PDA

View Full Version : MA's in Central Europe

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Tonuzaba
11/22/2006 5:52am,
Greetings,

I hope to start a discussion on the development/evolution of martial arts in Central/Eastern Europe, because it shows a quite diferent pattern from the Western or Asian world.

I also hope to catch the attention of Central/Eastern European members of Bullshido, with the prospect of organizing a local Throwdown at some not so distant point in future.

After a while on Bullshido I realised, that some of the misunderstandings I had here while trying to communicate with people had a different origin than the simple aversion towards my style field... I think it is partly because of the way we view martial arts based on our local experiences.
The communist regime was not really tolerant of martial arts, one of the reasons might be the fear of the official power that the spiritual aspect of these might interfere with the loyalty towards the regime. Around where I live only certain forms of karate, judo and jiu jitsu were present for a long-long time - mostly as part of the armed forces/police curriculum.
Most styles well established/long booed out in the West came here long after the "kung fu boom". For example Bruce Lee's films were never - up to this day - shown in Slovak cinemas. Hip youngsters had to travel to more open-minded Hungary back then to come out of the cinema playing with home-made nunchakus.
People had even less knowledge about what BS in MA's is, or that there could be such a thing. Up to this day, the average person couldn't probably name anything else than karate when asked about martial arts and couldn't tell if it's Japanese or Chinese and couldn't care less.
I believe the boom came mixed together with the boom of natural healing masters after the fall of the official communist regime. From one day to the other the streets were filled with leaflets of masters being thaught secrets techniques by very old Chinese masters in the mystic hills and Ukrainian healers praising the benefits of urinotherapy.

So cheers and let's get it on...

Tonuzaba

Doctor Z
11/22/2006 6:00am,
Greetings,

I hope to start a discussion on the development/evolution of martial arts in Central/Eastern Europe, because it shows a quite diferent pattern from the Western or Asian world.

I also hope to catch the attention of Central/Eastern European members of Bullshido, with the prospect of organizing a local Throwdown at some not so distant point in future.

After a while on Bullshido I realised, that some of the misunderstandings I had here while trying to communicate with people had a different origin than the simple aversion towards my style field... I think it is partly because of the way we view martial arts based on our local experiences.
The communist regime was not really tolerant of martial arts, one of the reasons might be the fear of the official power that the spiritual aspect of these might interfere with the loyalty towards the regime. Around where I live only certain forms of karate, judo and jiu jitsu were present for a long-long time - mostly as part of the armed forces/police curriculum.
Most styles well established/long booed out in the West came here long after the "kung fu boom". For example Bruce Lee's films were never - up to this day - shown in Slovak cinemas. Hip youngsters had to travel to more open-minded Hungary back then to come out of the cinema playing with home-made nunchakus.
People had even less knowledge about what BS in MA's is, or that there could be such a thing. Up to this day, the average person couldn't probably name anything else than karate when asked about martial arts and couldn't tell if it's Japanese or Chinese and couldn't care less.
I believe the boom came mixed together with the boom of natural healing masters after the fall of the official communist regime. From one day to the other the streets were filled with leaflets of masters being thaught secrets techniques by very old Chinese masters in the mystic hills and Ukrainian healers praising the benefits of urinotherapy.

So cheers and let's get it on...

Tonuzaba

Done and done, some commercial organisation stemming from America has now opened a BJJ dojo in Slovakia, at the humble price of 250-300$ a month (depending on how long you form a contract)! This is an easy price to pay considering you're helping to rid the world of communism!

Anti-cold war MAs!

Shawarma
11/22/2006 8:01am,
Check out the list of successful kickboxers, sambo guys, boxers, judoka and MMA fighters coming out of Eastern Europe. Be happy in the knowledge that the Soviet Era and its focus on sports did a lot for combat sports in ex-USSR and that eastern Europeans are now among the best fighters on the planet.

Unless of course you don't consider the above martial arts and want to talk about chunning and ninjariffic stuff, that's fairly new as far as Eastern Europe goes. I also think it's generally more hardcore than in Western Europe, based on seen WC footage from Belarus.

Tomas Drgon
11/22/2006 10:08am,
The most developed martial arts in Eastern Europe are those that enjoyed decades of government support, full time professional coaches, access to the latest training methods, medical support, etc. And those are Judo, Greco-Roman wrestling and to some extent sport Karate. Not so much martial arts, but related are biathlon (cross country skiing/shooting) and "modern pentathlon" (shooting, fencing, horseback riding, swimming, running).

When you go further east to the European/Asian borders, there's a number of local wrestling styles that enjoyed similar privileges. Kurash, Sambo etc.

