PDA

View Full Version : not so private lesson on stances

Pages : [1] 2

tjwingchun
11/20/2006 7:21am,
Just me being masochistic here but it is the only video that I have prepared for YouTube until I get my system sorted and can start producing more 'professional' footage.

So the idea is more for a technical discussion, but feel free to abuse me as it my shame for 33 years of Wing Chun that I have been conditioned/brainwashed to be able to justify everything I do both practically as well as theoretically.

Here are sections from a private lesson with my student Mike, just interested in how it translates outside the session as it was not meant as a promotional thing, simply him recording his class so he could review it later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=020nklHTG6E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUgmOz6l-FY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWGBOeYE0KQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoCn1ZI5t-w

Already had a comment:-

"How can two be bull [email protected] so much on nothing? You don't shift your center of gravity to your front leg, unless you get to the stage where you are qualify to learn BJD. Basically I am witnessing two half ass chiefs talking about how to turn authentic Chinese banquet dishes into Chop Suey!"

My reply:-

"This half assed chef is trying to explain that it is important to understand energy and structure off the rear leg not the front leg, bringing the knives into consideration is irrelevant and I would always rather have a meal full of different tasty bits than an authentic dish of fish nose soup, I have eaten it in Foshan and it is neither pleasant nor filling. I posted the videos to start a discussion on stance work, not as a statement of excellence, please educate me with technical details of what is wrong with the content rather than the usual "That is crap" statement without qualification."

So not expecting too much approval lol. No, seriously I would like whatever criticism there is out there as how can I improve errors if I am not made aware of them.

Cheers and dare say as Arnie said "I will be back!"

Trevor

Matt W.
11/20/2006 2:53pm,
I haven't seen your vids, but I can generalize that any time you find yourself arguing over minute differences in foot positioning, angle of the bend in your knees or whether you have 60% of your weight on the back foot or 55%, you are probably practicing some useless ****.

Please forgive me if I misunderstood the nature of your post.

tjwingchun
11/20/2006 3:05pm,
I haven't seen your vids, but I can generalize that any time you find yourself arguing over minute differences in foot positioning, angle of the bend in your knees or whether you have 60% of your weight on the back foot or 55%, you are probably practicing some useless ****.

Please forgive me if I misunderstood the nature of your post.
My view is that if you are using a leg to drive, then it has 100% of the weight of your body operating on it, a split second later there can be 100% of the weight on your other leg, my useless **** is knowing what goes on at the point of contact not underneath the duvet.

From Bell2Bell
11/20/2006 4:47pm,
I watched the first two clips, and now I want the 11 minutes of my life that I wasted on them back.

Camus
11/20/2006 5:09pm,
What the hell?

Axelton
11/20/2006 5:12pm,
I watched the first two clips, and now I want the 11 minutes of my life that I wasted on them back.

too late no hope for you:hitlerdan

Epicurus
11/20/2006 5:56pm,
Looks fine to me. My problem with WC is that when you're in Chi Sao range you'll probably get clinched if you're fighting someone trained in grappling, but your practice seems highly focues on practicality and live training. A little nit-picky on the details and step-by-step stuff for my tastes but I don't see where much of the criticism is coming from.

Boyd
11/20/2006 6:52pm,
My problem with WC is that it specializes entirely in nerdfighting range.

alex
11/20/2006 6:58pm,
whats with all the grabby hand slappy ****. whatever happened to punching someone in the face?

Res Judicata
11/20/2006 7:13pm,
The best decision of my life was not taking _ing _un. (I did aikido for two years instead . . . At least I learned how to fall).

Ke?poFist
11/20/2006 7:31pm,
I am strangely aroused by your accent...

feedback
11/20/2006 7:47pm,
Wierder than chinese country music.

roly
11/20/2006 9:00pm,
is this what most _ing _un training looks like??

no wonder it gets a bad rep, its worse looking that TKD (and i have attended a tkd class)

tjwingchun
11/21/2006 8:52am,
I am strangely aroused by your accent... I am what is referred to as a "Geordie" that is someone from the Tyneside area, North East UK, can you imagine the confusion when Yip Chun got me onstage in Foshan at the opening of the Yip Man Museum to give a speech, people throughout the UK have trouble with my accent never mind the billions watching Chinese TV News.

Mike is from Carlisle which is the other side of the country so his accent has sheepish influences lol.

This was simply a private lesson covering a topic Mike wanted more information on, and that was how to use energy from the floor and up through the legs individually, maintaining a flexibility to fire off either foot once the contact range has been entered as an attacker or defender.

Mike has been with me for a few years now, he also has a fair experience of Tai Chi and over 12 years of Ju Jitsu before he started to train with me, so the discussions tend to be a bit in depth rather than the simplistic approach to teaching beginners.

whats with all the grabby hand slappy ****. whatever happened to punching someone in the face?
The punch in the face comes with lesson one, after that we look at ways of improving the power of the punch by adding energies from different muscle groups, the grabby, slappy **** comes a bit further down the line when learning how to deal with people who can fight, rather than a nugget who is just going to stand there while you hit them.

TheSparrow
11/21/2006 9:31am,
The punch in the face comes with lesson one, after that we look at ways of improving the power of the punch by adding energies from different muscle groups, the grabby, slappy **** comes a bit further down the line when learning how to deal with people who can fight, rather than a nugget who is just going to stand there while you hit them.

IME though, the grabby slappy **** dissolves after about 5 seconds of training with someone who won't play that game. Either they will want to clinch with you, which is very hard to stop with Wing Chun, or they will want to take you down, which is impossible to stop with Wing Chun.
If they try to start punching you, Wing Chun would have you "go in" on one of their punches, but most people don't train realistically enough for this. You can "go in" after a lunge punch, but not if the person has even a few months of training in boxing, or something like that.
Wing Chun might work if the exponent is a robot, but otherwise I am less convinced.

tjwingchun
11/21/2006 9:52am,
IME though, the grabby slappy **** dissolves after about 5 seconds of training with someone who won't play that game. Either they will want to clinch with you, which is very hard to stop with Wing Chun, or they will want to take you down, which is impossible to stop with Wing Chun.
If they try to start punching you, Wing Chun would have you "go in" on one of their punches, but most people don't train realistically enough for this. You can "go in" after a lunge punch, but not if the person has even a few months of training in boxing, or something like that.
Wing Chun might work if the exponent is a robot, but otherwise I am less convinced.
I teach to look to finish a fight by around the 5 second mark, cover/control/contact I never want to do the grabby slappy shite either, if I can hit you with a kick/finger/fist/palm/elbow/knee/head I will, this all depends on many different circumstances, not in all fights do you want to knock someone out, I always say the most difficult fight is the drunken relative at a wedding or funeral, where you have to use control techniques rather than punch your Granny in the face because she has had too any sherries.

I teach Wing Chun as simple body mechanics related to violent confrontations, the forms are exaggerated abstract movements to isolate muscle groups so that they can be developed and understood individually, then brought togerther to gain full bodyweight in techniques and strikes.

To understand Chi Sau it must be seen as single responses to single energy changes even when both arms are being used at the same time, too many do Chi Sau for Chi Sau's sake and have lost the ability to apply the knowledge they have learned in reality.:ingun: