PDA

View Full Version : Tiered pricing question

Pages : [1] 2

46and2
11/22/2006 4:17pm,
Is it just me, or does it seem like lots of training places are reluctant to talk about price, and do the whole "first lesson free, come in for a free class!" thing? I know that tiered pricing is usually considered a sign of McDojo-ism, but that seems like the norm around my part of the state and country.

Axelton
11/22/2006 5:24pm,
its conisdered common courtesy to have first class free so if you dont like it you didnt have to pay for it. and what the hell dojo have you gone to that does tiered pricing? ive never even heard of that before.

PointyShinyBurn
11/22/2006 6:33pm,
Some BJJ schools charge less for higher ranks, on the basis that they'll be doing as much teaching as learning.

46and2
11/22/2006 6:37pm,
its conisdered common courtesy to have first class free so if you dont like it you didnt have to pay for it. and what the hell dojo have you gone to that does tiered pricing? ive never even heard of that before.

That makes sense about the 1st class free. There is an MMA (BJJ, Muay Thai, etc) place here in Tulsa that does tiered pricing. They charge based on how many classes a week you attend.

Axelton
11/22/2006 6:42pm,
so do they charge you less for the more classes you go to? or is it the other way around at the bjj mt place?

46and2
11/22/2006 7:06pm,
so do they charge you less for the more classes you go to? or is it the other way around at the bjj mt place?

They charge more for more classes. They also charge based on the number of "styles" you take. So if you want to take MT and BJJ, it is more than just MT or BJJ alone.

Axelton
11/22/2006 8:09pm,
that kinda sucks

leere_form
11/22/2006 8:52pm,
my gym uses tiered pricing. the more days per week you train, the more you pay per month.

i pay $55 a month for two days a week. i can pick whichever two days i want each week, and i can spend as much of the day there i want, taking whatever classes are offered.

i don't think it's mcdojoish, since their "tiered" prices are a hell of a lot lower than a lot of peoples' offered "flat rates" for less training in a week.

now, this may not be the case in the gym you're referring to.

i'm just saying it doesn't mean they're trying to rip you off necessarily.

alex
11/22/2006 9:15pm,
so the more often you train the more you pay

WOW WHAT A RIP OFF

Axelton
11/22/2006 9:26pm,
you'd think an instructor would make it less the more you trained in order to encourage attendance. i guess some are in it for the $$$ not the teaching of martial arts even in MT and BJJ

alex
11/22/2006 10:05pm,
if its a straight up training:cost ratio of 1:1 then yeah you have a point. every gym ive been too though generally has you paying more for more lessons but each lesson is overall cheaper. i do a yearly payment (i think im the only one, heh) at my school because its cheaper than paying once a month.

46and2
11/22/2006 10:12pm,
if its a straight up training:cost ratio of 1:1 then yeah you have a point. every gym ive been too though generally has you paying more for more lessons but each lesson is overall cheaper. i do a yearly payment (i think im the only one, heh) at my school because its cheaper than paying once a month.

From 2 classes a week to unlimited classes is almost 2x the cost. :(

Buffman
11/22/2006 10:14pm,
so take 6 classes a week and you win!!!
makes sense to me

Axelton
11/22/2006 10:28pm,
omg if i could take 6 classes a week and train as long as i want i would be in my own version of heaven.....

alex
11/22/2006 10:40pm,
yeah well if you went at least 5 times a week as any REAL MAN would you would be cutting costs.

46and2
11/22/2006 10:50pm,
so take 6 classes a week and you win!!!
makes sense to me

They don't offer the same "style" 6 times a week. You have to pay for each style.