PDA

View Full Version : BJJ for dummies, please?

Agis Silverfish
11/13/2006 6:13am,
Hello.

I've been training BJJ for a few months now, and I love it. I started because you recommended it to me, so thank you very much. I am learning new things everyday, but I still have to put it all together in my mind.

My question is: Could you provide a list of basic BJJ do's and don't's?

Thank you.

Lu Tze
11/13/2006 7:26am,
1. Don't
2. Ask
3. The
4. Internet
5. Ask
6. Your
7. Coach

Teh El Macho
11/13/2006 8:46am,
Hello.

I've been training BJJ for a few months now, and I love it. I started because you recommended it to me, so thank you very much. I am learning new things everyday, but I still have to put it all together in my mind.Dude, just keep a log of what you do at every class, what you learned, what occurred during rolling, if you were submitted and how and why, write notes on what you are having problems with.

More importantly, be aware of the questions you want to ask, and ask them to your instructor. Just keep a log, methodically and to last nitty gritty detail, and then at the end of the week, see what you did during that week.

My question is: Could you provide a list of basic BJJ do's and don't's?

Thank you.

Lu Tze preciously captured a good list of WHAT NOT TO DO... specially if you have been training for several months already. C'mon dude. I'm pretty sure your instructor could answer specific questions right after class much, much, much better than anyone on the internet can answer incredibly vague questions.

Shawarma
11/13/2006 9:11am,
My best noob tip: When pinned, get up on your side, not flat on your back. My defense increased 300% as soon as I realized this was a good idea.

PirateJon
11/13/2006 10:39am,
Do: Shower daily.

Don't: Have a nasty fungus or a smelly gi.

RoninPimp
11/13/2006 10:46am,
Tap fast.

Try what you're taught, even if you screw it up and get tapped.

chingythingy
11/13/2006 11:13am,
Learn moves relaxed and slow. When you have the feel, try with a little resistance and speed up only as much as needed to apply technique. Then try to apply in rolling.

Oscar Goldman
11/13/2006 12:24pm,
Again, ask your coach. It's a little odd that you say you've been at it for a few months and are asking a forum for do's and don'ts.

Read EVERYTHING in the Dept. of Homeland Security forum, there is an insane amount of information from experienced grapplers.

You can also search by username for all posts by Johnny S., Ronin Pimp, Aesopian, and Yrkoon to name a few (there are many others, that's off the top of my head).

Bullshido is a goldmine for white belt grapplers, you just have to put in the leg work.

Go here also, particularly for the "beginning grappling" articles:

http://www.grapplearts.com/Articles-And-Interviews.htm

sochin101
11/13/2006 3:17pm,
1. Don't
2. Ask
3. The
4. Internet
5. Ask
6. Your
7. Coach

Quoted for aptness and thoughtfulness.

roly
11/13/2006 5:19pm,
ASK QUESTIONS
i notice a lot of new people just nod when the instructor asks "did you understand that" then 5 seconds later its obvious that they did not understand it

you pay the instructor to teach you, ask the questions to him

get in some extra rolling after/before class if you can, ask questions to you training partners