PDA

View Full Version : JKD

That Guy X
11/09/2006 10:43pm,
Ok, Ive read books on it and practiced a lot of the moves on my own. But think it would be best to take lessons, but i cant seem to find any. Does anyone know any good JKD classes in Massachusetts south of Boston?

PizDoff
11/10/2006 12:04am,
Why JKD?

Soju_King
11/10/2006 12:18am,
Jeet Kune Do is GAY!

alex
11/10/2006 12:24am,
reading boks and goofing around while you watch bruce lee movies does not constitute taking astyle. remove it from your style field, its misleading

and JKD sucks

That Guy X
11/10/2006 6:39pm,
Yea your right i did remove it. But why does it suck?

Ceejee
11/10/2006 9:26pm,
Gravity exists, perhaps?

MacWombat
11/10/2006 10:06pm,
Why do you want JKD in the first place? If you really want a style of no styles or something like that, go to an MMA gym.

vinhthekid
11/10/2006 11:50pm,
functional jkd in MA... SBGi ftw baby

http://www.nexusma.com/

TehDeadlyDimMak
11/11/2006 12:26am,
Yea your right i did remove it. But why does it suck?

Search the forums for Omega and Jeet Kune Do to find a long list of reasons.

Dr._Tzun_Tzu
11/11/2006 1:45am,
JKD is not a style, it is a concept about building your own style. When people make it into a general style then it gets all screwed up.

You can still say you do JKD, but then you should say what actual styles you are mastering to do it. Does that make sense?

Most people doing that just say they are MMA now'a days, since many JKD have become there own "classical mess" and saying you do JKD generally sounds like you think JKD is an actual set style.

Mentojo
11/11/2006 11:38pm,
JKD is not a style, it is a concept about building your own style. When people make it into a general style then it gets all screwed up.

I agree. that was the whole essence of what bruce lee was about.

I personally have a long list of MAs i tried and thoguth sucked.

then i ran into bjj, judo, and wrestled in school.

O and jst to be controversial i think i'll add that i throw in TKD kicks, with out spins, and lots of knees in a clinch.

If you really want to study jkd then you need to go and study as amny MAs as you can to find what works for you.

chaosexmachina
11/12/2006 3:50pm,
MMA is Jeet Kune Do.

chillaplata
11/14/2006 2:35pm,
I don't want to launch yet another interminable discussion about what JKD is and whether or not it sucks, but I think people need to distinguish among several different types of JKD schools:

If a JKD school purports to teach only the specific techniques that Bruce Lee actually trained himself, does not cross-train in any grappling art, and does not require students to spar realistically, then it probably sucks.

If a JKD school defines "JKD" to mean only the specific techniques that Bruce Lee actually trained himself, but the school cross-trains other striking and grappling arts and requires students to engage in at least some level of realistic sparring, then it probably doesn't suck.

If a JKD school (i) defines "JKD" to mean certain broad principles of fighting rather than a specific body of techniques, (ii) tries to incorporate those principles into instruction in "base arts" or "delivery systems" (Matt Thornton's term) that DO consist of specific bodies of techniques, and (iii) requires some level of realistic sparring, then it probably doesn't suck.
For example, an instructor who has trained under Guro Inosanto (like mine) would typically teach a kickboxing technique that is essentially Muay Thai, together with some boxing and savate techniques, and would combine these with Kali and some form of effective grappling (typically BJJ but sometimes Sambo, Judo or another form of submission grappling). Trapping techniques will be taught, but will be tested in sparring, and students will learn to distinguish those techniques they can execute against a resisting opponent from those that seem to work only against compliant partners.

Whether there is a meaningful distinction between this form of JKD and MMA can be debated. The main difference I would point to is that MMA fighters train essentially for one broad ruleset (e.g., UFC rules, Pride rules etc) while JKD fighters may train to fight under whatever conditions or rules are relevant to them. I think the best JKD people train for both the ring (whether or not they actually want to compete) and "teh street". Most notably, MMA fighters typically would not train weapons (at least as part of their "MMA" training) while weapons training is a very significant part of JKD instruction, at least for those studying under an instructor trained by Guro Inosanto.

Another example: a JKD instructor friend of mine was telling me that a few of the students in his school were prison guards and one was an orderly at a psychiatric hospital. Since these guys cannot simply pound the crap out of the inmates or patients that are in their charge (at least while the cameras are running), "their JKD" would consist mostly of Judo, Sambo and other grappling techniques.

Now I can hear both original JKD purists and MMA'ers accusing me of using the term "JKD" as a synonym for "cross-training". Well, so be it: at some point you have to stop caring about terminology and just train something that works. I think someone has already posted a link to Straight Blast Gym, but I will post it again because everything I'm trying to say above has been already said so much better by Matt Thornton. (http://www.straightblastgym.com/index.htm)

i=tehsux
11/15/2006 3:28am,
I thought that JKD was something that Bruce Lee invented because he thought that Martial Arts were to formal or prearranged or something?
I'd like to see all the people that say JKD sucks fight Bruce Lee...

ViciousFlamingo
11/15/2006 3:38am,
I thought that JKD was something that Bruce Lee invented because he thought that Martial Arts were to formal or prearranged or something?
I'd like to see all the people that say JKD sucks fight Bruce Lee...
Lurk more. It will all make sense in time.