PDA

View Full Version : Intervention Training / Breaking up fights

PhilBaby
11/11/2006 11:38am,
Our training group is reorganizing and we've been doing a lot of thinking about how to turn our Silat training more alive and less traditional and a question came up that we hadn't thought of.

Since I started training I have been in very few fights in teh str33t, but I have broken up quite a few. However, in any seminar/video/training I have seen, I have never run across any techniques, drills or sparring related to breaking up fights.

Considering the number of bouncers and LEOs involved in the martial arts, or just concerned bystanders I would think this would be more prevalent.

Aside from simply jumping in on two people training and trying to separate them, does anyone train in breaking up fights, and if so how?

p.s. SEARCH FUNCTION N00B! / WRONG FORUM N00B! there, I said it first.

DdlR
11/12/2006 5:01am,
Russian Systema, which is at least partly derived from executive protection (bodyguard) training, includes a number of drills that could be adapted towards this kind of intervention.

The thing to remember when researching Systema is that virtually all of their "drills" are improvised rather than pre-set, so they are showing examples of what can be done rather than saying "this is exactly what you have to do". The little that I have seen of their bodyguard exercises are technically subtle rather than athletic or showy and the drills tend to demonstrate similar tactics but with a wide range of technical options.

RuledByEnmity
11/12/2006 8:44am,
Each fight is about something different with completely different people. To think there is a common factor in all street fights and a certain way to stop them doesn't make much sense.

Magnustampa
11/12/2006 9:05am,
When I was bouncing, I always encouraged my guys to learn anything they could, and I would talk to anyone with any purported knowledge of MA to pick up any useful bits. We had one guy who was supposedly a Navy SEAL who taught us a few little tricks, and a guy who had learned some Aikido, but really what it usually came down to in a crowded club was either intimidate the hell out of them and make them think twice, or just plain pile on the bouncers and roll the guy down the stairs. I would love to learn any practical applications, but yeah, I agree, its damned hard since no two fights are the same. Hell, the worst pounding I ever took was from a chick about 5'8" and 140 lbs but who kept managing to land face shots on me over people's shoulders as I was trying to bull a whole knot drunks out the door.

Roidie McDouchebag
11/12/2006 9:06am,
Rear naked choke...

The end.

TM
11/12/2006 11:15am,
www.nappi-training.com (http://www.nappi-training.com)
I have used this at the state hospital, prison and door work. If you are comfident and not out to hurt someone this is perfect.

Epicurus
11/12/2006 2:14pm,
Wear bitchin' specs and use "force multipliers" and Wing Chun.

Also, some rudimentary eyebrow exercises (freehand or with weight added) will be valuable as well.

xenokilla
11/12/2006 3:03pm,
I work at our local MMA fights (south bend IN) and during out last show on October 13th i was dressed as a ninja, now a fight started to break out and i found the best thing to do is find the one guy thats really really angry and get in his face, try and separate him from everyone else. As far as training goes, I'm not sure what can replace being 6'4' and 300lbs, but i think the above suggestions are pretty good. I would also suggest looking into the psychodynamics of the gang mentality, it can really help a situation from getting out of hand.

Cassius
11/12/2006 3:05pm,
Rear naked choke...

The end.Agreed.

PhilBaby
11/12/2006 5:38pm,
"Wear bitchin' specs and use "force multipliers" and Wing Chun.

Also, some rudimentary eyebrow exercises (freehand or with weight added) will be valuable as well."

Exactly what we were trying to avoid. Everyone get your Mini Maglights in Lop Sau and raise right eyebrow. Now once more, with fee-wing!

The conversation started at a bar where we were hanging out, and the bartender who was thinking of training asked if we did anything specifically for bartenders or bouncers. He had a fight break out a couple of nights prior and nobody could break it up until the police came.

We answered with the obvious, "Learn to fight." response but afterward neither the instructor or I had even heard of training for intervening in a fighting situation.

We scrapped the idea, as anything we came up with ended up some BS RBSD situation simulation crap, but I was curious if anyone else did anything related that didn't suck.

Magnustampa
11/12/2006 7:59pm,
yeah, that non-violent take-down stuff used in crisis units is decent enough, if the facility is well-staffed and competent, and it is not a mass freak-out. I worked as a psych tech part-time for a while and we did use it to good effect, but one-on-one it was nearly worthless if someone was being violent. Good if they are just acting out, or hurting themselves, or bashing their head against the wall repetitively...but working at a packed club of upwards of 1,000 people a night and only one bouncer on each level and no radios...yeah, would suck hard trying that...I generally preferred to use size, a good glare and a 5-cell Mag shining in their face. Far from MA or a well-trained approach, but it worked in nearly all scenarios.

What did we do when we had a bar crawl and about 20 drunk, belligerent Marines in there by 2pm (and the crawl started at only 1pm)? The staff all jumped in and rolled idiots down the stairs. Literally. Some things, you just can't prepare for. We later had 3 guys (finally got more staff) who were all shoot fighters of some sort at a school in NoVA and even with all that fight training they sometimes were at a loss.