PDA

View Full Version : Just started BJJ at Renzo's

goosetherumfoodle
11/13/2006 2:36am,
I've been reading these forums for a while but I figured I should make a newbie post since I hadn't yet.

I'm a sophomore philosophy major at sarah lawrence college. When I was younger I tried just about every sport my I could but I never liked team sports. Eventually I found and stuck with racing formula 3s and fencing sabre. I fenced for three or four years and it kept me in shape but there wasn't really any way for me to fence when I got to college so I just sat around on my ass for my freshman year. I decided that I needed to get off my ass and get back into a sport. I liked fencing but it was really impractical, when people would start fights with me I would always instinctively go into my fencing stance, which just made me look like an idiot. I decided to get into a more practical martial art and after reading up on sites like this I decided on BJJ.

I've been going to Renzo Gracie's academy in nyc for a little over two months now. I don't get to go as often as I would like, only about two times a week, but it's better than nothing. I've been thinking about doing muay tai lessons once a week on top of that too, which I should be starting soon.

that's my intro.

Oh, question: Would it be better to try and up my BJJ to three times a week or do it two times a week and get one time of Muay Tai in? I have a couple friends at my gym who do muay tai and I would really like to get into it at some point, but since my time is limited, due to schoolwork, I have to choose between an extra BJJ day or the muay tai.

alex
11/13/2006 3:52am,
drop philosophy and do the muay thai imo, since philosophy is about as useful as covering your tits in cowshit and smashing your face into a metal bucket all day

slideyfoot
11/13/2006 4:34am,
I liked fencing but it was really impractical, when people would start fights with me I would always instinctively go into my fencing stance, which just made me look like an idiot. I decided to get into a more practical martial art and after reading up on sites like this I decided on BJJ...

...Oh, question: Would it be better to try and up my BJJ to three times a week or do it two times a week and get one time of Muay Tai in? I have a couple friends at my gym who do muay tai and I would really like to get into it at some point, but since my time is limited, due to schoolwork, I have to choose between an extra BJJ day or the muay tai.

If your main reason for training martial arts is practicality, then you should work on your stand-up as well as the ground. On the other hand, if you aren't getting as much training as you need in both areas, then it might be worth concentrating on one until you can afford the time and money to get the most out of both.

Personally, I'm in a similar situation, as I train twice a week BJJ and once in stand-up (although I'm not training for practicality, I treat it purely as a sport). However, I can up that outside of term-time - is that a possibility for you? The BJJ place I train at has a flat rate for unlimited classes, so that also means when I happen to have a Saturday free, I can pop in for an extra class: is Renzo's pay-as-you-go, or monthly?

goosetherumfoodle
11/13/2006 2:27pm,
drop philosophy and do the muay thai imo, since philosophy is about as useful as covering your tits in cowshit and smashing your face into a metal bucket all day

haha. I know this chick who is into covering her tits in cowshit and smashing her face into a metal bucket. And she always makes fun of me for studying philosophy, she says: "You should stop doing philosophy and start doing something useful with your life... Like Muay Tai. Nothing more useful than that."

If your main reason for training martial arts is practicality, then you should work on your stand-up as well as the ground. On the other hand, if you aren't getting as much training as you need in both areas, then it might be worth concentrating on one until you can afford the time and money to get the most out of both.

Personally, I'm in a similar situation, as I train twice a week BJJ and once in stand-up (although I'm not training for practicality, I treat it purely as a sport). However, I can up that outside of term-time - is that a possibility for you? The BJJ place I train at has a flat rate for unlimited classes, so that also means when I happen to have a Saturday free, I can pop in for an extra class: is Renzo's pay-as-you-go, or monthly?
By practicality I didn't mean that I'm studying bjj for self defense. I was just saying that it is more practical then something like fencing.

And Renzo's is a monthly fee but I spend me off semester time at home, which is too far from the city to drive often. Which really sucks. I'm going to spend my thanksgiving at a friend's place in the city just so I can get a bunch of lessons in.

G8
11/13/2006 2:53pm,

doesn't John Danaher teach at Renzo's? and isn't he a philosophy professor, as well as one of the biggest badasses in NY?

GoldenJonas
11/13/2006 3:53pm,

DING DING DING DING DING.....sigged

MacWombat
11/13/2006 4:01pm,
Monetarily it makes sense just to go to BJJ 3 times a week so you don't have to pay for MT lessons. Also, I think you'll see much more dramatic improvement with 3 times a week than 2 times. I'd crosstrain if you had the time, but you don't seem to. It can wait until your at least comfortable in BJJ.

vinhthekid
11/13/2006 10:44pm,
or you could go to sbgi nyc and do it all for the same low rate. sorry. i nutride my school.

youtube
11/14/2006 12:57am,
yea, I he is pretty good, I only tapped him 5 times.

goosetherumfoodle
11/14/2006 1:42am,
Yeah, I've probably been getting ahead of myself. I'll just try to make three bjj days a week and save the muay tai until I'm more competent at bjj.

yea, I he is pretty good, I only tapped him 5 times.

...oh?

doesn't John Danaher teach at Renzo's? and isn't he a philosophy professor, as well as one of the biggest badasses in NY?

I believe he does but I haven't ever had him teach any of my whitebelt classes. And I didn't know that he was a philosophy professor. But if I see him I'll be sure to let him know how useful philosophy is so he can ponder a different career path with me. Maybe he knows where I can find some cow **** to rub on my tits.

G8
11/14/2006 12:21pm,
I believe he does but I haven't ever had him teach any of my whitebelt classes. And I didn't know that he was a philosophy professor. But if I see him I'll be sure to let him know how useful philosophy is so he can ponder a different career path with me. Maybe he knows where I can find some cow **** to rub on my tits.

he cowrote (ok, wrote) "Mastering Jiu-Jitsu" with Renzo, & I'm pretty sure it says he got his PhD from Columbia. it's a very well-written book (bizarrely so for a grappling manual, actually); he's obviously an extremely bright guy. everybody I've heard talk about him says he has elite skills & would be world class if he competed.

Ming Loyalist
11/14/2006 12:31pm,
so are you going to come to the throwdown this sunday at fight house? we never get any pure BJJ guys at these things, which is weird cause there are so many good schools here.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47377

goosetherumfoodle
11/15/2006 9:21pm,
I was thinking about going to fighthouse, but then I thought that I might hold off untill I suck less.

MadeOfOlives
11/15/2006 10:19pm,
If you're first starting, you are definetly better off doing BJJ three times a week than the 2/1 split.

Also, the most common spelling is Muay Thai- like the first part of the country's name.

slideyfoot
11/16/2006 7:47am,
I was thinking about going to fighthouse, but then I thought that I might hold off untill I suck less.

Going by the one I went to in the UK, you really shouldn't worry about your relative skill level. Its not a competition, after all: good opportunity to meet and spar people from other styles, and hopefully get some tips. Not to mention its always good to put faces to names.