Tonuzaba: Ja som z Bratislavy, ale zijem v Spojenych Statoch poslednych dvanast rokov. Myslim ze tu zatial nikto iny zo Slovenska nie je. Treba zahajit reklamnu kampan :)

Maj sa

Tomas
http://baltimorejudo.mysite.com

Tonuzaba
11/22/2006 12:26pm,
Tonuzaba: Ja som z Bratislavy, ale zijem v Spojenych Statoch poslednych dvanast rokov. Myslim ze tu zatial nikto iny zo Slovenska nie je. Treba zahajit reklamnu kampan :) Maj sa Tomas http://baltimorejudo.mysite.com
Nazdar, aj som Ta podozrieval, s takym menom... ;-)
Tak to tu teda rozprudime...
Tonuzaba

Tonuzaba
11/22/2006 12:29pm,
Check out the list of successful kickboxers, sambo guys, boxers, judoka and MMA fighters coming out of Eastern Europe. Be happy in the knowledge that the Soviet Era and its focus on sports did a lot for combat sports in ex-USSR and that eastern Europeans are now among the best fighters on the planet.
Unless of course you don't consider the above martial arts and want to talk about chunning and ninjariffic stuff, that's fairly new as far as Eastern Europe goes. I also think it's generally more hardcore than in Western Europe, based on seen WC footage from Belarus.
I made it clear that I'd like to start off a discussion on MA's in CE, not wc in CE...
Yes I know Eastern Europeans are tough fighters. And people around here generally tend to train much harder than in the West, regardless of style.
I think we all might come to interesting conclusions when debating about the amount of time any given MA spends spreading in society...
Tonuzaba

Tonuzaba
11/23/2006 1:29pm,
Well, two guys from Central Europe, of which one is living in the States for the past 12 years - not so bad. I am not alone. Cool.
Tonuzaba

Tonuzaba
11/27/2006 5:52pm,
Doubledammit. It took me so long to find anybody from Central Europe here, and not only was he (Tomas Drgon) doing judo, he's already banned. Man... What a bad luck...
Tonuzaba

Tonuzaba
8/13/2007 1:46pm,
OK, reviving this thread just to see if there are any new members from the region...
So, anybody from Central Europe?

sochin101
8/13/2007 2:27pm,
Because England is in Europe, and because England is the centre of the universe, it stands to reason that I'm in central Europe...

Seriously... would you consider Greek/Macedonians as central Europeans? There were a few Greeks posting a while back.

Tonuzaba
8/13/2007 2:34pm,
Because England is in Europe, and because England is the centre of the universe, it stands to reason that I'm in central Europe...

Seriously... would you consider Greek/Macedonians as central Europeans? There were a few Greeks posting a while back. Hey, bro!
Actually I am looking for people in my vicinity, to have occassional mini-TD's with. Greece is a bit too far for that, unfortunately.
Though it would be a great place to take photographs posing with complicated stances at sunset, right?

sochin101
8/13/2007 2:38pm,
Though it would be a great place to take photographs posing with complicated stances at sunset, right?
Oh, you old romantic, you.

You had me at "vaseline".

Tonuzaba
8/13/2007 2:41pm,
Oh, you old romantic, you.

You had me at "vaseline". I knew you and you alone would find the hidden techniques in my forms...

krazy kaju
8/14/2007 11:45am,
Yeah, my old man did boxing and (illegally) jujitsu.

Jujitsu was outlawed in Poland.

Only sport martial arts like wrestling, boxing, judo, sambo, TKD, etc. were open to be practiced.

A reason for all the great combat fighters that are coming out of post-commie countries is that in Eastern Europe, even if you took TKD, they actually taught you how to fight (for TKDers how to kickbox) and afterwards taught you the katas and all that other cute bullshit.

In Eastern Europe, or at least in Poland, I'd say that 95% train hardcore, even those martial arts that in the 'proper West' are considered bullshido. Aikidokas, karatekas, and TKDers all train hard, not like in America.

For example, the guy that brought BJJ to Poland used to practiced Aikido (4th Dan Aikikai) and boxing. Then he trained BJJ after he saw a tape of UFC 1, and opened up a BJJ school in Poland. My point is that even Polish Aikidokas know how to train hard, which deserves at least some respect, unlike Western ones.

krazy kaju
8/14/2007 11:51am,
Hey, bro!
Actually I am looking for people in my vicinity, to have occassional mini-TD's with. Greece is a bit too far for that, unfortunately.

Bro, too bad you don't live in Poznan, Poland.

We have Judo, BJJ, MT, Aikido, Krav Maga, boxing, submission wrestling, jujitsu, karate, TKD, and of course boxing and both styles of wrestling, pretty much nearly every style that's popular, just that here there's hardcore training for everything... If you lived here, we could have some pretty bitchin throwdowns.

Unfortunately I only live two months of the year in Poland, so I wouldn't be able to attend a TD with you... :cwm10:

M1K3
8/14/2007 12:13pm,
Dude, I have no intention of messing up your thread, because I do not fit any of the criteria but urinotherapy...ewwwwww. :toothy2: