be known as an amazing kicker, so what styles focus mostly on that?

MacWombat
11/27/2006 2:58am,
Uhhhhh, oh boy. If this is a troll job 10/10. Seriously. If you really are interested in purely the 'art' aspect of martial arts and not worried about becoming martial at all then your methodology is good. Wushu is definately what you want to go into generally and TKD will develop flashy kicks. The only thing I would add would be weight training since Hollywood likes muscles and maybe Capoeira for your last style.

alex
11/27/2006 3:01am,
you should probably go and try martialartsplanet.com. im not kidding. you wont like it here, you see this is a site for people who do actual martial arts not interpretive dance.

anyway, whereabouts are you? if i were you id go for capoeira, that has some very nice kicks plus you are basically guaranteed some fine latino women in your class. if there are none it means they dont have the real capoiera and you should find another teacher.

alex
11/27/2006 3:02am,
oh yeah, weight lifting fu, if you plan on recreating the scene from fist of legend where jet li does one armed pull ups.

MacWombat
11/27/2006 3:03am,
Stop stealing my advice and adding sex to it.

alex
11/27/2006 3:05am,
i was typing that while you were typing yours, you just finished sooner. your girlfriend said you had that problem

MacWombat
11/27/2006 3:06am,
Well that's where you're wrong. It takes me forever when I'm not with a dude.

Wait, I mean...

XslayerX
11/27/2006 3:12am,
hahaha, i love competition as well as the art of it. I get martial. Thank you for your advice soo far. What i was thinking about and learned so far is that what makes the really great martial artists in movies, is that they have a distinct style. Li uses Wushu(lostfist mostly since he used to be a champion longfist competitor) Tony Jaa uses Muey Thai with acrobatics, Jackie uses Kung Fu and what he learned in Pecking opera. Bruce Lee, i dont even have to say it. You get it. I was thinking I would be a Flashy kicking guy, who uses something Japanese, because i want to target that audience more. Wushu has been done, I dont think there are any really famous Taekwondo people, but TKD has alot of stigma on it for being useless. And if I dont have a style that i claim to use, then I will probably wind up like the people used to play "kung fu thugs" I used to love Baguazhang, but i gave up on that dream lol.

MacWombat
11/27/2006 3:15am,
Yea you probably should go to www.martialartsplanet.com because this site really isn't about that stuff. Hopefully they will give you better advice. To the mass public (in the US anyway) TKD is viewed as effective as is Wushu and all Kung Fu. On this site none of them are with the exception of some forms of Kung Fu. And to be honest I'm not sure that Tony Jaa uses any Muay Thai or just Wushu that looks like MT. Alex will know more though.

XslayerX
11/27/2006 3:18am,
My main teacher, the one who teaches me Shaolin Kenpo is a no BS kinda guy. He is against TKD, and he dosent like Wushu and so forth. But the thinks I can make it anyways. I will check out that site then. I still wanna be here, as i love to be in competitions and that seems to be cool around here.

MacWombat
11/27/2006 3:21am,
Full contact competitions are cool here. That means boxing, kickboxing, MMA, BJJ, Judo, and Sanda tournaments. While wushu tournaments in general may not be looked down upon but even admired for the athleticism showed, they aren't looked at as real showings of martial arts (and often looked down upon if presented that way). If you are interested in the full contact tournaments then stay (of course you can stay if you aren't but I don't see why you would) and grow a thick skin.

alex
11/27/2006 3:34am,
tony jaa does mostly tkd, acrobatics, and movie fu. i love watching the guy but the only thing he has that vaguely resembles muay thai is the knee and elbow love, and even then most of the moves are pretty ridiculous. you want a good MT movie watch beautiful boxer.

XslayerX
11/27/2006 3:38am,
Lol i dont wanna piss you off, but i dont like Muey Thai. I cant tell you why without going into some long stupid story, but i dont like it. I like Tony Jaa. Tony himself is the one who billed himself as MT guy.
my fave styles are
1. ITF TKD
2. Kojima Ryu Karate
3. Longfist Wushu
4. Baguazhang
5. Kyokushin Karate

alex
11/27/2006 3:40am,
i am ALL ABOUT the long stupid stories and i am fucking bored. please share i promise i wont be mean, this is newbietown anyway so i cant or ill get banned.

MacWombat
11/27/2006 9:11am,
Yes, tell us your long boring story of why you hate MT that probably involves some guy who took MT being an asshole (and therefore you hate the system).