PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Intro

M1K3
11/09/2006 8:46am,
Hi, my name is Mike. I will soon be 53 years old and have been doing BJJ (Dirt Fighter, the BJJ Teen thread is great!) for about 3 months, just got my 1st stripe. I did _ing __un for about 3 months a little over a year ago and left because it sucked. I spent 3 years in the Marine Corps a looonnng time ago and wrestled in HS. I am looking for any information I can get on BJJ for the aged and infirm and to take part in anything that mocks _ing __un or Phil Elmore, or better yet both at the same time.

For all you Jarheads out there, SEMPER FI!

Uechidude
11/09/2006 9:03am,
Welcome to Bullshido....

smight
11/12/2006 8:55pm,
Chris Here. I am a newbie to bullshido.com also. I train BJJ in Houston Texas and I am just a beginner but it is really fun.

I love the idea of bullshido because there is just so much crap out there and this is a good way to discern the crap from that which has real value.

Later,
smight

slideyfoot
11/13/2006 4:38am,
Hi, my name is Mike. I will soon be 53 years old and have been doing BJJ (Dirt Fighter, the BJJ Teen thread is great!) for about 3 months, just got my 1st stripe. I did _ing __un for about 3 months a little over a year ago and left because it sucked. I spent 3 years in the Marine Corps a looonnng time ago and wrestled in HS. I am looking for any information I can get on BJJ for the aged and infirm and to take part in anything that mocks _ing __un or Phil Elmore, or better yet both at the same time.

For all you Jarheads out there, SEMPER FI!

Welcome to the forum. I'd recommend you get a supporting membership (its only $20), as then you can read the training logs section, where you'll find a number of older BJJ practitioners relating their experiences of class. Also, worth noting that at the place I train, there is a guy who's 86: I hope I'm that fit when I get to his age!

Tonuzaba
11/13/2006 4:56am,
53 and still find joy in mocking? Must be in good health I guess. Enjoy life and your stay at Bullshido.
Tonuzaba

Axelton
11/13/2006 11:37am,
welcome!
heres the list of things you need to know while touring Bullshido!
1.) TKD sucks all of november but you can still make fun of it throughout the year
2.) _ing _un gives you herpes
3.) f43r the uber bjj nutriders >.> im looking at you El Macho
4.) the forum bullies are your friends
5.)Lurking is your best friend
6.) ninjas kill your dogs

G8
11/13/2006 2:23pm,
Roy Harris' "BJJ over 40" is pretty good:

http://www.royharris.biz/catalog/i19.html

joecos
6/11/2007 4:47pm,
Hey Mike -- sorry to awaken an old thread, but I have a question:

How is it in BJJ for an older guy? I'd really like to give something else a try for some crosstraining, but I am the same age as you, with 13 years Krotty experience, not in the best chape of my life, not in the worst, and really wondering if it is safe/practical for a guy my age to try rolling with the 20 somethiong bjjer's.

Any of you bully's want to add your 2 cents on this question?

Thanks

G8
6/14/2007 1:17pm,
if you train sensibly, BJJ is both safe & practical to almost any age. you don't absorb the same shocks & jolts you would from a striking art, or most anything else trained alive. don't worry about rolling with young guys; I give up 20+ years all the time. it's no big deal. you can always tap. give it a try.